Hotel etiquette: What do you do when hotel neighbors act up?

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 05:34 am
@chai2,
Excellent advice on the use of earplugs. They have to squished in order for them to stay in your ears. Hubby must have used them before or read the directions. Heh.

I've often advised people who were considering using them(going to travel on a cross-Atlantic flight, vacation in some place where it might be noisy -Spring Break in Texas/Florida/Anywhere) to try them for at least a week before going on a trip.

Very bad advice from Butterflynet on raising the ante/noise level.
1) You're likely to piss off not only the offenders but the rest of your neighbors, 2) it's highly unlikely that you are going to be able to reach a compromise with pissed off people. 3) The hotel then has reason to find you partially at fault. Don't do that.
David's advice on calling the police has merit but only if you think a crime (more than disturbing the peace) is being committed.

Of course, you could practice saying "She was screaming 'I think you broke my jaw.' and "Please, stop!! Please!!" We thought there was going to be a murder!"
Joe(do not smile)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:32 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
David's advice on calling the police has merit but only if you think a crime (more than disturbing the peace)
is being committed.

Of course, you could practice saying "She was screaming 'I think you broke my jaw.' and "Please, stop!! Please!!"
We thought there was going to be a murder!"
Joe(do not smile)Nation
Remember: u don 't know FOR SURE about the murder,
until the victim is dead.

Is it wise to wait?

Many jurisdictions have legal prohibitions against excessive noise.
The police are accustomed to ENFORCING those.
Thay know, from common experience, that many of such instances have resulted in bloodshed.

In my adventure in the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas,
I complained to the front desk (truthfully) that it appeared
that someone was being hurled against the walls, amid yelling.

Hotel Security successfully attended to it.

David
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah, David, that's why I would hesitate to make a disturbance of my own and not make any call to the Police until after Hotel Security had become involved and failed to do anything.

We are talking about kids jumping around at 6AM. I'm suggesting telling the hotel authorities that it sounded MUCH more serious.
Joe(heh)Nation

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 03:15 pm
@Joe Nation,
I can't get past the fact those kids were up at 6am

You never would have seen me up at that hour as a child, if I could help it. That's one of the great things about being a kid, you don't have to be up at 6am.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Yeah, David, that's why I would hesitate to make a disturbance of my own and not make any call to the Police until after Hotel Security had become involved and failed to do anything.

We are talking about kids jumping around at 6AM. I'm suggesting telling the hotel authorities that it sounded MUCH more serious.
Joe(heh)Nation

A good hotel will throw out troublemakers,
if the other guests r complaining.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
They have to squished in order for them to stay in your ears.

Or glued in with copious applications of ear wax. Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 04:45 am
@JTT,

Quote:
They have to squished in order for them to stay in your ears.
JTT wrote:
Or glued in with copious applications of ear wax. Smile
Over the ear protection is available.
I 've gotten mine in gun stores.

I keep them handy when I fly or take long train rides
(e.g., from NYC to Albany) to suppress the sounds of loud babies.

David
0 Replies