How to improve your teeth the No Child Left Behind Way

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:21 pm
Subject: THE BEST DENTIST ("No Child Left Behind")

My dentist is great! He sends me reminders so I don't forget checkups. He uses the latest techniques based on research. He never hurts me, and I've got all my teeth, so when I ran into him the other day, I was eager to see if he'd heard about the new state program. I knew he'd think it was great.

"Did you hear about the new state program to measure effectiveness of dentists with their young patients?" I asked.

"No," he said. He didn't seem too thrilled. "How will they do that?"

"It's quite simple," I said. "They will just count the number of cavities each patient has at age 10, 14 and 18 and average that to determine a dentist's rating. Dentists will be rated as Excellent, Good, Average, Below Average and Unsatisfactory. That way, parents will know which are the best dentists. It will also encourage the less effective dentists to get better," I said. "Poor dentists who don't improve could lose their licenses to practice."

"That's terrible," he said.

"What? That's not a good attitude," I said. "Don't you think we should try to improve children's dental health in this state?"

"Sure I do," he said, "but that's not a fair way to determine who is practicing good dentistry."

"Why not?" I said. "It makes perfect sense to me."

"Well, it's so obvious," he said. "Don't you see that dentists don't all work with the same clientele; so much depends on things we can't control? For example," he said, "I work in a rural area with a high percentage of patients from deprived homes, while some of my colleagues work in upper middle class neighborhoods. Many of the parents I work with don't bring their children to see me until there is some kind of problem and I don't get to do much preventive work. Also," he said, "many of the parents I serve let their kids eat way too much candy from an early age, unlike more educated parents who understand the relationship between sugar and decay. To top it all off," he added, "so many of my clients have well water which is untreated and has no fluoride in it. Do you have any idea how much difference early use of fluoride can make?"

"It sounds like you're making excuses," I said. I couldn't believe my dentist would be so defensive. He does a great job.

"I am not!" he said. "My best patients are as good as anyone's, my work is as good as anyone's, but my average cavity count is going to be higher than a lot of other dentists because I chose to work where I am needed most. "

"Don't get touchy," I said.

"Touchy?" he said. His face had turned red and from the way he was clenching and unclenching his jaw, I was afraid he was going to damage his teeth. "Try furious. In a system like this, I will end up being rated average, below average, or worse. My more educated patients who see these ratings may believe this so-called rating actually is a measure of my ability and proficiency as a dentist. They may leave me, and I'II be left with only the most needy patients. And my cavity average score will get even worse. On top of that, how will I attract good dental hygienists and other excellent dentists to my practice if it is labeled below average?"

"I think you are overreacting," I said. "Complaining, excuse-making and stonewalling won't improve dental health...and I am quoting from a leading member of the DOC," I noted.

"What's the DOC?" he asked.

"It's the Dental Oversight Committee," I said, "a group made up of mostly laypersons to make sure dentistry in this state gets improved."

"Spare me," he said, "I can't believe this. Reasonable people won't buy it," he said hopefully.

The program sounded reasonable to me, so I asked, "How else would you measure good dentistry?"

"Come watch me work," he said. "Observe my processes."

"That's too complicated and time consuming," I said. "Cavities are the bottom line, and you can't argue with the bottom line. It's an absolute measure."

"That's what I'm afraid my parents and prospective patients will think. This can't be happening," he said despairingly.

"Now, now," I said, "don't despair. The state will help you some."

"How?" he said.

"If you're rated poorly, they'll send a dentist who is rated excellent to help straighten you out," I said brightly.

"You mean," he said, "they'll send a dentist with a wealthy clientele to show me how to work on severe juvenile dental problems with which I have probably had much more experience? Big help."

"There you go again," I said. "You aren't acting professionally at all."

"You don't get it," he said. "Doing this would be like grading schools and teachers on an average score on a test of children's progress without regard to influences outside the school, the home, the community served and stuff like that. Why would they do something so unfair to dentists? No one would ever think of doing that to schools."

I just shook my head sadly, but he had brightened.

"I'm going to write my representatives and senator," he said. "I'll use the school analogy. Surely they will see the point."

He walked off with that look of hope mixed with fear and suppressed anger that I see in the mirror so often lately.

YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE
What other professions might benefit from a plan like this??
Stockbroker? Insurance Agents? County Commissioner?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 672 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:22 pm
So, this is a post from Joe, not Dough?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:30 pm
I LOVE IT!!!

This isn't original, is it? If it is, get thee to the New York Times, or the New Yorker, or SOMETHING!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:53 pm
Yeah, Joe, this deserves to be published.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:55 pm
You might at least have given me credit for sending you that, Joe. Wink

A friend in Kansas sent it to me. She has taught special ed for 30 years. She received a letter yesterday. I quote: "I just received a communication that because my original certification in Special Ed came before 1982, I probably should not have originally been certified in special education, despite the fact that my degree is in special education. This is all thanks to the 'No Child Left Behind' bill. Never mind the years of experience, the excellent evaluations performed by certified administrators and the thousands of dollars spent on graduate hours to keep my certification."

It just gets worse and worse, folks.....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:04 am
I guess it's already worse than I suspected, Eva. I would have thought a degree in special education would have been at least adequate for the field.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 03:56 am
Hmm....
Didn't Dubya the dunce leave the TX school children behind. When he got the chance he underfunded the very same programm that he bragged about that failed when he was Gov. This guy keeps failing upward. Soon he will declare that he is God.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:03 am
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Eva's right!!! Embarrassed She sent it to me from her friend. I liked it so much I sent it on to a bunch of my friends and then ---dolt --- pasted it onto A2K. It's not mine.

We ought to find out who did write this, meanwhile I hang my head in shame, so this must be Joe Nation speaking and not Dough Nation
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:58 am
Oh, big deal, Joe. I didn't write it! Just couldn't resist ribbing you about it. Laughing Stealing a good idea from a Democrat, then presenting it so it is mistaken for your own...what a typically Republican thing to do. You will make a fine addition to their camp. (Sigh) If only you had money. :wink: :wink: :wink:

You're right, I'll see if she can trace this back to its author.
0 Replies