when is Schroedinger's cat dead, and when is it not?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 10:42 am
@maxdancona,
Clearly a feral cat.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:47 pm
The thought experiment is intended to illustrate the Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum mechanics, which states that a system can exist in a superposition of different states, each of which has only a certain probability of being observed. Only when you go to observe which state it is in, does it assume one of them, in this case, alive or dead. Normally, this effect is negligible for macroscopic objects, but this thought experiment is designed to make a macroscopic object depend on a something very small, the radioactive decay of individual atoms. The Copenhagen Interpretation is in contrast to the Many Worlds Interpretation, which speculates the universe branches into multiple alternate universes in which each possible outcome occurs. Actually, with the Many Worlds Interpretation, you'd observe the same thing, but the explanation would be different.

BTW, moving on to science fiction, there is an interesting recent, low budget movie about these concepts called "Coherence."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 01:13 pm
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 01:22 pm
Schrödinger's cat has been inside the box since 1935 WITHOUT food and water. Though we can't determine the date of death now, it's likely it died 79 years ago.

Let's get over this thing and just simply leave the box shut forever more.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 04:35 am
Always !
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:06 pm
@Tifinden,
It's modern mythology.......................As real as constellations of animals.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 05:16 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:
It's modern mythology.......................As real as constellations of animals.

So, now you're directly contradicting the world physics community. If you don't withdraw from this conversation, I will immediately give you a high school physics problem to see how you do with it. No one who can't do high school physics should presume to tell the world's physicists that they're wrong.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 06:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
The high school kid rambles.........http://bridgingapps.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Mr.-Potato-Head.png
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 06:50 pm
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn226/Lady-Dahlia/schrodingers-cat.gif
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 06:57 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Nope, that is a 2 dimensional image of an oscillating cube, that has no mass, thus contains no cat.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 07:11 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
So if Schrodinger's cat purrs in the woods and nobody hears it, it didn't make a sound.

Thanks for clearing that up.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 07:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhbp8qQCm41qaggoeo1_500.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 05:29 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Brandon9000 wrote:

DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

So, now you're directly contradicting the world physics community. If you don't withdraw from this conversation, I will immediately give you a high school physics problem to see how you do with it. No one who can't do high school physics should presume to tell the world's physicists that they're wrong.

DNA Thumbs drive wrote:
The high school kid rambles.........

Alright, since you presume to tell the world's physicists that they're wrong, let's see if you can operate in physics at even the high school level. Here is a problem such as students in their first physics class would be expected to be able to solve:

A bullet of mass 10 grams srikes a simple pendulum of mass 2 kg and remains embedded in it. The center of mass of the pendulum rises a vertical distance of 12 cm. Calculate the bullet's initial speed.

The minute that you wimp out, I'll write the complete solution.

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 06:10 am
@Brandon9000,
The lack of wisdom, that is commonly called youth (13-17), often believes that it can make irrational demands upon society. So do feel free to use the question that your high school algebra teacher postulated to you, for the purpose of amazing yourself. This topic is old and dead, but comes back to life with each new generation of children, who can be amazed at the hanging objects in front of them.

http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ipad-baby-bouncer-3.jpg

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 06:38 am
That clown is a troll, Brandon--don't feed him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 06:55 am
@Setanta,
Brandon has his trollish impulses also.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 07:12 am
What always puzzled me about that cat is: why is everybody assumng that the cat cannot observe his own state? What's the darn difference between a human and a feline observer, in quantic mechanics???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 08:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I could't agree less.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 08:18 am
@Setanta,
We will agree to disagree.
room109

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 08:38 am
Im rusted on this but i think it is simitainesouly alive and dead at the same time intill u open the box and see
0 Replies