job seeking, insanity and that Mousketeer word

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:37 pm
The Mousketeer word, uttered by Jimmy, one of the adult Mousketeers, and sung by Jimminy Crickett, is "stick-to-ativity." Later, English and journalism teachers would say there is no such word. No matter: the concept is good.

I have been looking for work -- primarily in publishing -- since turning in my thesis in November of 1997.

It's popular right now to say that to do the same thing over and over and to respect different results is insanity. I haven't done the same thing in the same way but I have shown remarkable perseverance in sticking to my goal. I have looked at other areas -- security guard in a museum (if I have to work in a blue collar post, at least let me work in a beautiful place); university administration; teaching -- and the story has been the same.

I'm one year younger than Al Gore and George Bush and I spent most of the year 2000 asking why no said they too old to be president.

Recently applied for posts at Houghton-Mifflin and at Blackwell US. Totally ignored.

How many of you would keep up? How many would give up?

My earnings this year are under $7,000 despite working two jobs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,183 • Replies: 3
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:16 pm
INteresting...Mass minimum wage is at...what 6.75? So, if I calculate out that you work 40 hours a week...just a guess thats why you work two jobs....thats like 14K. Something wrong there gal. Plus, you've been at WS for how long? Dont they consider you valuable enough to pay you more than that?
Im just stunned.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:46 pm
Do you have the patience to be a Tutor? You can charge $15-$20 an hour and set your own hours. Customers are easy to find by placing an ad in the local classifieds under "Services offered".

Check with your local schools to learn when the report cards for second marking period are coming out. If you can provide references, local schools might even refer customers to you.

Advertising your services as an editor/proofreader can also be very profitable.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:37 pm
No one works full time in retail unless they are a manager. Sales are so bad that people are sent home early.

Substitute teaching actually gave me employment for 2 and 1/2 days per week although I registered in three districts.

I tutored a decade ago. Helped an Asian woman write but she decided to join a gym then did not have time for writing.
0 Replies