Uncovered - the original version

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 02:57 am
Seminal track from Led Zeppelin's first album - gave Jimmy Page the writing credit

Dazed and Confused was written by the folk-rock singer Jake Holmes and released as a track in his debut album "The Above Ground Sound" Of Jake Holmes in 1967. That same year Jake Holmes opened for The Yardbirds in a show in New York where Jimmy Page heard the song. The song was rearranged and later became one of Led Zeppelin best-known songs, the debt to Jake Holmes however went largely unacknowledged by the band until 2012.

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 08:27 am
@hingehead,
Saw this in an article about Zep thievery.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 07:38 am
This was always a most soulful Leo Sayer track to me. Somewhat surprised to find it on a Three Dog Night Greatest Hits album in the early 90s

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 05:16 pm
Thomas Dolby's 'The Flat Earth' is one of my top ten albums of the 1980s.

This track is just one of an album full of four star songs

Today I discovered it was a cover for the first time. A version of Marianne Faithful's 'Broken English' came up on random - by some guy called Barry Reynolds - who I found actually co-wrote the song with Faithful (and collaborated with her on a bunch of albums). He had a 1982 solo album called 'I Scare Myself' - the title track is the same song - and pre-dates Dolby's version

So I thought I'd check out who wrote it - and it's a guy called Dan Hicks who recorded the original in 1969 with his band Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, a folk rock act out of Arkansas. It's actually quite beautiful - Dolby's version is much more like it than Reynolds' version - but I'm not sure which version Dolby heard, or heard first. Will have to ask him one day.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 03:54 am
@hingehead,
I like it too, White City and Hyperactive! are my favourites though.

If we're doing originals, this was originally a B side, picked up by the Northern Soul clubs where it was first heard by Marc Almond.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:47 am
I did "Tainted Love" already . . . but you left out the most bizarre cover of the song so far . . . Marilyn Manson.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:59 am
@Setanta,
Sorry, I wasn't prepared to sift through the thread, and took a gamble. I bet what I said about Marc Almond and Northern Soul was new though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:12 am
'K . . . I wasn't taking the piss . . . it was just another opportunity to post a video from one of the most grotesque exploiters of adolescent credulity and popular music.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 07:10 am
So I'm cataloguing some obscure download from somewhere - only to find that this track from Bowie's 'Let's Dance'

Was actually originally done by London band Metro in 1976 (7 years before)

and coincidentally discovered that one of it's co-writers (Sean Lyons) also wrote a track recorded by Curved Air - with Stewart Copeland from The Police (before they existed).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 05:56 pm
@hingehead,
You wait long enough and someone will post the the track you couldn't find.

Finally - the original version of Bad Case Of Loving You (a hit for Robert Palmer)

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2017 08:48 am
@hingehead,
Cool. Love this thread hinge.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 08:42 pm
This one of those weird ones for me - where I know the original well and was actually surprised that their was a cover and it actually charted (I'd pretty much stopped listening to commercial radio 6 years before - so not surprising a track that got to 33 in Oz didn't register). In fact I don't think I heard it (as opposed to seeing it listed in chart books) and realised it was a cover until 20 years later.

Anyway I'm guessing many of you know Hall & Oates 'Family Man' - but did you know it was Michael Oldfield original recorded a year earlier?

To add slightly to the weirdness Oldfield's sound so much more modern than the cover.

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 05:47 am
@hingehead,
Very cool.😎
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 05:27 pm
Going a little left of field - but this is the first time I've heard Robert Smith's home demo of '10:15 on a saturday night' which sounds like a slowcore reworking of the version I know, but actually the song's evolution went the other way.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 08:01 pm
This one found by EdgarBlythe and shared on Facebook
You can see how Kenny Rogers 'pop-ified' it.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 08:49 pm
@panzade,
I only just got around to reading this Panz - the last one amazed me.

For the rest of you - did you want to hear the first recorded and released version of 'Let It Be'?

Follow the link Panz posted to read the story about how and why.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20891_6-famous-musicians-who-swiped-their-biggest-hits-from-others.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 09:34 pm
A man posted on youtube a recording of Funny How Time Slips Away. He called it the original first recording. Other websites repeat the same information. The time frame is 1961. He told me his information was correct. I told him that I heard a Willie Nelson recording of it before 1957, as a kid. He never replied to that, but I know my tale is true, because I lived in California at the time I heard it and then moved to Texas in Dec of 1956.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 10:22 pm
I've been away from this thread, because I don't remember what has been posted. I just went through every page. Lots of the videos no longer show. Here is one I did not know. - To be honest I never cared that much for it.
panzade

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 06:48 am
@edgarblythe,
I just reread the thread too edgar. One of my favorites.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 09:35 am

The hit version
0 Replies