when sanction serves as a verb

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:17 am

I have difficulty to identify the meaning of the word "sanction" when it serves as a verb. Because it has two meanings contrary to each other (one means to ratify, and another means to punish).

1) The government has sanctioned the use of force. (authorized?)
2) His actions were not sanctioned by his superiors. (ratified?)

3) But this command, afirming the principle of "strong trunk, weak branches," sanctioned no revolt of the disaffected Lu Bu against central authority, (joined?)

How to know the exact meaning of the word sanction when it is a verb?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,935 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:24 am
In the third sentence, the command did not authorize Lu Bu's revolt. I suggest that you think of sanction as meaning authorize in every case in which you see it as a verb, and that if it means something which is not authorized, you will see negation in some form there. I cannot, right off the top of my head, think of a case in which the verb sanction means that something is not authorized without the presence of a negating word.
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:32 am
@oristarA,
I love how you cleave sentences.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:38 am
@oristarA,
All of your three examples show sanction being used as a verb meaning authorise, permit, allow.

Traditionally, in modern English, sanction has only one meaning as a verb - to permit, authorise, allow, etc. When used as a noun, it means penalty or punishment.

However, it is observed occasionally in use as a verb meaning to punish. Personally I would call this an error or at least avoid it because of the potential ambiguity. The 1986 Oxford English Dictionary says "A use of doubtful acceptability at present." However I expect you will hear from others (an other in particular) that it is OK to use it this way.

As to how you may know the exact meaning, the method you should employ is to carefully study the context in which it is used.

Laughoutloud seems to have noticed that it is an autoantonym. There are a number of these, including "cleave", meaning both "stuck to" and "separate". It often occurs when a word starts meaning something neutral but is later applied in two opposite contexts. "Sanction" has a rather interesting history. The original root conveyed neither approval nor disapproval, but "holiness". It's related to "sanctity". Words tend to drift in meaning over time, and from "holiness", the word took on the connotation of "legal force". That legal force can be applied either to require things or to disallow them. This sort of thing happens all the time in language. The word "host", for example, can mean either "somebody who welcomes you" or "an army". ("Host" as "army" is relatively rare, but "hostile" is related and quite common.) The original Latin word "hostis" meant neither, it simply meant "stranger". And you can see how "stranger" could take on both positive and negative connotations. Oddly, the same word "hostis" also gave rise to the English word "guest", exactly the opposite of "host". So basically, what has happened that we start with a neutral word, then move on to apply both negative and positive connotations to it in different contexts. Eventually, the word ends up taking on both connotations, effectively meaning the opposite.

oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:38 am
Excellent! Guys.

Statistically speaking, the cloud has been dispersed.

The sun shines now.

Thank you.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 09:08 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Personally I would call this an error or at least avoid it because of the potential ambiguity.

And then you go on at length, Contrex, explaining to us how numerous English words are full of ambiguity. And how do we English speakers deal with this ambiguity?

A wise man said, "As to how you may know the exact meaning, the method you should employ is to carefully study the context in which it is used."
contrex

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 10:47 am
@JTT,
I suppose it would have been more truthful if I had written "It never occurs to me to use the word 'sanction' as a verb when I mean 'punish' or 'penalise'. I am not completely sure why. I think it is probably because I am aware that it has another, less common meaning, which looks 'wrong' to me and feels unnatural, even though I know this is irrational".
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 11:10 am
@contrex,
I understand what you're saying, Contrex. I can't recall that I've ever used the verb 'sanction' in my life.

But, it does exist.

AHD

sanction verb

3. To penalize, especially for violating a moral principle or international law.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 11:18 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I have difficulty to identify the meaning of the word

have difficulty in identifying

3) But this command, afirming the principle of "strong trunk, weak branches," sanctioned no revolt of the disaffected Lu Bu against central authority,

(joined?)

Do you have more context for this example, Ori?
McTag

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 12:59 pm

Americans love to make verbs out of nouns. It's daft, but rather endearing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:20 pm
If you want to talk about daft, and the confusion of verbs and nouns, i suggest you contact the Royal Navy.
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 03:28 pm
@Setanta,
There's no confusion of verbs and nouns. There is a great deal of confusion among the daft who spout this kind of nonsense.

Quote:

Through the ages, language mavens have deplored the way English speakers convert nouns into verbs. The following verbs have all been denounced in this century: to caveat to input to host to nuance to access to chair to dialogue to showcase to progress to parent to intrigue to contact to impact As you can see, they range from varying degrees of awkwardness to the completely unexceptionable. In fact, easy conversion of nouns to verbs has been part of English grammar for centuries; it is one of the processes that make English English. I have estimated that about a fifth of all English verbs were originally nouns. Considering just the human body, you can [head a committee, scalp the missionary, eye a babe, stomach someone's complaints], and so on -- virtually every body part can be verbed (including several that cannot be printed in a family journal of opinion).

What's the problem? The concern seems to be that fuzzy-minded speakers are slowly eroding the distinction between nouns and verbs. But once again, the person in the street is not getting any respect. A simple quirk of everyday usage shows why the accusation is untrue. Take the baseball term [to fly out], a verb that comes from the noun [a pop fly]. The past tense is [flied], not [flew]; no mere mortal has ever [flown out] to center field. Similarly, in using the verb-from-noun [to ring the city] (form a ring around), people say [ringed], not [rang], and for [to grandstand] (play to the grandstand), they say [grandstanded] not [grandstood]. Speakers' preference for the regular form with [-ed] shows that they are tacitly sensitive to the fact that the verbs came from nouns. They avoid irregular forms like [flew out] because they intuitively sense that the baseball verb [to fly] is different from the ordinary verb [to fly] (what birds do): the first is a verb based on a noun root, the second, a verb with a verb root. Only the verb root is allowed to have the irregular past-tense form [flew], because only for verb roots does it make sense to have [any] past-tense form. The quirk shows that when people use a noun as a verb, they are making their mental dictionaries more sophisticated, not less so -- it's not that words are losing their identities as verbs versus nouns; rather, there are verbs, there are nouns, and there are verbs based on nouns, and people store each one with a different mental tag.

The most remarkable aspect of the special status of verbs-from-nouns is that everyone feels it. I have tried out examples on hundreds of people -- college students, volunteers without a college education, and children as young as four. They all behave like good intuitive grammarians: they inflect verbs that come from nouns differently from plain old verbs. So is there anyone, anywhere, who does not grasp the principle? Yes -- the language mavens. Uniformly, the style manuals bungle their explanations of [flied out] and similar lawful examples.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:33 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I have difficulty to identify the meaning of the word

have difficulty in identifying

3) But this command, afirming the principle of "strong trunk, weak branches," sanctioned no revolt of the disaffected Lu Bu against central authority,

(joined?)

Do you have more context for this example, Ori?

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=RtwAMoUzDJcC&pg=PA173&lpg=PA173&dq=%22strong+trunk,+weak+branches%22&source=bl&ots=p5D94UJPTS&sig=2ydMXU3b7MNP97V2V5N7Zi1OZm4&hl=zh-CN&ei=ohK2TYWsGoGKuAPm6KyjDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22strong%20trunk%2C%20weak%20branches%22&f=false

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you want to talk about daft, and the confusion of verbs and nouns, i suggest you contact the Royal Navy.

Set, I want to take a look at the evidence. Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:01 pm
@oristarA,
Well, for starters, tack is a noun meaning how a ship sails in relation to the wind. Tack is also a noun which refers to the rope from the corner of a sail to the side of the ship away from the wind--the rope from the corner of the sail to the side of ship in the wind is the sheet. However, if you change from one tack (course in relation to the wind) to the opposite tack, the sheet becomes the tack (meaning rope) and the tack (meaning rope) becomes the sheet.

We're not done yet, though, not by a long chalk. Tack is also a verb, meaning to sail at an angle in relationship to the wind (and hence, the noun tack which refers to the ship's course). However, a sailing vessel cannot sail directly into the wind, so in order to go in the direction from which the wind is coming, it is necessary to tack--to sail at one angle to the wind, and then switch to the other. So, if the wind is from the north, you would sail northeast, and that would be the port or larboard tack (starboard, larboard and port--now there's some fun there), because the wind is coming over the larboard, or port, bow (meaning to the left, as you face forward from the rear of the ship--of course, if you are facing aft from the front of the ship, larboard, or port, is on your right). Then, you would sail to the northwest, on the starboard tack--meaning that the wind is coming over the starboard bow (which is to the right as you face forward from the rear of the ship--of course, if you are on the forecastle [pronounced foke-sul] or front of the ship, facing aft, starboard is on your left).

We've barely scratched the surface. To change from the port (or larboard) tack to the starboard tack, you can either tack (another verb meaning to cross the "eye" of the wind) changing course by about 100 degrees, with a high degree of difficulty for all but the best ships and crews; or, you can wear, a verb meaning to change course by turning away from the wind, and moving through an arc of about 250 degrees--much easier to accomplish, but extremely dangerous in battle, and a maneuver which will lose some of the distance you've gained, especially if your ship has a lot of leeway. So, to sail on those alternate courses is calling tacking.

Oh, i delight in the thought of introducing you to the language of sailing ships, because i know i can confuse you in a few paragraphs every time. The one thing tack does not mean to a blue-water sailor is this:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/images/tack.jpg
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:33 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not sure that this is what Ori had in mind.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:57 pm
Indeed. Set, two or more evidences about how the Royal Navy uses English would speak for themselves.

I venture to think that the usages of the word tack were invented by the Royal Navy?

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 03:30 am
@oristarA,
Well, as they are English usages, one can suggest that the usages may have been invented by English mariners. The Royal Navy itself usually dates itself to the reign of King Henry VIII (1509-1547), although his father, Henry VII (1485-1509), actually started building a permanent navy.

How ancient the origin and uses of tack as noun or verb are, i wouldn't care to speculate. Many linguists have said that starboard (as one looks forward from the stern of the ship, the right-hand side) comes from Old Norse, and refers to the steering board which was lowered over that side of the ship. However, i'm not entirely convinced that that is true. The Picts and the Frisians, especially the Frisians, were the major sea-going traders of the British Isles, the North Sea and the Scandanavian coast going at least as far back as the Roman Empire, and probably farther back than that. English is in many respects derived from Frisian (particularly the syntax, and a lot of the common noun vocabulary), so we may have had it directly from them, given that the Norse learned blue water sailing from them.
McTag

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 03:53 am
@Setanta,

"To dialogue"?

I said it was endearing.

My beef, if such there be, is in a new word being fashioned when a perfectly serviceable word already exists.
Sometimes it's useful when it allows brevity with no loss of meaning; "to eye a babe", for example.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:03 am
@McTag,
People use "network" as a verb, when reticulate was already available and perfectly serviceable. What would you suppose the likely reaction would be if you suggested to a friend that they could use the internet to reticulate?