Telephone Disturbance

gollum

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:21 pm
How do I stop a stranger who calls me on the phone at odd hours (e.g., 4 am) apparently to annoy me?

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:46 pm
@gollum,
Call the phone company and see if they can block the number
Or just change your phone number
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:53 pm
@gollum,
You don't, you disconnect the telephone.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:05 am
@gollum,
change the number or unplug the phone when you don't want to be disturbed like others suggested.

If this is someone who is targeting you - as in they know you and have your name and number - either have your phone unlisted or give a different name to have in the phone listings. You can give any name you want in your phone listing - it doesn't have to be the same name as the bill. That is also a benefit if someone calls and asks for that name - you know they are using the listing to call.
engineer

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:27 am
@gollum,
What type of phone are we talking about?

If you have a traditional land line with a phone company, call the phone company and file a complaint. Usually the phone company can handle it without further interaction on your part.

I'm not sure how well that would work with cell phones or VOIP type solutions.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:23 pm
I recently had a problem with a company calling me constantly. I'd answer the phone, no one was there. Finally, one day someone was at the other end of the phone and I told them to stop. I kept answering and telling them to **** off. They kept calling, I called the phone company and told them what the problem was, they told me I had two options.
Pay the stupid nine dollar fee (I live in Canada, the phone rates here are beyond stupid) to have the number blocked - as well as any others I wanted blocked or,
I could call a lawyer for harassment. I was a wee bit choked they wouldn't do a damn thing but take my money for a service I felt should be taken care of by the phone company because this was an abusive of the phone line. So, the moral of the story is, the next time the jerk calls, tell him you will be seeing a lawyer or the police to stop these unwanted harassing calls and hopefully, he/she will take the hint. If the calls keep coming do just that and again, hopefully the calls will cease.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:26 pm
@Linkat,
I didn't know you could do that. My name and number are listed, but I don't have the address published.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:31 pm
@roger,
Well now granted its been a while, but I did this when I was single - I gave my dad's name.

I know some one else that did this when they were getting harassing calls.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 05:44 pm
@gollum,
Get one of those ID boxes that lists the caller. Once you have his/her number you can return the favor.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 05:49 pm
All you need is a whistle - when they call again, take a deep breath and
whistle your heart out. They won't call again, trust me!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 06:45 pm
Are there any teenagers in your house. A couple of years ago my teenage daughter got some nuisance calls. One was just a bunch of daft lads in her class phoning up late and putting on stupid voices. One was stupid enough to let me get hold of his number. I checked my daughter's mobile, found out who it was, and paid him a call.

He wasn't in, but his mother wasn't at all happy, and frogmarched him over to my house to apologise when he got in. That stopped it, but they weren't frightening calls just annoying.

The second set of calls was a lot more sinister. My daughter started getting calls on her mobile from a boy she didn't know wanting to be her friend. At the same time one of the boys she hung out with said he was getting nuisance calls from the same person. (I reckon he was in on it, but my daughter didn't want to believe me at the time. She does now.) She didn't tell me any of this until she went to bed, and this had been going on all day.

The next day we called the police, who didn't seem particularly bothered. I phoned the boys mobile number,(he hadn't hidden it). I told him to leave my daughter alone and that the police were involved. He reacted with the typical arrogance of a teenage boy who knew I didn't know where he was. He told me to 'suck his cock,' and claimed he'd been talking to a girl with a different name.

He then phoned me back to have another go, but a bit concerened about the police, swearing blind that he didn't know my daughter, but still telling me to suck his cock. I managed to trick him into giving me his surname, and he was stupid enough to phone on the landline and not hide the number. I got the address fom the phone book and went round there.

I hammered on the door in a blind rage. I'm a pretty big bloke, 6ft big build. And I freaked him right out. When I got home I phoned him up. His had father had rushed home from work and he answered the phone. I thought it important to let the father know I knew where he lived, and he didn't know where I lived. I can't tell you how good that felt.

To cut a long story short, the boy pleaded guilty to harrassment in return for a police caution, and an assurance that I would let the police handle it. The police officer who cautioned him told me the kid was terrified, shaking and trembling, which did my ego the world of good. So it was all sorted when my daughter got home from school.

People who make calls like this are cowards, they get some sick pleasure from frightening you. Don't let them do it. You will get it sorted. From now on, when you answer the phone just pick it up. Don't say anything. If the caller's genuine they'll say something. If it's the pest they'll soon get tired of getting no response. Don't worry, you can get through this.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 04:43 pm
@gollum,
I believe that if you take your telephone and press in the consecutive numbers (the amount of which varies by location) which would then connect you to the company which provides you with your telephone services, then you may request that a certain series of consecutive numbers which link you through the telephone to that of the person who is then harassing you may be blocked, there is a possibility that the company that provides you with your telephone services could then agree to prevent the series of consecutive numbers which link you through the telephone to that of the person who is harassing you from contacting you in the future. However there is a chance that the company that provides you with your telephone services could pecuniary recompense you for such a service.
0 Replies