Did Waterboarding lead to the death of Osama?

failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:46 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Here is what I think you really should do. When you see something you're not familiar with, do some research so you are more informed when you step into the ring.

This is excellent advice. I try diligently to research a topic before posting on it so that when I make a claim, I can provide some sort of support for it. You have made a claim in this thread, and I'm waiting for you to present your research.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Thanks.

You are welcome.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:56 pm
You forgot to reply to the one about the NY Times and the Washington Post.
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:58 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You have not responded to the point about the NY Times and the Washington Post stating the enhanced interrogation techniques of the Bush administration led to the killing of Osama.

You have yet to provide these articles so we can discuss them. I'm eagerly waiting, so we can discuss them.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Why do you disagree with the NY Times and the Washington Post?

I don't know if I agree or disagree yet. You've yet to present them. Perhaps I do disagree. Let's see what they say, so I can decide. Post them.

As of now, I'm going to base my opinion off of direct statements from government officials. Like this one:

TPM wrote:
Senate Intel Chair: Torture Did Not Lead To Bin Laden In Any Way
Brian Beutler | May 3, 2011, 12:59PM

More and more evidence suggests a key piece of intelligence -- the first link in the chain of information that led U.S. intelligence officials to Osama bin Laden -- wasn't tortured out of its source. And, indeed, that torture actually failed to produce it.

"To the best of our knowledge, based on a look, none of it came as a result of harsh interrogation practices," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee in a wide-ranging press conference.

Moreover, Feinstein added, nothing about the sequence of events that culminated in Sunday's raid vindicates the Bush-era techniques, nor their use of black sites -- secret prisons, operated by the CIA.

"Absolutely not, I do not," Feinstein said. "I happen to know a good deal about how those interrogations were conducted, and in my view nothing justifies the kind of procedures that were used."

This is a mix of fresh, on-the-record information and push back against Republicans -- many of them former Bush administration officials -- who are tying themselves in knots to claim that Bush's interrogation policies got the ball rolling on the bin Laden killing.

"I would assume that the enhanced interrogation program that we put in place produced some of the results that led to bin Laden's ultimate capture," said former Vice President Dick Cheney on Fox News.

Here's Rep. Peter King (R-NY), chair of the House Homeland Security Committee, also on Fox: "We obtained that information through waterboarding. So for those who say that waterboarding doesn't work, who say it should be stopped and never used again, we got vital information which directly led us to bin Laden."

However, multiple reports preceding Feinstein's remarks suggest that waterboarding failed to produce the key piece of information -- bin Laden's courier's nom de guerre.

Feinstein went even further, claiming that change to U.S. intelligence processes ushered in by the Obama administration were seminal in capturing bin Laden.

"I think the red-teaming of the intelligence was significant, and they red-teamed and red-teamed and red-teamed. And of course what that means is they looked for reasons why what they had as a piece of intelligence might not be accurate, or might indicate something else," Feinstein said. "And that's a very good process -- it's a solid process -- because it exposes weaknesses in the intelligence.... It didn't happen over the Iraq National Intelligence Estimate."

Feinstein further claimed that the Obama administration's decision to reconstitute the CIA's bin Laden unit -- which the Bush administration shuttered in 2005 -- was a key factor in the mission's ultimate success. "I think it was very crucial," she said. "I mean this has been there for a substantial period of time. People become experienced with the intelligence."

Not all Republicans are claiming that bin Laden's killing vindicates torture. At a Capitol press conference Tuesday afternoon, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) stood apart from his colleagues in the GOP. "This idea we caught bin Laden because of waterboarding I think is a misstatement," he said. "This whole concept of how we caught bin Laden is a lot of work over time by different people and putting the puzzle together. I do not believe this is a time to celebrate waterboarding, I believe this is a time to celebrate hard work."

source

It seems credit for locating Osama comes from the Obama administration's re-initiation of the team to find Osama and more conventional interrogation.

Also, as it's been pointed out to you, the math doesn't add up unless the Bush Admin lied under oath (Read: Perjury; a federal offense) about the extent of the use of waterboarding and other harsh techniques as defined.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:58 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You forgot to reply to the one about the NY Times and the Washington Post.

You haven't posted them yet so we can discuss them.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:01 pm
@failures art,
Now that's hilarious. Diane Feinstein. You totally blew that one, bub. Why don't you just quote Rachel Maddow and Clem O'Donnell and Ed Schultz. I'm not quoting politicians. I'm talking about the NY Times and the Washington Post. You've really stepped into it now. When you get over your infatuation of quoting liberal political hacks for your info you might get something to work on. This is pitiful and a sorry piece of work. Frankly, I'm embarrassed to even be associated with posting of nonsense like this tripe.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:11 pm
Here ya go FA. Click on the link and follow the links in the article. If you can't handle that then have Walter help you.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20110502/pl_dailycaller/didenhancedinterrogationleadustoosamabinladen
sozobe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:32 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You have not responded to the point about the NY Times and the Washington Post stating the enhanced interrogation techniques of the Bush administration led to the killing of Osama. Why do you disagree with the NY Times and the Washington Post?

No, they didn't.

"Enhanced" interrogation techniques led to lies. (KSM said he'd never heard of the courier's nickname -- that was suspicious, but it was a lie.)

Plain old regular interrogation down the line got the guy ID'ed (along with several others).

Both of those hints paled in comparison to the detective work that went into the whole thing. As Lindsay Graham said (not a sentence I write often):

Quote:
"This idea we caught bin Laden because of waterboarding I think is a misstatement. This whole concept of how we caught bin Laden is a lot of work over time by different people and putting the puzzle together. I do not believe this is a time to celebrate waterboarding, I believe this is a time to celebrate hard work,"

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/senate-intel-chair-torture-did-not-lead-to-bin-laden-in-any-way.php
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:36 pm

It will be sometime before we know whether or not enhanced interrogation methods provided the initial lead that eventually result in the death of Bin Laden.

There are far too many powerful people who refuse to ever acknowledge that Water-boarding is effective.

God forbid someone who sanctimoniously (and with pseudo-expertise) lectures us all on the immorality and ineffectiveness of torture admits that these tactics actually work.

Clearly they are not confident in their moral argument alone. If torture is absolutely wrong from a moral standpoint, who cares whether or not it is effective?

If my wife is driving me nuts, my murdering her will solve the problem quite nicely, but doing so is an act virtually everyone will agree is immoral.

No, this is about winning a political argument which is why, if at some point a Democrat president resorts to enhanced interrogation methods, we will hear a deafening chorus of Liberals singing his praise for doing so.
parados

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:37 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Quote:
Rumsfeld said new information that led to bin Laden’s killing, “very well could have been partly a result of the interviews that took place at Guantanamo.”

And, Rove said on Fox and Friends on Monday morning that Bush was the one who gave the CIA orders to get bin Laden, and Obama was using intelligence likely attained with enhanced, or harsh, interrogation techniques.

So.. something could have happened or was likely to have happened is your standard for evidence?

So.. it could be you were born without a brain.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:39 pm
@sozobe,
You better do better than Diane Feinstein. Who's next, Rachel Maddow?
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Everything is political with liberals. No matter what. "You didn't do it right". "You're not thinking correctly"

They're like a bunch of saggy old ladies, gripe and moan about everything when their lies have been revealed. Pitiful.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:44 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Ahem.

sozobe wrote:
As Lindsey Graham said

Lindsey Graham. Not Diane Feinstein. Lindsey Graham, R-SC.

A larger quote, if that helps you:

Quote:
Not all Republicans are claiming that bin Laden's killing vindicates torture. At a Capitol press conference Tuesday afternoon, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) stood apart from his colleagues in the GOP. "This idea we caught bin Laden because of waterboarding I think is a misstatement," he said. "This whole concept of how we caught bin Laden is a lot of work over time by different people and putting the puzzle together. I do not believe this is a time to celebrate waterboarding, I believe this is a time to celebrate hard work."
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:47 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Now that's hilarious. Diane Feinstein. You totally blew that one, bub.

What is your objection? She is the chair of the Senate Intel Committee. She is a publicly elected servant. She is briefed and privileged to this info. She is the perfect person to quote. I believe you reject her statement because they settle your question.

Did Waterboarding lead to the death of Osama? No, is the answer.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Why don't you just quote Rachel Maddow and Clem O'Donnell and Ed Schultz.

I could if I wish, and you could form your own opinion on what they say and the case they make. I have not quoted them, so what's the point in discussing the merits of what I have not done?

I'm not going to quote these people because they are not government officials. Besides, why even bother? You only like right-wing blogs. anyone outside of your echo chamber you reject without consideration.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

I'm not quoting politicians.

Well, you're not really quoting much of anybody.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

I'm talking about the NY Times and the Washington Post.

Which you've yet to post and support your claim about both.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You've really stepped into it now.

Stepped into what? It doesn't hurt me that you won't post things to support your claims. Meanwhile, I did present information from a government official with clearance and privilege to the info. You've yet to meet me on this level to support your claim.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

When you get over your infatuation of quoting liberal political hacks for your info you might get something to work on.

Do you believe you get to dictate who I may quote? Who am I allowed to quote that you'd approve of? You post all sorts of right-wing blogs that most would call conservative "political hacks." That is a double standard.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

This is pitiful and a sorry piece of work.

Talk details with me. What specific details do you object to?

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Frankly, I'm embarrassed to even be associated with posting of nonsense like this tripe.

I'm sorry for embarrassing you.

A
R
T
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:53 pm
@failures art,
She's a political hack and misleading the American people on enhanced interrogation, and that is her agenda. You believe her. I don't. I believe the NY Times and the Washington Post. I don't believe people like liberal democrats would tell me the truth. You all lack honesty, integrity, and courage. You and Feinstein have a couple things in commone. You're both pathetic and liars.

Do you really expect me to believe you haven't read the articles in the NY Times and the WsPo?
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:55 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Here ya go FA. Click on the link and follow the links in the article. If you can't handle that then have Walter help you.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20110502/pl_dailycaller/didenhancedinterrogationleadustoosamabinladen

The links led to no current administration officials confirming your claim. Rather contrary, the information here contradicts your claim. We continue to find that KSM's waterboarding info is not what provided the courier, but info from 2007 by conventional means.

Is this all you have? Also, this wasn't a link to the articles in the NYT or Washington Post.

Here is a question, do you agree with Lindsey Graham? He says these techniques weren't what led to locating Osama. He's not a liberal.

A
R
T
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:56 pm
@failures art,
Do you need a current administration official to approve everything you read?
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 06:11 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

She's a political hack and misleading the American people on enhanced interrogation, and that is her agenda.

Grammar: Run on sentence.

Now you've made another claim. Please support your claim that her agenda is as you have said or that she has mislead.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You believe her. I don't.

Why don't you believe her?

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

I believe the NY Times and the Washington Post.

Then post them, and lets see what convinced you. Why are you afraid of doing so? Perhaps you are misrepresenting what these articles actually report. You should just post them, and then we could see what has you convinced.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

I don't believe people like liberal democrats would tell me the truth.

This is a logical fallacy known as "poisoning the well." Making a statement like this makes you sound close minded and further supports that you prefer ideological insulation. Why stay in conservative echo chambers?

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You all lack honesty, integrity, and courage.

I don't know how you feel qualified to comment on either. You're not restricted from making unqualified opinions though, so be my guest.

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You and Feinstein have a couple things in commone.

Spelling correction: C-O-M-M-O-N. There is no 'e.'

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

You're both pathetic and liars.

To make an accusation that I or another person has lied is very serious. Be specific, what details do you think I have lied about? What has Feinstein lied about? Can you prove it?

Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Do you really expect me to believe you haven't read the articles in the NY Times and the WsPo?

I've read plenty of them. My roommate works for the Washington Post for that matter. Nothing I've read sounds anything like what you've claimed has been written. Post the links to the stories so I can see the details and form an opinion.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 06:15 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Do you need a current administration official to approve everything you read?

No, I do not. I will give more value to people who are currently involved in these operations, because they will know more than former administrative officials. That's pretty basic.

Don't you prefer the most up to date information from people who work directly on these projects?

A
R
T
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 06:31 pm
@failures art,
How about the Chairman of the Homeland Security Committee? Would you trust their words?
failures art

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:17 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

How about the Chairman of the Homeland Security Committee? Would you trust their words?

I posted them. We can discuss which chair is actually closer to the issue. Homeland security gets info on potential threats, but they rarely handle this kind of intelligence on global movements, missions, etc.

Take that for what you think it's worth. I suspect you think it means a lot.

A
R
T
0 Replies