Spoiler = ? ppl =?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:14 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Cyclo wrote:
Quote:
You're obviously intelligent, but somehow that doesn't translate into understanding the fact that if you can't make personal connections with people, they don't give a **** how right you are on a point or an issue.

Huh? I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm reading something someone has written for informational purposes - I'm much more interested in if they are right on a point or issue than if I have a personal connection with them.

So, you only listen to people with whom you have a personal connection?

I only care about criticisms from people who I have a personal connection, or who I find interesting. Which is 99% of what JTT engages in here: knocking other people's posts, or trying to turn the conversation to her own topic of how tewwible America is. But, I don't find her posts interesting or even relevant in most cases. So why would I listen? I've been given no reason to do so.

Quote:
And I don't want to get into any name-calling or personal insult throwing contests. I'm just intrigued by this statement and want to address it.

We're essentially strangers here on A2K; we don't know each other in real life, any of us. When you are walking down the street, having a conversation with someone or whatever, and someone you don't know - or worse, that you know acts like an ass towards others all the time - butts in to criticize what you do or say, do you care? Would you change your mind or behavior based on that? I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:15 am
@MontereyJack,
Go get your brother and your wife, Jack, and maybe a few of your friends. They can all dittohead your response.

What is it with you chickenshits? If you have something that you disagree with someone on, why don't you address it honestly and directly instead of sniping from a distance.
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:19 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Cy, this is amusing... he's flailing around like a cornered rat...

How does one make determinations like this hiding in the closet? This is all too typical in your approach to language issues too, C.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:20 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Go get your brother and your wife, Jack, and maybe a few of your friends. They can all dittohead your response.

What is it with you chickenshits? If you have something that you disagree with someone on, why don't you address it honestly and directly instead of sniping from a distance.

I'm sure you'll agree that I have no such reluctance. And I still have yet to see you address your own behavior, instead of blaming everyone else for the fact that you're a jerk.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:26 am
@aidan,
That idea of Cy's was floated because he couldn't work in a 'troll' jibe.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I only care about criticisms from people who I have a personal connection, or who I find interesting. Which is 99% of what JTT engages in here: knocking other people's posts, or trying to turn the conversation to her own topic of how tewwible America is. But, I don't find her posts interesting or even relevant in most cases. So why would I listen? I've been given no reason to do so.

Okay, so let me get this straight- if you don't find a person interesting or have a personal connection with that person, their information- be it criticism or whatever- is something you will disregard out of hand?

Quote:
We're essentially strangers here on A2K; we don't know each other in real life, any of us. When you are walking down the street, having a conversation with someone or whatever, and someone you don't know - or worse, that you know acts like an ass towards others all the time - butts in to criticize what you do or say, do you care? Would you change your mind or behavior based on that? I doubt it.

If I'm trying to learn how to knit and someone I know is an expert knitter , though I don't like their personality or anything else about them particularly and they see me about to do something wrong and they correct me before I do, yes, I'll listen- whether I like their personality or not.

JTT doesn't act like an ass all the time.

And yeah, we're essentially strangers on a2k - so what if someone were to have Aspberger's and they did interact differently?

I'm not saying JTT does, but what if he did?

Is the reaction on this thread to someone who might have those issues by people who apparently don't, appropriate at all?

People excuse behavior in people they like and with whom they have personal connections that they would never excuse in others they don't like and with whom they don't have a personal connection.

I find that immature and unfair.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/171278-4
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
knocking other people's posts,

That's certainly not you, is it, Cy? But you know the difference between you and me. I address those instances of yours where I think that you are being an ass, or unfair, or hypocritical, or whatever. You do this sneak attack. Try being honest and address those instances you disagree with at the source.

Quote:
or trying to turn the conversation to her own topic of how tewwible America is. But, I don't find her posts interesting or even relevant in most cases. So why would I listen? I've been given no reason to do so.

Slow down, lad. The 'r' key is two to the right of the 'w' key.

The truth starts to leak out, eh, Cy? You've seized on an idea that gives the false appearance you suggest here, the one you want. The simple fact of the matter is, you can't address many of my posts, by your own admission, because you have stated that you don't want to discuss the fact that the US is a terrorist nation despite all the massive amount of information showing that they are.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:43 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Slow down, lad. The 'r' key is two to the right of the 'w' key.

Do you honestly not realize that I did that on purpose, to make fun of your constant indignation on the matter? Laughing

Alright, now I'm getting bored, feel free to go back to your original super-friendly conversation.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:48 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

Okay, so let me get this straight- if you don't find a person interesting or have a personal connection with that person, their information- be it criticism or whatever- is something you will disregard out of hand?

Do you honestly take the criticisms of strangers to heart? I doubt it.

Quote:
Quote:

If I'm trying to learn how to knit and someone I know is an expert knitter , though I don't like their personality or anything else about them particularly and they see me about to do something wrong and they correct me before I do, yes, I'll listen- whether I like their personality or not.

Well, this assumes the other person is in fact an expert. I haven't seen any evidence of that in this or many other cases here on A2K.

Quote:
JTT doesn't act like an ass all the time.

That hasn't been my experience, but you're welcome to your own opinion.

Quote:
And yeah, we're essentially strangers on a2k - so what if someone were to have Aspberger's and they did interact differently?

I'm not saying JTT does, but what if he did?

It's simply not pleasant to interact with. Why would I continually inflict unpleasant interactions upon myself?

Quote:
Is the reaction on this thread to someone who might have those issues by people who apparently don't, appropriate at all?

Yes.

Quote:
People excuse behavior in people they like and with whom they have personal connections that they would never excuse in others whom they don't like and don't have a personal connection.

I find that immature and unfair.

I don't find it either immature or unfair. In fact, I believe that it's an exact description of the way life actually works. We're ALL willing to cut people more slack when we know that they have redeeming features. When someone doesn't display those features, they get less slack cut.

Take a second and think about your own personal relationships, your friends and family. Do they do and say things that you wouldn't put up with, from others? Of course they do. Half of what friendship is about is the ability to say things that arguably would be quite rude coming from a stranger.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Do you honestly not realize that I did that on purpose,

Do you honestly not realize that I honestly realized that you did that on purpose?

Why would you make fun because someone is indignant about relentless terror, destruction and death heaped upon millions of innocents? Kind of odd behavior to my mind but hey, whatever turns your crank.

To my mind, making fun would be more appropriately directed towards those who ignore it, or make jokes about it, or attempt to minimize it, or dismiss it out of hand.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:03 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Do you honestly not realize that I did that on purpose,

Do you honestly not realize that I honestly realized that you did that on purpose?

No, I don't think you did know.

Quote:
Why would you make fun because someone is indignant about relentless terror, destruction and death heaped upon millions of innocents? Kind of odd behavior to my mind but hey, whatever turns your crank.

I do it, because you are a crank on that topic. You're not interested in anything but justifying your own sense of moral indignation, and that is frankly boring and not worth my time.

Quote:
To my mind, making fun would be more appropriately directed towards those who ignore it, or make jokes about it, or attempt to minimize it, or dismiss it out of hand.

Give it a go, then - if you think you have what it takes Laughing

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Okay, I'm going to answer this post point by point, because I think it's interesting in how differently we apparently view things. It doesn't mean I think I'm right and you're wrong - it just means we apparently view these things differently.
Quote:
Do you honestly take the criticisms of strangers to heart? I doubt it.

Actually, sometimes I take constructive criticisms of me made by strangers MORE seriously and to heart because I think to myself that they're more objective and based on simple observation than might be the comments of someone who knows me and loves me and doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

Quote:
Well, this assumes the other person is in fact an expert. I haven't seen any evidence of that in this or many other cases here on A2K.

I think JTT is arguably an 'expert' on language. He knows more than I do about parts of speech - I'll tell you that.
He also seems to know a lot about woodworking and construction.

Quote:
It's simply not pleasant to interact with. Why would I continually inflict unpleasant interactions upon myself?

But that doesn't address my question about the appropriateness of essentially baiting and making fun of someone who may or may not have a problem interacting with people.
I don't think JTT does, but what if someone else on the forum did?
I don't think it's appropriate to ridicule people like that.

Quote:
I don't find it either immature or unfair. In fact, I believe that it's an exact description of the way life actually works. We're ALL willing to cut people more slack when we know that they have redeeming features. When someone doesn't display those features, they get less slack cut.

Well the point I'm trying to make is the one that you made first - that because we are on the internet, we have no way of knowing what anyone else's redeeming features may or may not be.
Me, I'm afraid to be mean to anyone on the internet because I can never know if they're sitting there desperate for interaction and my mean or cutting remark could affect them more devastatingly than I could ever know.
And that goes back to my point about the Aspberger's situation.
Quote:
Take a second and think about your own personal relationships, your friends and family. Do they do and say things that you wouldn't put up with, from others? Of course they do. Half of what friendship is about is the ability to say things that arguably would be quite rude coming from a stranger.

I have been called more names and have had more nastily rude comments made about me by people here (only a few, thank goodness) than I ever have by any of my family or friends, EVER, in my whole life.
I don't have people in my life who call me names and ridicule me.

Now - that doesn't bother me because they don't know me and they don't know what they're talking about. But if someone who is knowledgable in a field that I want to learn about calls me a liar in a post on another thread, for some reason, I'm able to put that aside and read what they write about something else I might be interested in and want to learn about.

Maybe it's because I know myself - I don't know - but I can separate the two - and I do.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-4590916
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:10 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Well the point I'm trying to make is the one that you made first - that because we are on the internet, we have no way of knowing what anyone else's redeeming features may or not be.

But of course we do! People reveal themselves through what they choose to say. Sure, you can't know if someone secretly is, like, really nice to small dogs and old ladies; but you can judge the quality of their conversation, their interactions with others, and the quality of the argumentation they put forward, in order to decide for yourself whether or not this person has redeeming features or is worth serious consideration.

Quote:
Me, I'm afraid to be mean to anyone on the internet because I can never know if they're sitting there desperate for interaction and my mean or cutting remark could affect them more devastatingly than I could ever know.
And that goes back to my point about the Aspberger's situation.

That's not a material consideration for me, as it's unknowable. My mission is, also, not to provide interaction for those who are desperate for it, but instead to procure entertainment for myself, hopefully with some educational value included as well. Personally, I don't find conversations with people who are desperate for interaction to be either entertaining or educational. As an example, I can't stand your apparent approval of JGoldman's constant and inane drivel. It just encourages the shithead. But, hey; it's a free board.

Side question, are you putting this in manually, or is it coming up automatically somehow?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
No, I don't think you did know.

Then you're an idiot, Cy for even you are not that clumsy.

Quote:
I do it, because you are a crank on that topic. You're not interested in anything but justifying your own sense of moral indignation, and that is frankly boring and not worth my time.

Pretty lame excuse. If I was the crank you say I am, it would be pretty easy to set the record straight. I do it all the time here on the language/grammar threads.

It's this simple. You don't want to have to face the facts. You deny that the US is a terrorist nation, and you provided some inane response to try to brush away all the facts that, again, you are scared silly to have to face.

That's what this little song and dance of yours is all about. You can see it in your little jibes, "I'm getting bored now", yet right after that a long response to Aidan and another to me.

It's also all about me, telling you, in the appropriate places just what a hypocrite/ass/idiot you were being. Again, the difference between us is one of honesty. Yours is sorely lacking.

aidan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:17 pm
Quote:
As an example, I can't stand your apparent approval of JGoldman's constant and inane drivel. It just encourages the shithead. But, hey; it's a free board.

My approval? Out of over 11,000 posts, I think I may have addressed five or six to him. And you 'can't stand' that?
What the hell?

Quote:
But of course we do! People reveal themselves through what they choose to say.

Yeah - as you just did. You 'can't stand' the fact that I do something you wouldn't do or talk to someone you wouldn't talk to.
Sorry to have disappointed you and not lived up to your standards of what is worthwhile and productive for me to do with my time.
You're awful judgmental.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:19 pm
@JTT,
The reason you get your panties in such a twist about the topic of America is because nobody agrees with you here on A2K.

But, you're right; I really should stop engaging in what amounts to essentially boring conversation with a boring poster. So I'm going to go back to ignoring you. Feel free to accuse me of whatever moral failings make you happy.

I continue to engage Aidan because, unlike you, I don't find her boring.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:24 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Yeah - as you just did. You 'can't stand' the fact that I do something you wouldn't do or talk to someone you wouldn't talk to.
Sorry to have disappointed you and not lived up to your standards of what is worthwhile and productive for me to do with my time.

I could care less what you do with your time, Aidan. It's another one of those things that's not material to me. But Goldman is one of the worst sorts of trolls and has a long history of annoying people at various message boards and eventually getting booted off of them.

I wasn't trying to tell you what you can or can't do with your time... just saying that I find it disappointing that his stink will continue to louse up the place I like to hang out, and that some here encourage him to continue.

Quote:
You're awful judgmental.

You were pretty judgmental yourself towards me and my reported actions in the thread on airport security the other day. But I didn't let it hurt my fee-fees, because this is the internet; a place for people to say what they think, not to dance around all the time, afraid of offending someone by telling the truth.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I could care less what you do with your time,

I've defended you more than once on this, and it didn't matter to me that it was someone that I had disagreed with. In fact, it never matters to me. What is is and that's what should concern you. But you're just not willing or capable of going to places that you find uncomfortable. In that, you're no different than H2oman, Okie or Ican.

Quote:
You were pretty judgmental yourself towards me and my reported actions in the thread on airport security the other day.

But your "fee-fees" have been hurt enough by me, pointing up, again, in the places where it was specific

Quote:
But I didn't let it hurt my fee-fees, because this is the internet; a place for people to say what they think, not to dance around all the time, afraid of offending someone by telling the truth.

Here again, you are being quite the hypocrite, Cy. You really should stop digging for you're already in need of a pretty tall ladder.

Have you really decided to stop this, your latest song and dance, or have you just chucked out this bit of hypocrisy as a part of your routine, a little smoke, just to throw some off?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 12:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The reason you get your panties in such a twist about the topic of America is because nobody agrees with you here on A2K.

Not at all, Cy. That's a ludicrous notion. If 20 or 30 or 100 people started agreeing with me today, that wouldn't change my position on the US and its terrorism/war crimes/mass murder/... . There are still millions upon millions who remain ignorant of these facts; facts, I must remind you that you engage in all manner of deception to avoid facing.

Quote:
But, you're right; I really should stop engaging in what amounts to essentially boring conversation with a boring poster. So I'm going to go back to ignoring you.

Another attempt at deception on your part. You admitted that you often read the English/grammar/language threads. Well, I'm almost always there, Cy. Do you, like Setanta, just read round my posts?

And tell me, what is boring about new information that describes the egregious criminal actions of the US government? The more one researches, [that's not you, of course], the more one reads, the worse the picture gets.

The US has a way way way better system of propaganda than the Nazis ever had. It works so well that thinking adults routinely refuse to think about it, as you have so brilliantly illustrated here, AGAIN.

You're getting to be as bad as Contrex with these 'ignore' threats.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 01:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Actually, I agree with him/her about that, or at least, I know where he's coming from - I don't think the sun shines out of Uncle Sam's arse.