Ticomaya

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 09:55 pm
@msolga,
I uninstalled it from the Control Panel. Then I downloaded version 3.6 again.

I made sure to make a backup of all my bookmarks before I uninstalled, just in case.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 10:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thank you!
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 11:15 pm
@msolga,
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
That feels much, much better! Smile
Some days you're up to these challenges & some days you aren't.
Today (& yesterday) fiddling around trying to figure things out just felt like too much!
Life is too short to be spent in such ways when it's the very last thing you feel like doing & your brain has seized up, to boot. Razz

Thank you so much for your valiant efforts to assist, Butrflynet.
The problem was with me, definitely not with you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 07:06 am
@msolga,
I have a "Most Visited" link at the far left of the browser toolbar, mso.

You can delete a bookmark by right-clicking on it and then choosing "delete"

edit: ah, you've switched back. If you decide to give it another roll then the MV folder (blue) is the first one on the browser toolbar.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 09:19 am
Just installed 4, love most of the new features. The screen looks a little funny at first, because you really DO have more on the panel at one time - moving the tabs up to the bar at the top was a good idea.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:11 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Ah, goody! A potential did-my-homework-for-me-doer. What new features do you like? I've finally stopped looking for the tabs where they used to be and have adjusted to the looks of the screen. I haven't explored otherwise. What are you liking?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:18 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Ah, goody! A potential did-my-homework-for-me-doer. What new features do you like? I've finally stopped looking for the tabs where they used to be and have adjusted to the looks of the screen. I haven't explored otherwise. What are you liking?

I like:

- Private browsing function is easily turned on
- The app/extension manager is excellent
- I like the 'app tab' idea that have for windows I want to keep open and running all the time. They suggest it for things like Webmail and that's exactly what I have set up.
- It's customizable. You can make it look pretty much however you want.
- Finally, it just seems snappy. Pages seem to be loading quicker.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

- I like the 'app tab' idea that have for windows I want to keep open and running all the time.

I don't have the Firefox button or the app tab on my screen. I took the default settings (I think). Private browsing is under the tools tab. All of the toolbars are chosen except "add-on bar". Choosing that didn't seem to change anything. Maybe those other features are for Vista? I'm on XP.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:41 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

- I like the 'app tab' idea that have for windows I want to keep open and running all the time.

I don't have the Firefox button or the app tab on my screen. I took the default settings (I think). Private browsing is under the tools tab. All of the toolbars are chosen except "add-on bar". Choosing that didn't seem to change anything. Maybe those other features are for Vista? I'm on XP.

Nah, it's not the OS.

To set up an app tab, take whatever site you want to keep permanently open with a tab and right-click on the tab title; one of the options is 'move to app tab' or something like that. It then becomes a little permanent tab in the upper left.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
coolio! got it.

What else do I want to know Very Happy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:07 am
@JPB,
Haha, I don't know, I'm still figuring out myself.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:13 am
@Butrflynet,
You can drag stuff onto the bookmarks toolbar from the browser window or from the bookmarks listing. Then it's there until you remove it. That's where I'd put things like a2k or WU. Now I've just made them app tabs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:14 am
@Butrflynet,
The "Firefox button" is supposedly a dropdown menu button for things like "File", "Edit", "View", etc. It's not showing up on my screen but that's fine. I like having those options visible.
JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:20 am
@JPB,
ok... just figured out why I didn't have a firefox button. It's because I had the "menu bar" chosen.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:20 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

ok... just figured out why I didn't have a firefox button. It's because I had the "menu bar" chosen.

Yup, it's either-or.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:13 pm
@JPB,
The thing that was hardest for me to relearn was that they changed the order in the right click menu for hyperlinks. The order used to be to open the link in a new browser window or to open the link in a new tab. In 4.0 they reversed the order. It took a week before I was finally able to break my habit of always clicking on the second choice to open links in new tabs. Now I have a new habit of clicking the first choice. Neutral

I eliminated most of the bars on top and bottom. I can't stand all that clutter that shrinks the size of the page viewing real estate. I rarely use the menu bars anyway. I prefer to right click the mouse and use the intuitive menus. It is a nuisance to have to move the mouse pointer up to the menu bar each time to perform a function.

I prefer 4.0 over past versions now because of how cleanly I am able to eliminate or customize the navigation tools that shrink the viewing space.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:55 pm
At some point I will reattempt my upgrade to 4.0, I'm sure.

I managed to avoid the stupid new "Ribbon" on the new Microsoft Office products until 2010 came out, and it's infinitely better than 2007. And I've managed to adapt to the stupid Ribbon. I'm sure I will adapt to the new 4.0 interface as well. I just wish these software providers would give you the option to have the "classic" interface.

When I do upgrade, this thread will be very helpful.
JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
Microsoft has new versions? Wink
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

At some point I will reattempt my upgrade to 4.0, I'm sure.

I managed to avoid the stupid new "Ribbon" on the new Microsoft Office products until 2010 came out, and it's infinitely better than 2007. And I've managed to adapt to the stupid Ribbon. I'm sure I will adapt to the new 4.0 interface as well. I just wish these software providers would give you the option to have the "classic" interface.

When I do upgrade, this thread will be very helpful.

You can customize FF 4.0 to give you the classic interface, though it might take a minute or two.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:17 pm
Under toolbars there's an option for "tabs on top". It's selected as the default. You can put it back the old way by un-selecting it. I've gotten used to them being there and I'm not changing it back now.