should parental authority ever be questioned

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 06:10 pm
parental control and authoritative, dictatorial rule, isn't that what societies have been attempting to evade for centuries and eons of time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,083 • Replies: 26

JTT

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 07:11 pm
@Tifinden,
Quote:

All the time, unceasingly, in every situation, ... unless it's mine.
0 Replies

withoutpeers

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:02 am
I think it is universal that people honor their parents. But it goes too far. I've seen adults in their 50's still concerned about getting parental consent and validation with issues in their own life.

This is unheard of in animal kingdom. In the animal kingdom parents know that their offspring will suffer if they continue to hold onto the relationship. Even God, for heaven's sake, abandoned his Creation so that his children could grow up to be self-sustaining beings. 99.9% of the world cannot fully realize their Self because the bond of parental authority cannot be broken.
thack45

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:48 am
@withoutpeers,
I doubt that, aside from the human, any animal has ever considered parental consequences.
znljubica

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 12:39 pm
@thack45,
Parents need each day to review own authority.
Authority is not built by bans.The parent bringing up a child with own life.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 07:42 am
@Tifinden,
Quote:
OF COURSE!
Sometimes kids need to defend themselves from their parents.

David
Tifinden

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Please leave this forum promptly, for your comment has aroused elemental matter regarding parental abuse, perhaps, and I therefore have no further wish to continue this discourse, based upon the manner of your entreating comments and evocative spite.
djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:11 pm
@Tifinden,
umm, it's a public forum, you can ignore him, but you can't ban him

plus he's right, sometimes children do need to defend themselves against their parents
sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:14 pm
Yep.

Part of parenting includes raising a person who can think for him- or herself. That will include questioning parental authority. It's not fun when it happens but the alternative (unquestioningly submitting to authority) does not make for a healthy adult. Or child, for that matter.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:34 pm
@Tifinden,
I see no reason to assume that your premise is true. Leaving that aside, societies now routinely question parental authority if it comes to the attention of societal authority that children are at risk, or alleged to be at risk.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:08 pm
@Tifinden,
TIFINDEN: ARE YOU AT RISK?
Tifinden

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 12:33 pm
@hamilton,
The answer to that question should be stark and apparent- a resounding and sonorous NO! Lose your spite, or feel the wrath of those who can no longer abide by it!
Tifinden

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 12:42 pm
@djjd62,
Do you mean because of physical altercations, or defense in terms of liberality and civil liberties?
hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 02:31 pm
@sozobe,
sometimes i just like to put on a nice black shirt that says in big white letters, "QUESTION AUTHORITY" just for that reason.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 02:35 pm
@Tifinden,
really, liberal and civil rights are completely controlled by your parents. what they say goes, unless you have a powerful argument. if you are physically abused past the age of five at the latest, then you should probably start calling some hot lines....
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 02:38 pm
@Tifinden,
Tifinden wrote:

The answer to that question should be stark and apparent- a resounding and sonorous NO! Lose your spite, or feel the wrath of those who can no longer abide by it!

probably the reason that the answer is NOT stark and apparent is that you keep on trying to ban people and myself (though i am included as a person) from a forum that I introduced you to. from what i've so far written, I and probably many others here see no spite in my posts, in fact, i had some humor in my question. i guess if i want to avoid your wrath, i'l have to look harder in myself for some "spite" to burn.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 02:50 pm
i think you haven't read enough zits comic strips in the paper....
Tifinden

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:20 pm
@thack45,
Eastern society seems to have effectively established familial values such that they need not fear the anarchy westerners do, save Europe. In short, American values are horrid and festering.
Tifinden

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:21 pm
@hamilton,
Noah, Noah, Noah...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:34 pm
Since nature allows stupid/selfish/perverse/incompetent people to have children, as well as non-stupid/non-selfish/non-perverse/competent people, doesn't it make sense that some people might be doing a less than commendable job in raising a child?

If all adults of childbearing age were of equal intelligence, compentency, morality and ethical thinking then possibly in such a world of veritable human ants/bees, parental authority would always be correct, since it would reflect a standardized correct procedure. However, that not being the case, society has to be concerned about possible child rearing errors of any stupid/selfish/perverse parents, in my opinion.