The New Tonto (in the new lone ranger film)

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 10:11 pm
I saw the movie today and I say let the critics be damned!
I have never been so affected by a movie. Sure, there were plenty of unrealistic scenes, but that's what 'willing suspension of disbelief' is all about, right?
When the movie reached its climax and William Tell Overture broke in, I was transformed to my eight year old self, listening to my hero on the radio.
If you're a geezer like me, you need to see it. If you're a young geezer, you should see it. Even non geezers should find it entertaining.

Four thumbs up for sure!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 10:39 pm
I plan to see it. Shows like this are only a few degrees removed from cartoons anyway.
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 11:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cartoonish is a good word. But it will take you back. I guarantee it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:06 am
In the old radio shows, Tonto could go places and get information the Lone Ranger couldn't, since he was in the story line just another Indian and could blend into the background, which a guy in a mask couldn't (tho sometimes the LR was also characterizes as a master of disguise). In the new version, I ask you, how is Tonto supposed to blend into the background if he goes around with a stuffed crow on his head.
roger

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:22 am
@MontereyJack,
Thanks, Jack. There are very few things that make me laugh.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:40 am
Whic reminds me of a moderately surreal moment a month or so ago. I was walking down Brookline Ave, on my way to a Red Sox game, and I saw a guy on a bike, head down and pumping madly to beat the light. He had a stuffed pigeon standing proudly erect glued to the top of his bike helmet. Was he channeling Johnny Depp as Tonto? I don't know.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:50 am
@MontereyJack,
Well that post got me thinking about the guy again, so I googled it, of course, and he has his own website, video, and pix. The stuffed pigeon is apparently named Steve, posthumously, I assume.
 http://pigeonride.com/wp-content/themes/twentyten/images/headers/path.jpg
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 06:01 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
In the old radio shows, Tonto could go places and get information the Lone Ranger couldn't, since he was in the story line just another Indian and could blend into the background, which a guy in a mask couldn't (tho sometimes the LR was also characterizes as a master of disguise). In the new version, I ask you, how is Tonto supposed to blend into the background if he goes around with a stuffed crow on his head.
You've never been to Capitol Hill in Seattle, I guess. Laughing
roger

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 10:00 am
@neologist,
You mean a dead pigeon on the helmet helps one blend in? The more I hear about the rest of the world; the more I like New Mexico.
neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@roger,
I think a crow would work better. And, a live crow you could feed from time to time would be great.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 08:28 am
It wasn't just the critics who damned it, it was the public too. Films aimed at the geezer demographics just don't rake in the moolah.

Lucas and Spielberg in fact, predicted this would be a start of a Hollywood implosion:

Quote:
Speaking on a panel at the USC School of Cinematic Arts, the two blockbuster gurus predicted what might be in store for Hollywood studios and their big-budget features. "They're going for the gold," Lucas said. "But that isn't going to work forever. And as a result they're getting narrower and narrower in their focus. People are going to get tired of it. They're not going to know how to do anything else."

"There's eventually going to be a big meltdown," Spielberg added. "There's going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen of these mega-budgeted movies go crashing into the ground and that's going to change the paradigm again."

I am soooo eager to see it Very Happy
neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 08:35 am
@panzade,
Nooo!

Geezer Power! Geezer Power! Geezer Pow . .

What was I saying?

Drat!
panzade

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 08:59 am
@neologist,
They might recoup their losses if us geezers have to go and watch it all over again.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 09:11 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Four thumbs up for sure!

Well, it has the mutant vote.
neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 02:46 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
They might recoup their losses if us geezers have to go and watch it all over again.
OK. I watched twice. I guess my grandsons gave me a mercy approval Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 02:47 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
neologist wrote:
Four thumbs up for sure!

Well, it has the mutant vote.
You have pointy ears
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:38 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
Films aimed at the geezer demographics just don't rake in the moolah.

$2 movie matinees just aren't going to carry a film eh
panzade

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Maybe when it's released in China.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm from a hollywood early days family. Read the Reporter and Variety early.

When was it - for me some odd date where a woman I worked with at the hospital cashier's office (I would have been eighteen) wanted me to meet her brother; I think, this is a long time ago, they were Hungarian, recently here in the US. I later had more hungarian friends, but this was then. He took me to see a foreign film, something about Christ Must Die or similar, Greek, I think. I didn't mind him. I likely didn't get the film at all, or only a little bit. My mother couldn't stand him, he smelled. (I have close to no sense of smell.) That went nowhere. I assume he gave up as I was too blank. He was tweedy, which, ya know, I kind of like.

I liked movies generally, including some of the famous ones, but I grew to have interest in non block busters, movies that told good stories. And batches of them were not made by hollywood studios.

panzade

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:58 pm
@ossobuco,
I saw one last night that focused on a recording studio in LA, called Sound City.
Damn it was good. Gonna watch it again tonight.