Uncovered - the original version

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 07:17 pm
Here’s how the original lyric sounded when recorded by Rainwater (who was 25% Cherokee Indian). Writer John D. Loudermilk later modified and retitled the piece “(The Lament Of The Cherokee) Indian Reservation” and under that title it sold over a million copies worldwide for UK singer Don Fardon in 1968 (a top-20 hit in the U.S.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE_QS... , and as “Indian Reservation” it reached #1 in 1971 for The Raiders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZxo...

The original 45rpm single was issued on MGM 12865 - The Pale Faced Indian (Loudermilk) by Marvin Rainwater, recorded December 9, 1959
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 08:13 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 06:40 pm
Someday We'll Be Together - 1961
panzade

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 07:35 am
@edgarblythe,
You’re on a roll e-man.
And your Texans filleted the fins to boot.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 07:43 am
@panzade,
I remember the Dolphins QB from his short stints with the Texans and Broncos. He's a nice guy, but never plays a really good game.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 07:31 pm
hingehead

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 06:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Wait a minute - did Roger Miller do the first recorded version of Bobby McGee? It's geo-blocked so I can't watch hear.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 07:04 am
@hingehead,
Indeed he did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:38 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I am so sick of Hallelujah . . . every other singer in Canada has covered it, and they're all so pleased with themselves.

I learned of a cover the other night on "Vinyl Tap," an "oldies" program by Randy Bachmann (as in Guess Who and Bachmann-Turner Overdrive), each program following a certain theme. On that program he played "Constantinople," and revealed (to me, at least) that it was originally recorded by The Four Lads, a Canadian group, in 1953.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vankaSlfSr0[/youtube]

I had always assumed that it was original to They Might Be Giants.

1. Hallelujah was first released in 1984 on Leonard Cohen's album, Various Positions

2. Cohen once told Bob Dylan that it took him two years to write the song

3. Dylan himself has sung it live, and there are bootleg versions in circulation of his performance. It has also been sung by Bono and Bon Jovi

4. More than 100 versions of the song have been recorded

5. The best known is by Jeff Buckley, whose unadorned version was on his 1994 Grace album

6. Cohen has recorded two versions – the second one appeared on a live album in 1988 – with very different endings; one upbeat, one dark

7. Buckley's version was used in the soundtrack to the American TV series, The OC

8. Other TV shows to have used the song include The West Wing, ER, Scrubs, and Holby City

9. The full version of the song has 15 verses

10. Cohen, a notorious perfectionist, is said to have originally written 80 verses

11. Cohen earnt roughly £1 million in royalties from sales of singles by series five X Factor winner Alexandra Burke

12. Burke's version is the fastest selling download single in history

13. Former Velvet Underground member John Cale's version was used in the film Shrek

14. The Shrek soundtrack album featured a version by Rufus Wainwright, who also sang it in the Leonard Cohen tribute film, I'm Your Man

15. Cohen was once asked why the song is so popular. "It's got a good chorus," he replied

16. It has become a mainstay of live shows by Cohen's fellow Canadian singer-songwriter, kd lang

17. The English singer and songwriter Kathryn Williams once introduced her version of Hallelujah in a live show by saying, "I really, really, really want to shag Leonard Cohen."

18. The song is broadcast at 2am every Saturday night by the Israeli defence force's radio channel

19. Hallelujah is a Hebrew word, meaning "praise Yah"

20. Cohen has said of the song's meaning: "It explains that many kinds of hallelujahs do exist, and all the perfect and broken hallelujahs have equal value."

I read that the record company did not initially want to include that song on Cohen's album. They felt the lyrics were not fitted to the chorus, or something of that nature. I don't recall where I read about it now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 04:35 pm

MusicProf78
Published on Aug 17, 2018

A major #1 hit for Roberta Flack in 1973, this song by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel was (apparently) based upon a poem written by singer Lieberman after having been entranced by a live Don McLean performance of the song “Empty Chairs.” This track was then recorded for her 1972 LP “Lori Lieberman.” Details of the song’s origin have sometimes been disputed, and here’s the Wikipedia link if you care to read about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing...

The original LP was issued on Capitol 11081 - Killing Me Softly With His Song (Charles Fox-Norman Gimbel) by Lori Lieberman, conducted by Charles Fox, released July 1972

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 07:49 pm
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 08:13 am
Anybody mention this one?
7 years before Joan.
https://youtu.be/8AT_Pbtyid0
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 06:17 pm

MusicProf78
Published on Oct 28, 2018

Dionne Warwick, Dee Dee Warwick & Cissy Houston combined for the vocal on this first treatment of the song, top-credited to jazz-pop trombonist Winding, former player in the Benny Goodman and Stan Kenton bands who had released the hit instrumental “More” earlier in 1963 and was best-remembered in some jazz circles for his trombone duet recordings with J. J. Johnson. Jimmy Norman wrote the additional lyrics that were included on the subsequent releases by Irma Thomas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOmc... and The Rolling Stones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4Vp...

The original 45rpm single was issued on Verve 10307 - Time Is On My Side (Jerry Ragovoy as ‘Norman Meade’) by Kai Winding, conducted by Gary Sherman, produced by Creed Taylor, recorded October 3, 1963
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 04:13 pm
Ring of Fire
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 04:14 pm
Ebb Tide -
not saying it's good; just first
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 07:14 pm
I Only Have Eyes For You
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2018 09:53 am
Nice one edgar!
To add to your find:

Eddie Jackson was an alias used by band leader Freddie Martin when he was recording for half a dozen different record companies in the 30s.
He also took Bach’s Air On A G String and molded it into A Lover’s Concerto, arguably the perfect pop song by The Toys released in 1965.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2018 10:16 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:32 pm
Orange Blossom Special

This initial recording of the iconic bluegrass fiddle tune was put to wax for Vocalion Records in late 1938 by Hall and his group, but it remained unissued until 1999 when it appeared on the Sony CD “Country: The American Tradition.”

First issue on Sony CD 65816 - Orange Blossom Special (Ervin Rouse) by Roy Hall & his Blue Ridge Entertainers, fiddle by Tommy Magness, recorded November 7, 1938
panzade

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 09:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Great find. Magness was a terrific fiddle player.
0 Replies