JPB

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:10 am
I just upgraded my browser and have managed to get this far. I could do as the home page says and read through the tutorial but I'm lazy. Anyone else migrate? Did you do my homework for me? What should I know? What do you like or not like?

Rockhead

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:16 am
@JPB,
the buttons are all in new funky hidden places. it crashes a lot less.

what's a tutorial...?
JPB

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:21 am
@Rockhead,
It's that thing I didn't read.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:25 am
@JPB,
Firefox is so 2008! Laughing
JPB

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:26 am
@tsarstepan,
Nunh unh.

It's 4.0!!!
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:29 am
@JPB,
safari has been giving me problems lately, i just updated my firefox, i'm liking it so far

tsar is a chrome fan, but i never really warmed up to it
JPB

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:30 am
@djjd62,
I don't like anything new. Upgrading to a new version usually brings on enough angst. I don't need to go looking for a whole new browser.
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:35 am
@JPB,
i've always had a few browsers, when i was running windows i had IE (which i never used), Firefox and Opera, when i switched to mac i had Safari, Firefox and Chrome,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:36 am
@JPB,
Roses are red,
Google is chrome,
Firefox is slime mold
and it needs a rest home

Shakespeare would be so jealous my masterful poetry skills! It makes me so mad http://i52.tinypic.com/fene3c.jpg that I can't rub it in his face!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:19 pm
Some advice from Firefox experts, please?:

A few problems following this latest updated version:

* no "most often used" column (sorry I don't the proper name), which used to be on the left-hand side of the screen. Which makes it impossible to easily access sites if they haven't been visited for a quite while. I've been using the "history" button instead.

* under the "edit" button, the cut, copy, paste & delete functions are missing.

* I just tried to delete some sites from my "bookmarks" list. Can't be done.

Any ideas of what's wrong & how to fix it?
I'm using windows XL & haven't tampered with the new Firefox download in anyway.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:36 pm
@msolga,
I'm still hitting the "ask me later" button.

Will wait for the wizards here to figger things out, then I'll hit "now"

go wizards go!
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:40 pm
@ehBeth,
That just might be a good move, ehBeth!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:40 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Some advice from Firefox experts, please?:

A few problems following this latest updated version:

* no "most often used" column (sorry I don't the proper name), which used to be on the left-hand side of the screen. Which makes it impossible to easily access sites if they haven't been visited for a quite while. I've been using the "history" button instead.

No idea what this is referring to.

* under the "edit" button, the cut, copy, paste & delete functions are missing.

They are there but are greyed out until you define something you want to edit by highlighting it. Try highlighting some text and then check out the Edit menu to see that they are still there. The editing menu is more intuitive. It only activates the choices available for the current task it thinks you are attempting to perform. You can always use the "click right mouse button" to bring up an editing menu too.

* I just tried to delete some sites from my "bookmarks" list. Can't be done.

I was just able to delete a bookmark in my list by rolling the cursor over it and then right-clicking my mouse button that brings up the editing menu. I chose Delete and it removed the bookmark from the list.

Any ideas of what's wrong & how to fix it?
I'm using windows XL & haven't tampered with the new Firefox download in anyway.

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:43 pm
I upgraded to Firefox 4.0 .... and quickly uninstalled and went back to 3.6.

I do not like the 4.0 interface ... at all.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
I just checked out BBB's version of FF 4.0 because I have all that "helper" stuff stripped out of my browser because I never use them.

When I looked at BBB's bookmarks list, there is a link that says "Bookmarks Toolbar" and when I mouse over it a list of submenus appears and there is a "Most Used" list. Hers is empty, don't know why. Will have to dig deeper into things to see if there is a setting that has to be clicked to enable it.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
No idea what this is referring to.

Sorry my description is so hopeless, Butrflynet. Neutral
The Firefox equivalent of the IE "Favourites" with the yellow star button, which shows you all the sites you've visited. (Not the saved Favourites list.)
When you click onto it, it appears as column on the left hand side of the screen.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:52 pm
@Ticomaya,
I didn't at first...I hate having to relearn the placement of things I've used for many years.

It only took a week for me to get used to it and now I can navigate the thing in my sleep.

I have a feeling the user interface makeover had to do with a legal issue over copyright issues between the various browser companies. FF just made theirs different by rearranging the layout of things.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:52 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I upgraded to Firefox 4.0 .... and quickly uninstalled and went back to 3.6.

Thinking of doing the same, if I can manage it! Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
MsO, check this out. It is via FF's help site.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-bookmarks#w_how-do-i-turn-on-the-bookmarks-toolbar

Quote:
How do I turn on the Bookmarks Toolbar?

When you install Firefox, the Bookmarks Toolbar is no longer displayed by default unless you were already using it in your previous version of Firefox. If you want to use the Bookmarks Toolbar, you can turn it on like this:

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button, go over to the Options arrow and check Bookmarks Toolbar.

I have no idea what they mean by the "Firefox button." I stripped all that stuff out of my browser.

On that same page there is a FAQ about deleting bookmarks that you might want to check out.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 09:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, Butrflynet, but at this stage I think I'd prefer to revert to 3.6, if at all possible.
Tico, how did you do that?
Even when I Google "Firefox 3.6 download", all that's available is the the latest (4) version.