Will Americans know what the f*** Cheryl Cole is talking about

Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:15 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'd have to throw myself on the mercy of the court.
Tuff being a union man since everyone wants to seet up as pharur, and nee won wants to seet up as Moses.
Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:22 pm
@chai2,
Why is it they talk like that but sing in English???... Its a mystery...
talk72000

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:56 pm
@djjd62,
I used watched the old British 'the rags trade' and enjoyed hearing their funny accents.
talk72000

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
There was a Playboy playmate called Shannon Tweed who married the KISS frontman so Tweedy wouldn't so ordinary.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Here's a clip you'll interesting iz..

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:18 pm
@Fido,
They talk in English. Geordie is a dialect form of English.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:19 pm
@Fido,
It's hard being a union representative. Everybody wants to be Pharoah, but nobody wants to be Moses.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@chai2,
Thank you Chai, she's very good, but she's only scratched the surface of what we've got over here. No Geordie, Yorkshire, Somerset, or Scouser accents. I do like the cheeky moslem, and I've not seen that one before.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:37 pm
Here's an example of Scousers

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:52 pm
Here's a bit of Vic and Bob. They're from Middlesbrough, just a bit south of Newcastle, but far enough to change the accent. Don't worry about Jordan, she's an awful publicity chasing z lister.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:18 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I used watched the old British 'the rags trade' and enjoyed hearing their funny accents.

If you mean the early 1960s BBC comedy, called The Rag Trade, the people were Londoners, and the Peter Jones character ("Mr Fenner") didn't have much of an accent to British ears. I see there was a 1977-78 season made by London Weekend Television (LWT) but the idea was the same.

talk72000

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 11:32 am
@contrex,
I liked the lady not the stupid guy.
talk72000

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 11:59 am
@talk72000,
We got reruns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rag_Trade
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 12:16 pm
@talk72000,
That hasn't been on the telly over here for at least 20 years, probably longer
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:34 am
Here's some examples of the BBC calling conservative culture minister Jeremy Hunt a C***.

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
You forget the colonies.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:08 pm
@talk72000,
I don't forget the colonies, but I thought they'd stopped being called that along time ago. I'm not really in a position to talk about accents ouside the UK because I live in the UK. From what I've seen though there is more of a homogenisation of accent. If I travel just 50 miles down the road from Southampton to Somerset there is a very distict shift in accent and dialect. I don't think that's the case in America.

When Chaucer began the concept of 'Standardised English,' English was a collection of different Anglo Saxon and Norse regions, all speaking their own forms of English which were all so different, as to more likely to be viewed as different languages than the same one. These differences have become a lot less pronounced over the years, and there has been an increased homogenisation in the last 50 years, the growth of 'Estuary English' is a case in point.

However, there are loads of distinct accents throughout England alone, but it's quite frustrating, as an Englishman, that the only English accents on American television (which is also about half of our television) Seem to be posh and cockney. Maybe Cheryl Cole will change that. At least we get a look in though. I can remember all the hoo-ha about the accent in the excellent Cohen film 'Fargo,' and apart from that film I've never heard that accent on television, which is a bit of a shame.
talk72000

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:25 pm
@izzythepush,
So Professor Henry Higgins would out of date as he was the expert in knowing which part of the country you are from solely by your accent. My Fair lady came out in 1964 based on Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw written in the 1930s.
Ceili

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:30 pm
I wouldn't call any of these accents dialects. Apart from the few words, like sweets for candy, I can understand every word and use or speak english in the same way.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:49 pm
@talk72000,
To a certain degree yes. There was a programme on television a while ago about German audio tapes of British POW's from WW1. There was a recording of a soldier from Surrey. Today a Surrey accent would be described as 'posh,' or estuary English. The recording though was quite 'oo arish,' and today sounded more like the English spoken in Somerset. The English spoken by WW1 soldires from Somerset was even more pronounced.

I think Shaw was more concerned with class and social mobility than anything else. Pygmalian is a bit like Trading Places. Also Henry Higgins doesn't give himself a real challenge. Eliza Doolittle is obviously from the East End of London, and the posh women he talks to at the beginning of the play are all the same class and set as he is.

Geographical mobility and parental background play a large part. I'm a real mixture. My parents are from Yorkshire, and I spent a lot time time there as a kid. I was born in Kent, I moved to Southampton when I was 14, then to Newcastle -upon Tyne when I was 16, and now I'm back in Southampton. My accent tends to vary depending on who I talk to. I spent so much time having to listen to different accents as a kid , and having to imitate my surroundings to fit in that now I do it without thinking.

It can be a bit awkward on holiday, particularly when a 'geezer' from Fulham who I'd been talking to earlier in a cockney accent finds me 'Ha waying the lads,' with a Geordie at the bar. Someone always thinks you're taking the piss.
0 Replies