My nephew, the wildlife photographer

Reyn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:04 pm
I have a nephew, who is an amateur photographer, who takes wildlife shots on a regular basis, right in his own neighborhood.

http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca/photos/twoknives/default.aspx

He really is quite excellent. Some of his shots are equal, in my opinion, to professional ones.

You won't regret checking out his page at the Canadian Geographic Photo Club.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,952 • Replies: 31
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:15 pm
@Reyn,
Mmm! Mmm! I feel like sushi tonight! Razz
http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca/photos/twoknives/picture438648.aspx

Do you know what kind of camera he uses? And the lens as well?

Irishk

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hopefully one with a long lens! Did you see all the bears? Good job, Reyn's nephew!!!
littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:37 pm
@Reyn,
Nice stuff!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:45 pm
@Irishk,
Sasquatch sighting:
http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca/photos/twoknives/picture449285.aspx
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 06:02 pm
@Reyn,
You're right, excellent. I was charmed by that black bear having a munch..
Reyn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 06:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Do you know what kind of camera he uses? And the lens as well?

If you click 'View Details' it gives you some info.

If I remember correctly, he's got a couple of cameras.

I'm going to email him a link to this thread, and maybe he'd like to chat here.

Irishk wrote:

Hopefully one with a long lens!

I believe he has a variable zoom lens.

Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, okay?

Yup, Mike's dogs.

He recently entered the husky in a photo contest.

ossobuco wrote:

You're right, excellent. I was charmed by that black bear having a munch..

Thanks, Osso. I'm sure Mike will be pleased to read. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
When you go to the hyperlink, click on the Details button, it provides details the image's particulars...e.g camera, shutter speed and effective length of lens used.

I liked his later images the best. However, after selecting and shooting wildlife over a 5 yrs span (at least) and improved equip't, it makes sense that he improved. I'd say he's in the big leagues now. I see that he used a 400 mm lens in the later images. That makes a big difference, especially when shooting small birdies.
msolga

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:54 am
@Reyn,
Hello Mike, nephew of Reyn. (just in case you might be reading this)

I thoroughly enjoyed checking out your photographs & I envy you the experience of photographing in the wild.

I confess, my favourite shot just happens to be of my favourite animal, the irresistible otter. It caught my eye right away.
Terrific shot!

http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca/photos/twoknives/images/438511/500x375.aspx
Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:34 am
@Reyn,
I have gone part way through the slide show, Reyn. Your nephew is fantastic with that camera. I, of course, loved the "...fly like an eagle.."

There are professional photographers here, but when you can impress a rank amateur like me, it's something to see.

Thanks, Michael.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:48 am
Thanks, all!

Mike's always adding new shots to his page at the club. They never cease to amaze me. Surprised
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:25 am
@Reyn,
Lovely! Really wonderful.

Wildlife photography takes a level of patience and skill that most people can't imagine. Your nephew is amazing.
Reyn

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:47 am
@boomerang,
Thanks! I'm hoping the photographer himself will come over and offer some comments. Very Happy
Reyn

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:25 pm
@Reyn,
I'm thinking maybe Mike doesn't check his email too often. Wink
Irishk

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:31 pm
@Reyn,
He's probably out taking some great photos!
Reyns nephew

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:24 pm
@msolga,
well thank you! This guy was particularly friendly, there is a photo of him curled up against me on my dock :-)
Reyns nephew

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
The shot you're referring to was taken with a Leica FZ50. It's now my very reliable and capable backup as in August I upgraded to a Nikon D300. I have two lenses in my bag, a Nikon 18-200mm VRII and a Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6. The Sigma produces incredibly sharp and contrasty images for a midrange lens, there are many opinions that agree with mine that it outperforms the Nikon 80-400mm and for a few hundred bucks less. As good as it is, it's very challenging to work with for wildlife in low light. With proper technique and knowledge of your camera's capabilities, it is possible to produce some very high quality images. I'd still like a 500mm f/4 for Christmas please!!
0 Replies

Reyns nephew

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:34 pm
@Irishk,
Thank you! Bears are by far my favourite subject. They truly are magnificent animals and get a really bad rap from the media and hollywood. These shots are taken with a longs lens, but they also are barely cropped at all. I'm very comfortable being in close range to wildlife and the animals seem to be very accepting of my presence. Most of these bear photos are taken from 50 meters or less, the black bear munching on grass was from less than 12 feet.
0 Replies

Reyns nephew

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:41 pm
@Ragman,
If you look closely, you can see the line where I discovered the joy and ultimate necessity of shooting everything in RAW format. The D300 upgrade happened last August and the 400mm was a Christmas present to myself. In March I had shoulder surgery and during my recovery I purchased a reference book specific to my main post processing program, Elements 8. In that gallery you might notice the maturation of my post processing techniques as well, although that's far more obvious looking at the full resolution versions. Everything in that gallery is reduced by about 75%.
At least 5 years is one way to describe it. I've been tracking and photographing wildlife for closer to 25 years, maybe even 30 if I really think about it!!
Reyns nephew

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:42 pm
@Irishk,
bingo!
0 Replies