What do you think of AV?

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:53 am
In Britain we're about to hold a referendum on the alternative vote. Basically if it passes istead of putting an X next to a candidate you rank them in order of preference 1,2,3 etc.

The tricky bit is when you look at the politics. We have a coalition government that has broken many electoral promises and is carrying out a huge austerity programme. One side of the coalition (Conservative) supports leaving things as they are. The other side (Liberals) supports moving to AV

Labour voters are evenly split. Some want to move to AV and punish the old enemy, the tories. Others would like to give the Liberals a bloody nose, mostly because they positioned themselves as a left of centre party but are now enacting out policies as right wing as Thatcher. They also broke a solemn pledge not to raise student fees.

So what should the labour voter do. Vote Yes to AV on the grounds that they're punishing the old enemy, which is a more long term view, or vote No to AV to punish thje treacherous Liberals. I have already made my mind up, but I was interested in your take on it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,290 • Replies: 12
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
I have no opinion on the politics of AV. What you're describing, though, sounds like the single transferable vote (STV) system that is employed in Australia and Ireland, and which is currently used in UK elections for the European parliament. I think STV is a good idea -- the US should adopt it too.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:28 am
@joefromchicago,
Thanks Jo, and least someones posted. AV is the same as the single transferrable vote, but we don't use it in the European elections. Those are based on PR. I know because I voted in them a few years back and we were told to put an X next to just one candidate.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 12:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks for the correction. I misread the Wikipedia entry, which shows that STV is only used in Northern Ireland for European elections, not in the UK as a whole.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 02:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
I've just got a no to AV leaflet through the door. According to them it's just Australia, Fiji and Papua New Guinea that have AV. It was used in Northern Ireland for quite some time to keep the extremists out during the troubles.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:28 am
Well today's the day we all go out and vote in the first referendum since 1975. It's not looking good for the Yes camp. Most people want to punish the liberals for their broken promises, and abandonment of progressive politics. It's really ironic, most people would probably want AV, but not if that rewards Nick Clegg. The nearbyEastleigh Liberal MP and energy minister Chris Huhne threw a tantrum in a cabinet minister. He needs AV if he wants to be re-elected next time. Last time he only got in because Labour voters voted tactically to keep the conservatives out. They won't next time.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:40 pm
Well it's no to AV, but it's really no to the Liberal Democrats. They were the party with most to gain, and not only have they lost the referendum, they've also lost loads of council seats.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:29 pm
@izzythepush,
That's interesting, the conjunction of probable anti clegg sentiment and the potential of a.v. voting, at the same time.

I don't know what I think re a.v. yet, have to hear more pros and cons. I might well like it. My background is that I'm a california woman with years of political engagement (or non engagement at any given time) behind me. I don't happen to live in california now, but I formed a lot of my political thinking there.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
In the UK we only vote on who will be representing the council or our member of parliament. We don't vote on propositions like you do. The last time we had ab referendum was in 1975. My daughter who is 18 voted for the first time today, but it was the first time either of us had voted in a referendum.

The AV vote as a piece of constitutional legislation should be looked at objectively, but the politics of it all just got in the way. There are three main political parties in the UK, Labour, Liberal Democrat and Conservative, but only two that have any chance of governing Labour and Conservative. Since Margaret Thatcher's term in office the Liberal Democrats have been viewed as the opposition to Conservative along with the main opposition Labour.

For Government we only vote for the legislative, and the political parties decide who the leaders are. In American terms it would be as if the Speaker of the House had all the powers of the president. When Tony Blair got in on a landslide, those constituencies where the liberals were in opposition to the Conservatives found that Labour supporters tactically voted Liberal Democrat to keep the Conservatives out.

During Labour's 13 years in office the Liberals positioned themselves even more left of centre, opposing the war in Iraq, and any form of tuition fees for students. In the last election the Liberals courted the student vote by signing a solemn pledge to oppose student fees. The last election resulted in a hung parliament. The Liberals went into coalition with the Conservatives, tripled student fees, and signed up to an austerity package and aseries of cuts more right wing than Thatcher. The price for all of this was the AV referendum.

People felt betrayed, the main beneficiaries of AV would be the Liberals. The Conservatives were against it anyway. So even though I am a Labour supporter, who intellectually supports AV I voted against it because I couldn't bear the thought of the Liberals being rewarded for basically lying to the electorate.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:03 pm
@izzythepush,
digesting this, yet again - I'm thick - thanks.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:17 pm
@ossobuco,
No you're not, you read the Guardian.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:24 pm
@izzythepush,
But I don't always get it. I'm working it.
I reserve right to be confused.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:50 am
@ossobuco,
Don't beat yourself up about it. Not many people know the ins and outs of another country's political systems. The main thing to do is not make assumptions, and keep an open mind, you seem to be doing that Ok. You can ask me to try and explain anything about our politics/constitution that confuses you.
0 Replies