Did Waterboarding lead to the death of Osama?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:04 pm
@Doubt doubt,
I think the main problem with all of this, is that such a plan would be a work of genius....And Bush was president.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:26 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt wrote:
Let me say first that anyone that knows anything about physics and chemistry knows bin laden and the plane crashes had nothing to do with the towers collapse. People can say what they want but its just physically impossible one many levels.

Are you wearing your AFDB right now?

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/afdbhead.jpg
raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:26 pm
@Doubt doubt,
No that is the adiabatic flame temperature of #2 Jet fuel. I think you are confusing flash point (kindling temperature) with flame temperature.

You are correct, #2 jet fuel is effectively fuel oil which is a combustible and not a flammable liquid (like gasoline with a flash point around 140 degrees F). Consequently it is combustible liquids are more difficult to ignite than a flammable liquid, but once ignited the flame physics is pretty well established and the adiabatic flame temperature is 1080 degrees Celsius.

That or else several engineering projects I've developed in the past are magically working.

Rap
raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
That would be completely different if Clinton was POTUS on 9/11, right?
Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:34 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
It is a joke because it is irrelevant. The jet fuel which burns around 500 degrees in open air would have been gone within 5 minutes. that leaves carpet drywall and furniture. Even in the best conditions this could not burn hot enough to weaken steel to any significant degree. In the videos you can clearly see the thick black smoke. this means that the fire was oxygen starved. Also steel is a great conductor of heat which would spread the heat out

1. No one has said the jet fuel caused the steel to weaken.
2. You forget paper and other office items.
3. Man has been melting and working iron for centuries with nothing but a wood fire so your argument that steel can not be weakened in the best of conditions is false.
4. Black smoke is NOT only indicative of an oxygen starved fire. A tire burned in an oxygen rich environment will give off black smoke. Many plastics burned in an oxygen rich environment will also give off black smoke.
5. Steel conducts heat, but not at the rate you think it does. A 6' steel rod put in a propane furnace will get red hot on one end but the other end does not.

Man so many people take about things without even a basic understanding of them. ok here goes.

@1 jet fuel is what the government said did the damage because other flammable material was at a minimum by safety code and law.

@2 Yes but the building was designed so that anything that could be flame retardant was. that said nothing that could have been there would burn over 1100 degrees F

response to number 3.
well you have no idea what you are talking about. iron melting is nothing yes but iron and steel are not similar at all in property's. Thats why it is used in the first place. ALso making steel is not hard, One the steel is finished and tempered the heat it took to make it will not hurt it at all. Steel is used in building because it does not bend, it breaks. it is either unaffected or it cracks like glass. THis is of course after it has been made into steel. I distinctly remember this being covered in 8th grade science.

@4 not too many tires up there. hmm plume of smoke visible miles away. thats a lot of plastic. i omit illogical explanations. sue me.

@5 Yea its something to take into account. note that you could blast that steel all day with a O2 or setaline torch forever and you could never get it hot enough to bend. ask a welder how hard it is to work with steel. get info from someone who knows something and not from propaganda/ out of your ass for a change.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:38 pm
@raprap,
If Clinton had been president, the secret services would not have taken their eye off the ball when it comes to Al Qaida. 9/11 would have been a lot less likely.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:49 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico sobbing: Don't tell me anything bad about my government. I don't want to hear any facts describing their terrorist actions. Boohoo, boohooooo.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:56 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Popular Mechanics wrote:
"Melted" Steel

Claim: "We have been lied to," announces the Web site AttackOnAmerica.net. "The first lie was that the load of fuel from the aircraft was the cause of structural failure. No kerosene fire can burn hot enough to melt steel." The posting is entitled "Proof Of Controlled Demolition At The WTC."

FACT: Jet fuel burns at 800° to 1500°F, not hot enough to melt steel (2750°F). However, experts agree that for the towers to collapse, their steel frames didn't need to melt, they just had to lose some of their structural strength—and that required exposure to much less heat. "I have never seen melted steel in a building fire," says retired New York deputy fire chief Vincent Dunn, author of The Collapse Of Burning Buildings: A Guide To Fireground Safety. "But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

"Steel loses about 50 percent of its strength at 1100°F," notes senior engineer Farid Alfawak-hiri of the American Institute of Steel Construction. "And at 1800° it is probably at less than 10 percent." NIST also believes that a great deal of the spray-on fireproofing insulation was likely knocked off the steel beams that were in the path of the crashing jets, leaving the metal more vulnerable to the heat.

But jet fuel wasn't the only thing burning, notes Forman Williams, a professor of engineering at the University of California, San Diego, and one of seven structural engineers and fire experts that PM consulted. He says that while the jet fuel was the catalyst for the WTC fires, the resulting inferno was intensified by the combustible material inside the buildings, including rugs, curtains, furniture and paper. NIST reports that pockets of fire hit 1832°F.

"The jet fuel was the ignition source," Williams tells PM. "It burned for maybe 10 minutes, and [the towers] were still standing in 10 minutes. It was the rest of the stuff burning afterward that was responsible for the heat transfer that eventually brought them down."

Read more: 9/11 Conspiracy Theories - Debunking the Myths - World Trade Center - Popular Mechanics
raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 12:57 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Man! I don't know where to start---

Quote:
response to number 3.
well you have no idea what you are talking about. iron melting is nothing yes but iron and steel are not similar at all in property's. Thats why it is used in the first place. ALso making steel is not hard, One the steel is finished and tempered the heat it took to make it will not hurt it at all. Steel is used in building because it does not bend, it breaks. it is either unaffected (or it cracks like glass. THis is of course after it has been made into steel. I distinctly remember this being covered in 8th grade science.

There are lot of different types of carbon steel and their physical properties (ductility, brittleness, yield strength, modulus of elasticity, tensile strength, etal) vary all over the place. But structural steel alloys all have one property that they aren't. They aren't brittle. As a matter of condition, brittleness is the one property you don't want in a structural application. Why? Structures move and if the structure to remain upright (standing) the structural steel has to be elastic.

If you want an example of the elasticity of structural steel just go to the penthouse observation deck of a tall building on a windy day. The building will sway. If it doesn't it probably is lying on the ground.

Rap
Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:06 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

No that is the adiabatic flame temperature of #2 Jet fuel. I think you are confusing flash point (kindling temperature) with flame temperature.

You are correct, #2 jet fuel is effectively fuel oil which is a combustible and not a flammable liquid (like gasoline with a flash point around 140 degrees F). Consequently it is combustible liquids are more difficult to ignite than a flammable liquid, but once ignited the flame physics is pretty well established and the adiabatic flame temperature is 1080 degrees Celsius.

That or else several engineering projects I've developed in the past are magically working.

Rap

No sir. jet fuel A-1 has a flash point of 100F and a open air burn temp of 550F. the 1000F you keep referring too must be the temp it burns at under pressure, inside a piston perhaps. but open air it is 550F
Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Doubt doubt wrote:
Let me say first that anyone that knows anything about physics and chemistry knows bin laden and the plane crashes had nothing to do with the towers collapse. People can say what they want but its just physically impossible one many levels.

no clue what that is but i assume its slander on your part to avoid learning a thing or two. seems like this is the wrong place for that.
Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:23 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think the main problem with all of this, is that such a plan would be a work of genius....And Bush was president.

I doubt bush had anything to do with it. Like they say follow the money. they guy who invested something like 10-100 million and got 10 billion from the insurance would be a good start. Also Consider that building 7 may have been the target all along. Trillions of bucks worth of information was held there. Remember the ENRON thing? well all the evidence disappeared that day with the collapse of building 7. along with the seized back account records and much more priceless stuff. you guys do realize that the government is probably the one making some of the outlandish conspiracys so that people disregard the most factual arguments or anything that goes against the party line as rubbish. like the stuff about the planes having missileS on them and such. thats ridicules but a great play for the gov to make. But seriously you have to be literally retarded to watch building 7 fall and believe it happened naturally. YOU CAN SEE PLANE AS DAY THE v CRIMP IN THE ROOF AS THE BUILDINGS FOUNDATION WAS DEMOLISHED. IT IT LITERALLY THE ONLY PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION FOR A BUILDING THAT SIZE FALLING AT FREE FALL SPEEDS INTO ITS OWN FOUNDATION.

sorry for caps. i type to slowly to change it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

i think most folks believe that cheney was president
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:33 pm
@Doubt doubt,
If the flash point is below 140 degF it is a flammable and not a combustible liquid--jet fuel is by this definition a combustible liquid--if you don't believe me look for DOT placarding on any tanker of kerosene, fuel oil, or #2 jet fuel and compare it with gasoline, naphtha, or alcohol. The former will say combustible liquid and the latter flammable.

The adiabatic flame temperature of fuel oil is near 3000 degF--open air flame temperature is lower because it is not adiabatic but it is nowhere near 500 degF. If it were that low then the laws of combustion physics are completely wrong and most household furnaces operate by magic.

Don't believe me?--then how about the DOE.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askasci/1995/eng/ENG49.HTM

Quote:
Fuel Oil/Fuel Gas Burn Temperatures
Index Key: ENG049
Author: jeff d gilbertson
Subject: Fuel oil/Fuel gas burn temperatures.
We have two different types of burners on our boilers. Natural gas and fuel
oil. Our information indicates that the natural gas flame burns at about
3000 degrees. We have no information about the fuel oil temperature. The
natural gas has a btu content of 1027 btu/cf. The fuel oil has a btu
content of 18,100 btu/lb. Could you tell me at what temperature the oil
fire would burn? In case it is necessary, we use Babcock & Wilcox return
flow oil burner and ring type gas burners. Their capacities are 5,660
lbs/hr oil and 1,600 cfm gas.

Response #: 1 of 1
Author: david r munoz
This is a complicated question and can probably best be answered by measure-
ment. You can calculate the adiabatic flame temperature for any fuel air
oxidation reaction (fancy terminology for combustion). Adiabatic means
without heat transfer (losses). Therefore, if you had a perfectly insulated
chamber and you had a combustion process occurring and you measured the
flame temperature, you would be measuring the adiabatic flame temperature.
However, in real burner applications, there is always heat transfer and this
is the complicating factor. Either you estimate the heat transfer loss and
include it on the balance of energy equation that is used to find the flame
temperature or you measure the flame temperature. Looking in one of my
references, I see that I cannot readily find a value for the adiabatic flame
temperature of fuel oil. However, I would say that your
3000 degrees F is probably a good estimate (+ or - 100 F).

Rap
Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:37 pm
@DrewDad,
you are quoting gov issued propaganda. those are not facts and they are not true.

First bold parts a lie. if the steel expanded on both ends it would have plenty of room to expand in the expansion areas. you know the places made to accommodate the expanse from summer heat to winter cold and to allow the building a bit of sway.

second bold part is a flat out lie. and drastic exaggeration at least.

3rd bold part is a lie as well. a fires temp does not stack. its not like jet fuel burning at 550F and drywall at 300f and carpet at 550f adds up to a 1400F fire. The building was designed not to burn Like i said a few posts back, you can watch footage of other building burn through 20-30 floors over 20-30 hours time and not one ever collapsed.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:48 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

no clue what that is ...

You might catch a clue if you would click on the handy link I provided.

Quote:
... but i assume its slander on your part to avoid learning a thing or two. seems like this is the wrong place for that.

Not slander ... slander is spoken communication. The word you are looking for is "libel." Glad I could teach you something.

And one other thing about defamation: truth is an absolute defense.

So, to be clear: I think you're a wackaloon. Prove me wrong.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:52 pm
@Doubt doubt,
I suspect that the data I provided is more accurate than yours.

This 9/11 conspiracy stuff is old hat; I doubt you'll find any converts here. We've discussed it on this board a dozen times.

The steel is under load; heat weakens the steel, steel buckles, each failed support increases stress on remaining supports until there is a catastrophic failure.
raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:53 pm
@raprap,
I know boobie doesn't consider wikipedia a viable source, but here a pretty good lay source on adiabatic flame temperatures that includes a chart of common combustible and flammable materials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_flame_temperature.

Another misconception you've stated--that steel is difficult to weld. If steel all that resistant to welding then the body of cars would have to be riveted together. Steel can be welded easily by forge, gas, and arc among others.

Rap
Doubt doubt

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 01:59 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Man! I don't know where to start---

Quote:
response to number 3.
well you have no idea what you are talking about. iron melting is nothing yes but iron and steel are not similar at all in property's. Thats why it is used in the first place. ALso making steel is not hard, One the steel is finished and tempered the heat it took to make it will not hurt it at all. Steel is used in building because it does not bend, it breaks. it is either unaffected (or it cracks like glass. THis is of course after it has been made into steel. I distinctly remember this being covered in 8th grade science.

There are lot of different types of carbon steel and their physical properties (ductility, brittleness, yield strength, modulus of elasticity, tensile strength, etal) vary all over the place. But structural steel alloys all have one property that they aren't. They aren't brittle. As a matter of condition, brittleness is the one property you don't want in a structural application. Why? Structures move and if the structure to remain upright (standing) the structural steel has to be elastic.

If you want an example of the elasticity of structural steel just go to the penthouse observation deck of a tall building on a windy day. The building will sway. If it doesn't it probably is lying on the ground.

Rap

Dude your an even worse structural engineer than you are a chemical engineer. The buildings sway because their are joints to allow for sway and the expansions of materials. You just cant be an engineer and not know the definition of brittle or how the positions of electrons determine the property's of a compound. Steel has a extremely high tensile strength. this makes it anything but brittle. Most metals are malleable. making them awful for building with. This property is very different from steels rigid nature. with malleable metals you can hit them softly over and over and eventually you will bend/ shape it with very little effort per hit. This does not happen to steel. when you hit it it either does nothing or it breaks. No amount of hits of a force to weak to break it will ever do anything. it is either enough force to break it or it does nothing. The alignment or the electrons are what gives steel its strength and characteristics.
raprap

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:05 pm
@Doubt doubt,
First steel is brittle and then it isn't---whatever. Believe whatever you want to believe I don't care. Believe that kerosene burns at 500 degF and that it is flammable, steel isn't ductile and is hard to weld, building sway only at the joints, that what you think you knew in the eighth grade is fact-just do us all a favor don't drive--I don't think you can comprehend that a steering wheel is round.

BTW springs are steel--if springs are brittle how can they be springs---now I know the springiness is because of the mounts--idiot.

Rap