in the end, what is our purpose and how is it defined?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:16 am
@JLNobody,
from what perspective are you addressing that question ?
Are you asking if there is an objective ground for morality ?
because if there is in principle both should match together...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:19 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I myself think that morality is relative to the species needs in a first degree order and on cultural context on a second degree order but never absolute in itself...

...morality is an "operating system" for optimizing productivity in a social species...
(several different operating systems can be proven to work well)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
....it may be the case that there is a pattern to all moral and non moral operating systems but that is an issue in itself beyond morality...

how does that work for you ?
...let me guess, its obscure... Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:03 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
The fact that there are some moral universals, such as thou shall not kill members of your own community without community approval does suggest a "species" dimension. And the fact that moral systems tend to vary with cultures suggests a collective or social dimension. And the fact that some individuals have what we might call individualistic versions of some morals, an ideosyncratic (or ideopathic) dimension. Life is complex.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't believe there is an "objective ground" for anything. All is the expression of human construction, and that is ultimately subjective or inter-subjective. Even "universal" values are ultimately social constructions that differ only in terms of geographical scope, not in terms of their psychological nature.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 12:59 pm
@Tifinden,
In the end, what is our purpose and how is it defined?

Your question presupposes there is a purpose of which you have yet to substantiate. Unless you can substantiate, your question is nothing more than the logical fallacy of the loaded question.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 01:34 pm
@Chumly,
Ah, Chumly's back. Where have you been? We can count on you to provide some wisdom to any thread.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 02:07 pm
You're most kind and it's a real pleasure to read your posts as well. Three years ago I started teaching full time at a large technical institution, so my spare time has more or less evaporated.
hamilton

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:08 am
@Chumly,
yet another tragic tale of this website being destroyed by our jobs and real lives... sigh. Sad
0 Replies

Whitmofomonkysmugla2

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 04:32 pm
Are purpose is defined by what we do if we've accoplished nothing then what was our purpose? Affect someones life? Enlighten someones day? Our purposes are sometimes small so they hide in the shadows while we think purpose means we must affect the world when all we have to do to have a purpose is tge small things u do every day
hamilton

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 04:54 pm
@Whitmofomonkysmugla2,
that's a good purpose! im sure you will!
0 Replies

Tifinden

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 09:09 am
Our purpose is assuredly to thrive in the convalescence and prolific bounty of thought, for as Descartes so acutely defines- "I think, hence I am", and " I am what I am by my mind which defines me as what I am in thought, distinguishable from my body"- (brutally inaccurate translation, but couldn't find the text). Therefore, it elucidates us that our purpose is to live, to think, and to be defined by our thought.
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 09:13 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
thou shall not kill members of your own community without community approval does suggest a "species" dimension.

The same morals of a wolf pack or any other pack animal for that matter.
hamilton

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 09:27 am
@Tifinden,
hmmm...
I'm thinking i'm the smartest person in the world...
OOHHH!!! IT WORKS!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:14 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, morals are fundamentally reducible to our animal nature (i.e., the logic of forming and maintaining societies/packs).
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:01 pm
our purpose , to survive as long as we can , Humanity

defined by the survival of the living things on this planet and their importance of our survival , physically and mentally
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:44 pm
@Tifinden,
Evolve the best way you can.
north

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 06:50 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:

Evolve the best way you can.

agreed , but not just that

but as you evolve keep in-mind the enviroment in-which you live as well

for the enviroment effects and affects your , our , evolution
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 03:05 am
Quote:
in the end, what is our purpose and how is it defined?
U ASSUME that we have a "purpose"; Y do u DO that?????

David
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 02:28 pm

the only purpose we have is to ourselves , Humanity and the home upon which we are made , Earth

there doesn't need to be some higher metaphysical purpose

just us , about us and nothing more than us