Did Waterboarding lead to the death of Osama?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:29 pm
@failures art,
failures art
* Selected Answer

I thought it was a pretty good answer too!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Truthbuster

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 10:53 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Re: Linkat
" This administration will not admit that "enhanced interrogation techniques" played a big part in this. The American people will make up their own mind."

Really? Here's what Donald Rumsfeld, Defense Secretary under Bush from 2001 to 2006, had to say in explaining that waterboarding did not lead the US to bin Laden: "“It is true that some information that came from normal interrogation approaches at Guantanamo did lead to information that was beneficial in this instance. But it was not harsh treatment and it was not waterboarding.”

In fact, under waterboarding, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed lied in 2002/3 about the identity of the courier: "Mohammed did not reveal the names while being subjected to the simulated drowning technique known as waterboarding, former CIA officials said. He identified them many months later under standard interrogation"...but still did not reveal the real identity of the courier or lead directly to bin Laden.

It wasn't until 2005 and "Operation Cannonball, a bureaucratic reshuffling ... placed more C.I.A. case officers on the ground in Pakistan and Afghanistan. With more agents in the field, the C.I.A. finally got the courier’s family name." And not until July 2010 that CIA located and began to spy on the courier. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/world/asia/03intel.html

Normal CIA interrogation techniques was one of a broad range of intelligence & spying activities that contributed over many years to Sunday's triumph over Osama bin Laden...including, as Associated Press reported, a telephone call made by the courier last year - the call intercepted by CIA was the final clue which led them directly to Bin Laden's compound. http://yhoo.it/lrDehc

We understand that Republicans and RWingers just can't face the fact that the 9.11.01 attack took place on Bush/Cheney watch, and that Bush/Cheney let Bin Laden get away when they had him caught at Tora Bora...or that Bush took his eye of Afghanistan, where Bin Laden was, and waged a useless & $1T war in Iraq as a senseless part of the "War on Terror"....and finally, hate that it was the Democratic President Obama, derided by RW as "soft on terror" that ran down and killed the world's most sought after terrorist & 9.11.01 mastermind.

Get over it - accept it & give credit to USA's vast intelligence network, the role of Leon Panetta & the CIA...the awesome Navy SEALs and our gutsy strategic Commander-in-Chief...just don't lie all the time. On Sunday, when he announced the news Obama gave recognition to President Bush...try learning from Obama's graceful conduct.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:52 am
It is a mistake for those who oppose torture to pin their argument on the notion that torture doesn't work. It sometimes does.

However the argument about the ethics of torture are really not about whether it can be made to work, but whether it should be in the first place.

Just because torture sometimes extracts useful information does not make it right.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
However the argument about the ethics of torture are really not about whether it can be made to work, but whether it should be in the first place.

In a discussion about whether torture should be used, both practical arguments and ethical arguments should be utilized.

As for whether torture can produce useful information, one could say that a magic eightball is sometimes correct, but I doubt that anyone would seriously argue that it is an effective tool. Similarly, torture provides more false information than factual information; it actually results in worse information than performing no interrogation at all.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:17 am
@DrewDad,
I'm not saying to ignore the practical, just that this is essentially an ethical debate and that too many people who oppose it are married to a flawed practical argument (that torture simply does not work).

That so many people who oppose torture center their arguments around this diminishes (and often cedes) the ethical debate.

If a new kind of torture emerged tomorrow, that had a high success rate of extracting correct information, would you consider the use of torture ethical?

Anyone who opposes torture should ask themselves that question. If their answer is "yes" then the arguments about whether or not it can be successful are pertinent, if their answer is "no" then it's largely a distraction.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:26 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:
Did Waterboarding lead to the death of Osama?

While detainees who were waterboarded did give info that eventually led to bin Ladn, they gave up the info long after the waterboarding as I understand it, and they may well have still given it up even if they hadn't been waterboarded.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:
Would that make our President a war criminal by acting on info obtained through torture?

I wouldn't think so. Someone would have to be responsible for the waterboarding itself in order to be culpable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:54 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
then it's largely a distraction.

If you say so.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:06 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I'm not saying to ignore the practical, just that this is essentially an ethical debate and that too many people who oppose it are married to a flawed practical argument (that torture simply does not work).

However in this instance it's not just an abstract ethical debate... Renaldo is asserting specific things that are contradicted by various news reports. (And then is just ignoring or misreading the news reports.)
failures art

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

It is a mistake for those who oppose torture to pin their argument on the notion that torture doesn't work. It sometimes does.

Quite correct. I'm quite positive that torture often does produce a real result. It's not my moral framework on this topic. In the few ticking bomb threads that have appeared over the years, I've taken it further. I'm positive that raping a man's wife or child in front of a comfortable and physically healthy captive may produce results as well. The basis of results or lack thereof is not what I build my moral, ethical, or practical stance on torture.

I think people have romantic notions and imagery summoning action packed dilemmas from shows like 24 in their head when they think of torture and the time based critical nature of interrogation. I've heard plenty of people say they'd personally do harm to a person to save a million lives. When I asked if they'd rape an innocent person to save a million lives, I've yet to hear someone say they would. More often, they say I'm sick for asking.

I think that's very revealing on their convictions and the logic they use to support their views to justify torture.

A
R
T
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:08 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Was it waterboarding?

No - it was his cell phone.

Guantanamo interrogations were what put the CIA on the trail that led to the cell phone.

(But waterboarding was not involved with those interrogations.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:22 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I stand corrected, feel kind of stupid. 'So Khalid Shaikh Mohammed did give information which led to the eventual death of Bin Laden, just not under water boarding?

It was KSM and another of the more high-ranking captures (I forget the name) together. Between both interrogations the CIA was able to get the nickname of Osama's official courier. That started them on the trail of the courier.

Both guys were among the three who were waterboarded, but that was years before the interrogations were they gave up this information.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion whether the waterboarding led to the information. In my opinion the information would have been gained even without the waterboarding.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:26 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
The extent of the information was that Osama had a courier. Hardly somethin we didn't know.

A
R
T

We might not have known. The internal structure of al-Qa'ida was fairly opaque to us in the early days.

My understanding is the interrogations also gained the nickname of the courier, so the CIA could start trying to figure out just who belonged to that particular nickname.

I do agree with the view that waterboarding was not a factor in the gaining the information, but I suspect that it is something that can never be proven either way.
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:30 am
i've been through all the news reports again

i think some of you are confused, he was shot in the head, not water boarded, he was however slid off a board into the water after being shot in the head, this might be were some of the confusion is coming from

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:44 am
@failures art,
Don't worry about it failures art. I have never claimed to be a role model for public schools and really I could care less what Renaldo thinks about me personally.

GOP Message: Bin Laden's Death Vindicates Bush and Torture
Quote:

In the wake of President Obama's biggest foreign policy victory to date, Republicans have gone out of their way not to give the commander-in-chief too much credit for taking out Osama bin Laden. They are even using the opportunity to burnish George W. Bush's tarnished reputation and validate discredited "enhanced interrogation" techniques used to torture detainees overseas.

"We obtained that information through waterboarding," Rep. Peter King (R-NY) told Fox News on Monday night. "So for those who say that waterboarding doesn’t work, who say it should be stopped and never used again, we got vital information, which directly led us to Bin Laden." Likewise, Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said on Twitter, "Wonder what President Obama thinks of water boarding now?"

The early evidence, however, cast doubt on the notion that torture was integral to finding and killing bin Laden. According to the Associated Press, the courier who tipped off the CIA about Bin Laden’s location had been questioned using standard interrogation techniques, not "enhanced" ones. Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has said that "it was not harsh treatment and it was not waterboarding" that yielded critical information on Bin Laden’s whereabouts. Attorney General Eric Holder was a bit more circumspect during a Tuesday morning hearing, saying he didn't know whether the action against bin Laden was based on information derived from torture. And Wired's Spencer Ackerman has concluded that torture played, at most, a minor role in the hunt based on what we know so far.

By propping up torture, Republicans have also continued their larger project to vindicate Bush, whom they've repeatedly credited for helping to bring down Bin Laden. On Monday, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) paid effusive tribute to Bush, praising his leadership, with only brief mention of Obama's role in bringing Bin Laden to justice. "Nearly ten years ago, President Bush stood before the nation after 9/11 and pledged to the American people that we will not tire and we will not falter, and we will not fail in our quest to defeat those who intend to do us harm through acts of terror," he said. "Last night we heard President Obama tell a very changed nation that we did not fail." The remarks built on a press statement that Cantor initially released, in which he commended Obama for having "followed the vigilance of President Bush in bringing Bin Laden to justice."

Other Republicans have since followed suit: On Monday, Sarah Palin told a crowd of university students, "We thank President Bush for having made the right calls to set up this victory." According to an early analysis by FrumForum, House Republicans were almost equally inclined to credit Bush for Bin Laden’s death as they were to credit Obama. Republicans have also grasped on the discovery that Bush's "secret prisons" overseas may have yielded the earliest information about Bin Laden.

There are a few detractors within the Republican Party when it comes to the notion that Bush's enhanced interrogation helped the US. "This idea we caught Bin Laden because of waterboarding is a misstatement," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC.) told reporters on Tuesday. "I do not think this is a time for celebrating waterboarding." He added, "The problems at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib caused us great misery, and it was a recruiting tool."

Still the meme that "waterboarding works" entered the political bloodstream less than 24 hours after the news of Bin Laden's death, supported by Graham's GOP colleagues and echoed by the right-wing blogosphere. One Bush-era official famously said, "we create our own reality." So it appears do the GOP's torture apologists.

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:45 am
@oralloy,
I don't know. I feel like giving credit to waterboarding for this singlular element of the intel aggregate on OBL is like giving credit to the ads in the opening pages of a magazine for the info you get in the cover story in the center spread.

I don't think you disagree. I'm just making an analogy.

A
R
T
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:32 am
@failures art,
The first clue came in 2003 from enhanced interrogation methods. Now that may not line up with your indoctrination, but it is a historical fact.
sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:34 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
The clue came despite the fact that the waterboarding technique failed to get the truth out of them. (They denied ever hearing the name of the courier, which was deemed suspicious.)
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:57 am
@Truthbuster,
I actually (if you read) state this doesn't have to do with politics (ie Obama vs Bush/Rep vs Dem) - it has more to do with the interrogations and as stated by current administration some sort of "harsh interrogations" - whatever that means. My point is basically we will not know for sure - and to think that no sort of torture was involved is naive. Stating harsh interrogations and not confirming if torture was involved seems like it is highly likely.

To be honest, I am not in a position to determine what is morally right in whether torture is ok under the circumstances and if so, what sort of torture or harsh interrogations is morally right.

The job has been done and the current administration deserves the kudos for completing this.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:12 am
Quote:
*** Did the harsh interrogations play an important role? News organizations are fact-checking the assertion that the “enhanced interrogation techniques” during the Bush administration helped lead to bin Laden. And the emerging consensus is that they played a small role. The New York Times: “[A] closer look at prisoner interrogations suggests that the harsh techniques played a small role at most in identifying Bin Laden’s trusted courier and exposing his hide-out. One detainee who apparently was subjected to some tough treatment provided a crucial description of the courier, according to current and former officials briefed on the interrogations. But two prisoners who underwent some of the harshest treatment — including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who was waterboarded 183 times — repeatedly misled their interrogators about the courier’s identity.” As one former U.S. counterterrorism official told NBC’s Michael Isikoff: “They waterboarded KSM 183 times, and he still didn’t give the guy up.” More: “Come on. And you want to tell me that enhanced interrogation techniques worked?"

source
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:51 am
@sozobe,
There has been no denial that info was gathered from waterboarding. Holder was asked if info had been gathered from waterboarding and he said "I don't know". Be real careful where you get your news from. There is a lot of lying and dodging and weaving going on from this administration.