University club for "smart people" ?

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:47 pm
Do universities have clubs/organisations/fraternities for "smart people"/high GPA/high IQ? My university has no Greek life - just clubs and organisations - but I think it would be fun to have a relatively dumbed down Mensa on campus. Perhaps I should just join the local Math Society?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,593 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 12:31 am
@brokencdplayer,
In my day you had to be "smart" to get into university in the first place. I wonder what you mean by a "dumbed down Mensa". I have met some real lunkheads who were Mensa members (allegedly) and one thing I have drawn from that and other experiences is that having some kind of measured high IQ or other kind of score does not in any way guarantee that a person is going to be interesting or pleasant company. Often people who have a strong need to feel they are "smart" and also a need to join a "smart people's club" can be a righ pain in the ass. Also if you join the math club you might get stuck with a bunch of Aspies and total jerks. Just my 2 cents worth.
roger

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 01:35 am
@contrex,
The nice blond lady I used to work for was forming up a club for intelligent blonds. When she speculated on what to call themselves, I suggested The Golden Retreivers. I subsequently "retired" from that position, by the way.
contrex

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 03:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
The nice blond lady I used to work for

To a Brit, a "blond" lady suggests a transsexual...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 03:51 am
I've always found the idea of Mensa or any other similar organization to be rather pathetic. Leaving aside the idiocy of "IQ" tests, what makes someone who scores well on a test necessarily a better companion than a gifted auto mechanic or cabinet maker? The math club makes more sense (if that is the direction in which your interests lie). I had a double major in history and English literature at university. As is the case with philosophy, everybody has an opinion on history, and that someone does not specialize in history is not evidence that their opinion is not worthwhile (so long as it's well informed). Anyone can be well-read, and, in fact, my grandmother, wth only four years of elementary school education (she was born in 1899, when people didn't "waste time" educating girls) was one of the most well-read women i've ever encountered.

By all means, if you are so inclined, a math club might well be something you'd enjoy. But no sort of club will be able to guarantee you pleasant companions.
0 Replies