Hotel etiquette: What do you do when hotel neighbors act up?

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 10:53 am
tsarstepan had movie issues with bad behavior; I had hotel issues. While on vacation, at a popular beautiful sold out resort/time share, we had "neighbor" issues. The monsters above us would get up at 6:00am and run around and jump off furniture (or so it sounded like). It woke everyone (except one that took out his hearing aides) - even those sleeping in a different bedroom not directly below the ruckus.

But either nothing was done or the people above could care less. The next morning the same thing - but fortunately at 6:30 instead of 6:00. I went outside and upstairs in my pajamas, knocked on their door and told them could they please keep it down. They looked at me as if I had two heads - now granted I wasn't looking my best, but I am not that ugly first thing in the morning. They said they would bring the kids outside.

Next morning the same thing. We called the front desk again - but again that day they couldn't do anything for us - finally on the last night they said they could move us - but we would be on the same floor so no guarantee there.

So what would you do, if you ventured to a resort expecting a relaxing vacation and your dastardly neighbor is either oblivious or deliberately breaking proper hotel etiquette? Is there any actual effective way to handle this situation if the offender(s) refuse to cooperate?

<hope tsarstepan doesn't mind me plagiarizing>

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:05 am
There is always the time honored tradition of pounding on the ceiling.

I would most definitely send a letter to the hotel registering my complaint -- including the complaint that you complained and nothing improved.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:16 am
@boomerang,
Well they did give the couple we were staying with (they own the timeshare) 10,000 points - which is not even enough for a one night stay at one of their lower priced hotels.

I do plan to write a note to them. Even though in reality we didn't pay as we were guests of the timeshare owners. We are "members" of their hotel chain.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:47 am
@Linkat,
Put in earplugs the night before and keep sleeping.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:56 am
@chai2,
Funny I did go out and buy earplugs after this. They were these pretty pink ones. I couldn't use them - they bothered my ears. My daughter wanted to use them too and they didn't stay in her ears. My husband did though - and they looked really cute in his ears.

He slept nicely.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
I'd ask for a refund and tell them you will be telling all your friends on the internet about the horrible experience at that hotel so they won't ever waste their money going there.
JTT

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:26 pm
@Linkat,
You just have the shittiest luck with neighbors, don't you, Linkat?
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
We paid zippo - it was our family's timeshare and we were staying with them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:35 pm
@JTT,
Yeah - what the h*ll did I do - that I always end up with crappy neighbors?

I didn't even realize it until you pointed it out.

We did have a great vacation other than the lack of sleep.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:51 pm
@Linkat,
We complained at the place we go to on the Cape (this was last Sept.). Got a certificate for a free night's stay from the management, and will cash it in next month. They don't want to piss off paying/repeat customers.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:38 pm
Quote:
Next morning the same thing. We called the front desk again - but again that day they couldn't do anything for us - finally on the last night they said they could move us - but we would be on the same floor so no guarantee there.

Completely unacceptable.
Couldn't or wouldn't do anything?
Wouldn't go to the door of the offenders?
Wouldn't call the room to report the complaint?
pppphhhfffftt.
==
Link: you've got to learn to be firmer on the phone.

Ask if the person you are talking to understands the nature of your complaint. (Noise which is disturbing your peace and enjoyment)
Ask them to repeat to you that they are unable to help you.
(Make them wait while you write it down exactly)
Ask for the manager on duty, if you are talking with the manager on duty, ask for the name of the General Manager and inquire as to what time that person reports to work.
Tell them that, at a minimum, you expect a full refund for you or your family.
And that you intend to post on every vacation blog in the universe reporting their inability to service their clientèle.

Joe(Move you? What's the problem with moving the furniture jumpers?)Nation
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
It was hubby on the phone and he is about as firm as you can get.

It was Easter vacation week and I do know that this property regularly gets sold out. My friend who lives in the area, tried to use her mom's time share to get a room for any week in the coming year - nothing was available.

According to the front desk, they did send some one up to talk to them. And like what they said to me - oh, we'll have the kids go outside. But the parents don't do anything about it.

They also said they have been getting frequent complaints from guests about the noise levels - apparently the hotel skimped on the soundproofing. The resort and rooms themselves are beautiful and it overlooks a beautiful area with great grounds and lots to do - but they skimped on the soundproofing.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:46 pm
@Joe Nation,
I will though follow up with some of your suggestions.

My guess with the sounds of it - and the amount of complaints - they aren't being very generous on the refunds. Also where it is a time share, I don't know how they go about refunding money - they could though "refund your week" so you get another week.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:08 pm
@Linkat,
Yes. Absolutely press for another week.
When you get it, send a nice, handwritten, thank you note to the person who helped the most and a letter regarding their actions to their boss.
Talk to him/her when you reschedule.

Joe(have a nice time)Nation
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:09 pm
@Linkat,
You could always fight fire with fire. Since they get up so early in the mornings, I'll bet they will very much appreciate everyone around them blasting the volumes on TVs and radios at around 2am every night.

Continue doing so until they complain and work out a compromise that results in mutual consideration of neighbors and the acknowledgement of the poor construction quality of the building that necessitates extraordinary efforts at muffling noises.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Funny I did go out and buy earplugs after this. They were these pretty pink ones. I couldn't use them - they bothered my ears. My daughter wanted to use them too and they didn't stay in her ears. My husband did though - and they looked really cute in his ears.

He slept nicely.

Did you roll them between your fingers until they got compact before you put them in your ears?
Also, it helps when putting them in to....let's see, let's say your putting one in your left ear....roll the pink plug between your fingers until it gets compact and skinny, doing it in your Left hand. Then, reach your Right arm around the back of your head, and grasp the top of your Left ear. Pull the ear, like your trying to make elf ears. Then you quickly insert the compress plug, and hold it in place inside your ear for a few moments, as it expands back into shape.
Pulling on your ear opens your ear hold up, and keeping it in place for a few moments lets it mold to the inside of your ear.

Takes a little practice, but worth it.

Yeah, I use those pink ones too. They're the best ones IMO.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:01 pm
@Linkat,
The management should have refunded a couple of days if they couldn't do anything to help rectify the complaints. Especially if the noise problem exists throughout the hotel. Then they should close the hotel off season and add soundproofing measures before opening up again.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:08 pm
I know nothing of the time share deals, but used to be familiar with franchised hotels. Document the events and document the time of your complaints to front desk and who you talked to. Almost none of the chains are owned by corporate. Corporate's interest lies in renting rooms because that's where their percentage comes from. Trust me, corporate will be asking questions of the franchisee, and that franchisee will not enjoy answering.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
You could always fight fire with fire. Since they get up so early in the mornings, I'll bet they will very much appreciate everyone around them blasting the volumes on TVs and radios at around 2am every night.

Continue doing so until they complain and work out a compromise that results in mutual consideration of neighbors and the acknowledgement of the poor construction quality of the building that necessitates extraordinary efforts at muffling noises.
NO: COLLATERAL DAMAGE
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:22 pm
@Linkat,
I had noise problems 1ce in the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.
I surmised that hubby next door was dissatisfied
with wifey 's financial misadventures downstairs.

I called the front desk and reported violence.
Thay sent security. The problem ended.

If that were to fail,
CALL THE POLICE qua violent disturbances.
0 Replies