Taking pictures of children at the park

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:37 am
I'm a mom. My daughter was playing at a water park (lots of sprinklers, water slides, fountains, but no pools deeper than about six inches) with probably a hundred other kids there. She was waiting her turn for the water slide and started mugging and being cute in line. I shot a couple photos of her, which inadvertently included a couple of kids on either side of her. A park attendant asked me to stop taking pictures that included any other children, and to stop pointing the camera at my daughter from a distance that might have included anyone else, as other parents were upset because the kids were in bathing suits... I was happy to comply, but it had never occurred to me that I might worry another parent.

That said, my reaction would have been the same as sozobe's in the situation she described (strange man pointing camera at my daughter in particular).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:13 am
cjhsa wrote:
Fact is, most parks have surveillance cameras installed, especially in areas where children play.

Not around here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:36 am
Not around where? I think you'd be surprised.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:47 am
I'm in Canada, cjhsa.
Due to privacy laws, they're even having trouble using cameras which are intended to catch red-light runners.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:08 pm
Dear Bromeliad,

WHAT A WEIRDO!!!!
Go with your gut...especially since you are a woman and have that
6th sense that all women have!!!!
If I ever see a stranger taking pictures of my children they will be confronted and perhaps followed and then SUED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This guy is obviously a selfish idiot!!!
And if he does this without thinking its wrong...just imagine the skeletons he has hidden in his closet!!! I find this picture taking behavior absolutely revolting and a huge RED FLAG that something is wrong. And as a parent, like I said before, if I would have been at the park that day...he would have a had an entire SWAT team to photograph as well as other peoples children because I would have raised hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep your eyes on that brother-in-law and start keeping a journal on his behaviors. It may come in handy when your sister wises up and divorces him...... : )
0 Replies