Uncovered - the original version

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 10:30 pm

Drift Away
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2018 06:29 am
The LP cover reads: “Bobby Scott plays his original music for A Taste Of Honey produced on Broadway by David Merrick.” The 1960 Broadway version (starring Angela Lansbury) of the 1958 British play was embellished by a musical score written by musician, songwriter, record producer Scott. He won a Grammy for composing the song “A Taste Of Honey,” also co-wrote “He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2018 10:31 pm
Turn Turn Turn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 03:07 pm

To all the girls I've loved before
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 07:46 pm
Ouch
Mona Lisa
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 03:57 pm
Tom Dooley
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 06:08 pm
Just heard Nicky Thomas's 1970 reggae take on 'Love of the common people' which has always been a Paul Young song (from No Parlez) in my musical timeline. I mean I knew it was a cover, that's all Young does/did but I never bothered to find the original.

And of course it wasn't Nicky Thomas that recorded it originally - it was The Four Preps!

Arrangement really does change a song's feel.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 06:46 pm
Dang. The Specials' "A Message To You Rudy" is a cover.

Dandy Livingstone wrote and recorded in 1967 as "Rudy, A Message To You". Great song though.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 08:33 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 11:48 am
I don't think we did War yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 02:10 pm
Send in Ye Clowns
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2019 02:36 am
I learnt something.

The original version of West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys was mixed by Florida's Bobby Orlanda, and was a minor hit in 1984. It was remixed by Stephen Hague and became huge in 1985 (that's the only version I knew).

Here's the original

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 08:40 am
Original version of Try A Little Tenderness by Bing!

https://youtu.be/JmRiHVmPZB8
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 04:15 am
The Platters' Harbor Lights was originally recorded 23 years earlier by Frances Langford.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:44 pm
I always assumed Only After Dark from Human League's Travelogue album was an original. Well, no Mick Ronson co-wrote it and recorded it on his debut 1974 album Slaughter on 10th Avenue. From glam rock to synth pop in 5 years. Not really that different - apart from the instrumentation.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 07:31 pm
Randy Hobbs's 'Slowly But Surely' just came up on random - recorded in 1954 - 50 years before the version I thought was a Holly Golightly original.

Cover:

Original:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 09:13 pm
Did we do this one?

The original version of 'Video Killed The Radio Star' by Bruce Woolley

Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn were in his backing band (as was Thomas Dolby at one stage).

Horns production and arranging skills soon manifested in the Art Of Noise and Frankie Goes To Hollywood (to name a couple).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 08:10 pm
Twitter taught me something yesterday.
I knew David Bowie's Sorrow was a cover (all of the Pinups album is covers of songs Bowie loved in the 60s). And I knew that Sorrow was by the Merseys (aka The Merseybeats) because it was listed on the album's liner notes what I did not know until someone tweeted it was that the original recorded version was by The McCoys (of Hang On Sloopy fame).

Of course I love a rabbit hole - I noticed the writers were New Yorkers Feldman, Goldstein and Gottehrer who formed the Strangeloves to jump on the British Beat bandwagon - but because they couldn't do good British accents pretended they were Australian (fair dinkum!).

Gottehrer also wrote 'My Boyfriend's Back' for The Angels before teaming up with the others.

Bowie's is better:
The McCoys

The Merseys

Bowie
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 07:09 am
So I was listening to some old Canned Heat. There was one song 'Let's Work Together' that sounded melodically/lyrically like Bryan Ferry's 'Let's Stick Together'.

Put on my deerstalker hat. The writer of both is credited as Wilbert Harrison who recorded it originally in 1969 (Canned Heat in 1970 and Bryan Ferry in 1976

So here's the original:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2022 01:37 am
I have holes in my music knowledge. One huge one is 60s/70s soul, which for some reason never made much impression in Australia (bands like the Four Tops and the Temptations had few if any charting singles here - even though everyone knows the songs. It's weird. You would have thought the 10 pound poms would have at least brought their love of 'Northern Soul' with them.

Anyway, I didn't know (UNTIL TODAY) that the Pretenders 'Thin Line Between Love And Hate' was a cover of the Persuaders 1971 original.

The Pretenders cover for reference

0 Replies