Rover's on Mars

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 06:15 pm
@rosborne979,
It amazes me that they didn't take this into consideration. It's not like windshield wipers are high-tech, they could have provided for this. The "dust" storms on Mars aren't even dust, they're fines (micron size or smaller particles). They ought to have known that with even a mild static charge, they'd clump up on the machine and stay there. It's not as though we didn't know they have these storms. Damned nerds.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 06:57 pm
@Setanta,
I think they sometimes need a regular Joe with some common sense to consider those rather simple ideas rather than the advance degrees they need in math and science. Isn't that the same problem they had on some rocket they developed with international scientists? http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 05:40 am
@Setanta,
I don’t think, even in their wildest dreams, that they expected these rovers to still be working after a decade. So the probability of needing to clean the panels was probably so low that it was considered inconsequential compared to keeping the rover simple and light weight.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 11:51 pm
A Japanese spacecraft has successfully touched down on an asteroid some 280 million kilometres from the Earth, on a mission to collect material that could provide clues about the origin of life and the solar system.

Data from the probe, Hayabusa2, showed changes in speed and direction, indicating it had landed on the distant Ryugu asteroid and was blasting back to its orbiting position, officials from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said on Thursday.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/japan-probe-hayabusa2-touches-ryugu-asteroid-190222012545637.html?fbclid=IwAR2rHQIhX7U9dwcI7tO9JeTos2mlJ5uuqpJxLmhgJ01wVq1Vy5ib5X5Glp0&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c6f88e900bd4700011a43cb&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I thought scientists already made assumptions about the origins of life. From minerals, to acids, to proteins.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 11:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, they are always on the lookout for new information.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 06:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree; with the advance in science, we get to learn more about our environment. It's an exciting time to be living; the fact that we can travel half way around the world in one day is quite amazing! Tomorrow, it'll be the moon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 07:04 pm
The Japanese moon rover is getting built by Toyota.
roger

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 07:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
It will last a long time, but be extremely difficult to get in and out of.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 10:22 pm
@rosborne979,
This.

Exactly this.
0 Replies