Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 13,874 • Replies: 102
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
Wow, you are quick Individual!...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:16 pm
The habit of exchange is as ancient as counting numbers, or the concept of deity, which may signify the market is natural and good.
Too much reliance on money is bad, though.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:18 pm
Deep down I believe that the leaders of virtually all religions, governments and other societal institutions are capitalists. Therefore capitalism is simply admitting what we all naturally aspire to is morally acceptable. The positive side effects far outweigh the negatives. Hence: Capitalism is Good!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:20 pm
Should our pursuits be centered on money? Is it sinful or damaging to waste our time on menial jobs in order to receive little slips of paper when most of life's treasures are free?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:25 pm
Good? Capitalism turns our focus away from things that we need infinitely more. It is selfish (with few exceptions) and cuts off any meaningful contact with society. Can we expect to live life to the fullest when we deprive ourselves of our most basic instincts?

No wonder people are so uptight these days, capitalism is effecting our way of life in a way that our sub-conscious can't sort out and deal with thus creating an internal conflict that can never be healed. We are truly hurting ourselves, the body is not a machine and fights capitalism in every way possible. Why do you think that people who don't constantly strive for money are more emotionally sound?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:26 pm
It may well be sinful, and most of life's treasures are free, but people will pursue it anyway. Since they are going to anyway, regardless of doctrine, why not admit it?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:29 pm
Capitalism is one of those annoying things that people seek to their death when they don't actually need it in the first place.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:38 pm
I don't view selfishness as a bad thing. I view it as an honest thing. When I help my fellow man it creates a better world for me. I don't see it cutting me off from society and I certainly don't deprive myself of any basic instincts. Could you make examples of this? What internal conflict? Why would ones body be hurt or need to fight capitalism?

Quote:
Why do you think that people who don't constantly strive for money are more emotionally sound? Capitalism is one of those annoying things that people seek to their death when they don't actually need it in the first place.
Too much of anything is bad. Religious fanatics are at least as unstable. No?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:45 pm
Now that I think about it, you are right about the selfish part.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:50 pm
Society is the basic instinct, what I meant was that...
Suppose you go to work one day, you're an architect or the vice president of Microsoft. On you're way to your spacious office with a giant window that looks onto the city, you greet assistants, secretaries, coworkers...and you have little chats with them. You ask them about their family and how the little coworker jr. is doing...but are you really sincere about what you say? Are most people really trying to form lasting relationships with the people that they work with on their way to riches or are they just trying to make their work-place more comfortable and accommodating?

People need real contact with real people, not a dull chat with a meticulously painted facade.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:57 pm
I do believe that to much of some things are bad for you...
I should probably get some more sleep before I try to make a good debate. Everything is going all googly on me...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:01 am
Do people at church not have the same prerequisite chats for politically correct reasoning? I plead guilty to the charge, but does that really have anything to do with capitalism? Regardless of religion or lack thereof a person is sometimes forced to set his personal beliefs in performance of his work. Though I do have friends that I work with, my main contact with "real people" occurs on my personal time. Is that not so for religious people as well?
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:01 am
I have never seen or heard of anything better than capitalism as an economic mechanism and an institutionalized social system. It is operationally the best system ever to serve the common good by executing "everybody takes care of each other" formula, with the aid of currency.

It is dangerous though, if such a formula turns into "which one got more." The use of currency may make us twist the view on fairness and equity (or equality) because money itself gives an additional measure to one's decision and judgment.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:03 am
Take your time and have a good night. This is showing signs of being an intriguing debate. Thank you for starting it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:12 am
Very true metaethics. However, I submit that the parallel to the twisting of views on fairness is far worse in other systems as well. The use of currency... is no worse in this respect.
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:16 am
O, what are the other systems?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:24 am
metaethics wrote:
O, what are the other systems?

You obviously already know.
metaethics wrote:
I have never seen or heard of anything better than capitalism as an economic mechanism and an institutionalized social system.

It is also evident you know precisely who John Galt is; and I'd venture to guess that, like me, you agree with most of his philosophy. :wink:
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:42 am
Tell me about it. I think I've also seen a bumper sticker! Talk to you tomorrow.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:45 am
LOL, I've got the bumber sticker on the door of my condo. Laughing Good night.
0 Replies