when sanction serves as a verb

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:04 am
@McTag,
By the way, what are you referring to when you write: "To dialogue?"
McTag

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:10 am
@Setanta,

We could talk, write, correspond, consult etc. But I admit, "network" is pretty good.

I think I'll go and sofa myself to paperread.
McTag

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:12 am
@Setanta,

Quote:
By the way, what are you referring to when you write: "To dialogue?"

To Mr Pinker's piece, quoted by JTT, above.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:29 am
@McTag,
I don't read posts by that individual . . . the creature . . .
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:30 am
@McTag,
I would prefer that to thinking that you were attempting to have a bit of lie down . . . that's so cute . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 08:43 am
@Setanta,
"creature"? You're getting to be as senile as OmSig, Set. You tell the same old stories over and over.

You don't read my posts because I showed you to be a fool on so many issues and you just can't handle the fact that you are a fool.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 09:42 am
Well guys, the biggest professional medical forum(1) in China where I have visited and joined discussions most of time online has a rule: any personal remark will lead to your credit point (2) being taken off. You can critize how badly expressed a member's opinion is , but you can never abuse him/her as a fool.

(1) A medical forum with more than 2 million members, 60% of which hold master or doctoral degree of medical or biological science

(2) Forum professional credit point. For example, if you offer your worthy professional analysis for a medical treatment case you may be awarded one point from a moderator. So many medical college students have been complaining that the forum credit point is too hard for them to earn.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 10:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In the third sentence, the command did not authorize Lu Bu's revolt. I suggest that you think of sanction as meaning authorize in every case in which you see it as a verb, and that if it means something which is not authorized, you will see negation in some form there. I cannot, right off the top of my head, think of a case in which the verb sanction means that something is not authorized without the presence of a negating word.

How to judge when used as a noun?

For example:

In the context below, can you judge the meaning of "sanctions" at the first glance? Support or punishment? My intuition tells me it refers to "punishment." But I am not absolutely sure until reading the full text of the report.

Quote:
EU to discuss sanctions in Syria
Five hundred now dead in crackdown, monitors say, while talks begin to find an international response
Six Syrians who helped Bashar al-Assad How Syria and Libya compare Syrian ambassador's royal wedding invite withdrawn Tories face calls to return Syrian donation Libyan rebels 'hit by friendly fire'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/28/syria-eu-death-toll
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 01:22 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

For example:

In the context below, can you judge the meaning of "sanctions" at the first glance?

Quote:

I can judge the meaning of sanctions at a glance because:

Mainly:
1. I know that "sanctions" is either the present tense of the verb "to sanction" or the plural of the noun "sanction".

2. I can see from the structure of the sentence "EU to discuss sanctions" that the noun use is being employed. The sentence makes no sense otherwise.

Subsidiary reasons:
3. I know that the Syrian government has been attacking protesters with tanks and machine guns.

4. I know that national governments and international bodies like the United Nations and the EU sometimes apply sanctions against countries for various reasons.

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:09 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

For example:

In the context below, can you judge the meaning of "sanctions" at the first glance?

Quote:

I can judge the meaning of sanctions at a glance because:

Mainly:
1. I know that "sanctions" is either the present tense of the verb "to sanction" or the plural of the noun "sanction".

2. I can see from the structure of the sentence "EU to discuss sanctions" that the noun use is being employed. The sentence makes no sense otherwise.

Subsidiary reasons:
3. I know that the Syrian government has been attacking protesters with tanks and machine guns.

4. I know that national governments and international bodies like the United Nations and the EU sometimes apply sanctions against countries for various reasons.

The subsidiary reasons work very well.

But do the main reasons stand firm? Setanta has given a way of judging the meaning of sanction, in which he said when as a verb it usually means authorize; thus in your reason, it seems to me, when as a noun it would refer to "support."

So the main appears to contradict the subsidiary reasons.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:16 am
@oristarA,
When used as a noun, sanction almost always means that a penalty is being imposed. I cannot off-hand think of an example of sanction being used as a noun when it means anything else.
oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

When used as a noun, sanction almost always means that a penalty is being imposed. I cannot off-hand think of an example of sanction being used as a noun when it means anything else.

Excellent!

This method can serve as a champion warrior to sweep aside any language barriers.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:35 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
But do the main reasons stand firm? Setanta has given a way of judging the meaning of sanction, in which he said when as a verb it usually means authorize; thus in your reason, it seems to me, when as a noun it would refer to "support."

Your 'thus' is erroneous - it has been said a number of times prior to my post that 'sanction' as a noun means "punishment".

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:53 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

All of your three examples show sanction being used as a verb meaning authorise, permit, allow.

Traditionally, in modern English, sanction has only one meaning as a verb - to permit, authorise, allow, etc. When used as a noun, it means penalty or punishment.

However, it is observed occasionally in use as a verb meaning to punish. Personally I would call this an error or at least avoid it because of the potential ambiguity. The 1986 Oxford English Dictionary says "A use of doubtful acceptability at present." However I expect you will hear from others (an other in particular) that it is OK to use it this way.

As to how you may know the exact meaning, the method you should employ is to carefully study the context in which it is used.

Laughoutloud seems to have noticed that it is an autoantonym. There are a number of these, including "cleave", meaning both "stuck to" and "separate". It often occurs when a word starts meaning something neutral but is later applied in two opposite contexts. "Sanction" has a rather interesting history. The original root conveyed neither approval nor disapproval, but "holiness". It's related to "sanctity". Words tend to drift in meaning over time, and from "holiness", the word took on the connotation of "legal force". That legal force can be applied either to require things or to disallow them. This sort of thing happens all the time in language. The word "host", for example, can mean either "somebody who welcomes you" or "an army". ("Host" as "army" is relatively rare, but "hostile" is related and quite common.) The original Latin word "hostis" meant neither, it simply meant "stranger". And you can see how "stranger" could take on both positive and negative connotations. Oddly, the same word "hostis" also gave rise to the English word "guest", exactly the opposite of "host". So basically, what has happened that we start with a neutral word, then move on to apply both negative and positive connotations to it in different contexts. Eventually, the word ends up taking on both connotations, effectively meaning the opposite.

I reread this. It's excellent.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 12:38 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

All of your three examples show sanction being used as a verb meaning authorise, permit, allow.

Traditionally, in modern English, sanction has only one meaning as a verb - to permit, authorise, allow, etc. When used as a noun, it means penalty or punishment.

I've now found two sentences in which the word sanction used as a noun means approval or endorsement:

1) We received sanction to proceed with our plans.

2) The government gave its sanction to what the Minister had done.
0 Replies