Spoiler = ? ppl =?

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 12:41 am

Context:
Why did Severus Snape kill Dumbledore? In what way is that protecting Harry?
I just saw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and I have read the books. If Severus was just trying to protect Harry, as we all find out in the end, I still do not understand why he killed Dumbledore? Did Dumbledore know Snape was going to kill him all along? Thanks!
2 years ago Report Abuse by saradabe... Member since:
December 18, 2006
Total points:
2,918 (Level 4)
Add Contact

Block

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
To previous posters: if you had read the book then you should know what happens, therefore none of this is a spoiler. If you didn't read the book when it came out 4 years ago then chances are that you weren't planning on reading it and shouldn't care otherwise.

What happens:
Basically Snape was doing what he was told from Dumbledore and trying to make Voldemort believe that he was on his side. He was put under the unbreakable curse in order to prove his loyalty to Voldemort, but what Voldemort didnt know was that Dumbledore's killing was already planned. Dumbledore and Snape were protecting Harry, even though he didn't know it until the last book. He had Voldemort fooled, which ultimately allowed for him to be brought down altogether.
Source(s):
I went to the midnight party for the book and just saw the movie yesterday.
2 years ago Report Abuse 1 person rated this as good
Asker's Rating: Asker's Comment: thanks! Not the right answer? Try Yahoo! Search
Search Yahoo! for Search
Jose welll there were several reasons
1. dumbledore was already dieing
2. he didnt want draco to do it
3. he asked snape to do it
4. he posssed the eldar wand which is the most powerful wand and in order to weild it the person has to kill the owner
5.dumbledore want him to prove he was a deatheater
Report Abuse

* You must be logged into Answers to add comments. Sign in or Register.

Other Answers (11)
by kel Member since:
February 12, 2008
Total points:
3,375 (Level 4)
Add Contact

Block

Snape and Dumbledore planned out Dumbledore's death. That's revealed in the Deathly Hallows. Dumbledore was weakened immensely by the horcrux ring he put on which nearly killed him, and by the fight with Voldemort in the Order of the Pheonix. Dumbledore was going to die soon, so by protecting his status with Voldemort by killing Dumbledore, Snape could secretly still throw Voldemort off in every little place he could. Smile
Source(s):
I LOVE HARRY POTTER
2 years ago Report Abuse 6 people rated this as good by Taz Member since:
September 12, 2008
Total points:
120 (Level 1)
Add Contact

Block

to the OP: Sorry, I read the books and just saw the movie, but I forgot what happened in book 7, so I don't remember why snape killed albus... but I wanted to say the following...

to the ppl complaining about spoilers: it doesn't matter whether you've seen the movie or read to books or are planning to do either... if you don't wanna see/read any spoilers... why the hell are you even reading this question? it's your own fault that you are reading the spoiler...

More:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090714233204AAAK6gS

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:28 am
Ppl is one of those "text-speak" abbrieviated words, and it stands for people. A spoiler is an account of a book, or a motion picture or a television program which tells the reader what will happen, what the denouement will be.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ppl is one of those "text-speak" abbrieviated words, and it stands for people. A spoiler is an account of a book, or a motion picture or a television program which tells the reader what will happen, what the denouement will be.

Thank you.

denouement pronounces as [dei'nju:mɑ:ŋ] ?
Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:58 am
@oristarA,
I don't read (or care to learn to read) the pronunciation symbols you've used. Denouement, according to Dictionary-dot-com, is pronounced ˌdeɪnuˈmɑ̃ in the international phonetic alphabet. French is pronounced so little like English, that i mistrust the attempt to use any English equivalent to show the pronunciation. For example, in languages such as English and German, "hard" consonants such as "d" are explosive. No consonant in French is explosive. So it is unlikely that you'll get the "d" right from a transcription of a phonetic alphabet.

Noeud is the French word for "knot." The word means the "un-tying" or the unravelling, and refers to the part of a literary work where all is revealed, where the truth comes out.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 05:05 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't read (or care to learn to read) the pronunciation symbols you've used. Denouement, according to Dictionary-dot-com, is pronounced ˌdeɪnuˈmɑ̃ in the international phonetic alphabet. French is pronounced so little like English, that i mistrust the attempt to use any English equivalent to show the pronunciation. For example, in languages such as English and German, "hard" consonants such as "d" are explosive. No consonant in French is explosive. So it is unlikely that you'll get the "d" right from a transcription of a phonetic alphabet.

Noeud is the French word for "knot." The word means the "un-tying" or the unravelling, and refers to the part of a literary work where all is revealed, where the truth comes out.

1) [dei'nu:mɑ:ŋ] ?

2) Knot means "un-tying"? I didn't get it (it seems the opposite is true).
Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 06:32 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Obviously you didn't get it. The word under discussion is denouement. It derives from the French word for knot. As it appears necessary . . .

noeud = knot
nouer = to tie
dénouer = to untie
dénouement = the untying, the unravelling

Technically, i suppose that in English, the word should be written dénouement, with the acute accent over the first "e."
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 07:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Obviously you didn't get it. The word under discussion is denouement. It derives from the French word for knot. As it appears necessary . . .

noeud = knot
nouer = to tie
dénouer = to untie
dénouement = the untying, the unravelling

Technically, i suppose that in English, the word should be written dénouement, with the acute accent over the first "e."

A closing is untying or unravelling ALL secrets in the play. That is why it deserves the name of denouement.

It's very clear now.

Thanks.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 11:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
French is pronounced so little like English, that i mistrust the attempt to use any English equivalent to show the pronunciation.

Ori didn't ask about the French pronunciation. He asked about the English pronunciation. They likely are different in some respect but that should come as any surprise because French has a different sound system than English.

Had he required the French pronunciation, looking to you would be a waste of his time.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
French is pronounced so little like English, that i mistrust the attempt to use any English equivalent to show the pronunciation.

Ori didn't ask about the French pronunciation. He asked about the English pronunciation. They likely are different in some respect but that should come as any surprise because French has a different sound system than English.

Had he required the French pronunciation, looking to you would be a waste of his time.

And now we've wasted more time? Very Happy

Reading is far more easier than writing. Nothing is wrong with Setanta.

JTT

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:36 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Nothing is wrong with Setanta.

Many beg to differ.

But that's not as important as, Setanta often wrongly describes how English works. He's got some pretty nutty ideas about language.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:53 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with Setanta.

Many beg to differ.

But that's not as important as, Setanta often wrongly describes how English works. He's got some pretty nutty ideas about language.

Neither you nor Set is a Harvard English professor. Very Happy

But both of you are more useful than Harvard superstars in here.

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:35 am
@oristarA,
Set could be because there are a lot of university and college professors of English that make numerous errors in describing the workings of the English language. Set used to be much worse but he took such a shellacking in the Pet Peeves of English thread that he saw the light, though he is loathe to admit it.

There are many professors of English who believe and teach the same nonsense that OmSig has been chiding Set about in your thread,

The most common pronunciation of "would" in "I would like to".

Here's a link to a discussion on what Descriptivism is

http://able2know.org/topic/133633-1

In it there is a link to,

Quote:
There Are No Postmodernists In a Foxhole

Geoff Nunberg
Commentary broadcast on "Fresh Air," August 20, 2002

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~nunberg/fish.html

In that commentary, Mr Nunberg takes an English professor to task for spouting similar nonsense about grammar, exactly the same kind of nonsense that OmSig has been trying to pass off.

Here's the pertinent portion, but do read the whole article.

Quote:
Like a lot of my favorite stories, this one begins with a pronoun, this from an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education that quoted Harvard President Lawrence Summers in an interview saying, "I regret any faculty member leaving a conversation feeling they are not respected"

The sentence was tailor-made to bundle puristic panties, particularly given the context and speaker -- and in fact a few weeks later, the Chronicle ran an extensive diatribe from a professor of English who took exception to Summers' grammar. According to the writer, Summers should have said "I regret any faculty member's leaving," not "any faculty member leaving." And the antecedent "any faculty member" required the pronouns "he or she," not "they," (Modern academics are particularly attached to the "he or she" construction, which enables them to sound politically correct and pedantic in the same breath.)

The professor went on to chide President Summers for contributing to the general decline of precision in language -- all the more distressing in someone who has presented himself as a crusader for scholarly rigor. Indeed, he said, the woeful state of the language is evident to anyone who listens to National Public Radio for 15 minutes or reads a single section of The New York Times. That's what happens when students are taught that writing is a form of pure self-expression, so that students "need never accept correction; for if it is their precious little selves they are expressing, the language of expression is answerable only to the internal judgment of those same selves." We've come to the point, the writer said, where composition teachers have a horror of acting as language police and grammar itself is regarded as a form of reactionary tyranny.

The response went on in this vein for a full 1750 words, and concluded with an insistence that all college composition courses should henceforth teach grammar and rhetoric and nothing else. In short, it was an utterly routine grammatical harangue, distinguished only by the speciousness of the occasion for it. For example, that business about having to use the possessive "any member's leaving" instead of "any member leaving" is one of those mindless superstitions that have been passed on to generations of schoolchildren at the end of Sister Petra's ruler. As the linguist Geoff Pullum pointed out in a letter to the Chronicle, if you really believed the construction was incorrect, you'd have to take a red pencil to Shakespeare, Milton, Jane Austen, and most of the other great figures of English literature. And as for the plural pronoun they, bear in mind that Summers' words were quoted from a spoken interview, and that everybody uses the plural that way in their informal speech.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:38 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Evidence again that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
JTT

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:46 am
@ehBeth,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
But on all the other points you are in full agreement, eh, Beth? Smile
ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:51 am
@JTT,
I believe the "once again" portion of my comment covers off my general view of your posts.

There are occasional exceptions.
JTT

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 10:07 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I believe the "once again" portion of my comment covers off my general view of your posts.

And so you possess that same strength of character that Set has; the inability in whatever measure it is to honestly address those concerns, those differences.

Regarding Set's "French" pronunciation. There's a good reason why foreigners sound foreign.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:39 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
loathe to admit it.

loth to admit it, I think you mean. Wink
JTT

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:46 pm
@McTag,
You're half right, McTag. I meant 'loath'.
contrex

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:58 pm
@JTT,
Loth is a variant spelling of loath.