Wild Card Playoffs in NFL

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:00 pm
Sounds good to me Occom. Plus Favre knows how to win, he's won a championship before, and Ahman Green went to Nebraska, so he is no stranger to big games. I think the key is in the Packers secondary. Bob and Ziggy have to shut down Pinkston and Thrash, and Sharper has to knock some teeth out.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
Gus... pssst... since you're so sure, wouldn't hurt to make a little wager, eh? If the Packers win the superbowl, you gotta wear a cheesehead for a week. (Avatarially speaking.) Whaddya say?

He's sure of himself, but not that sure.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:52 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
Sounds good to me Occom. Plus Favre knows how to win, he's won a championship before, and Ahman Green went to Nebraska, so he is no stranger to big games. I think the key is in the Packers secondary. Bob and Ziggy have to shut down Pinkston and Thrash, and Sharper has to knock some teeth out.

Agreed. Donatell needs to has have faith in Milli Vanilli and attack McNabb regularly. Twisted Evil Our nickel-dime packages simply don't work. Sad Our 3 and outs are usually the results of Blitz, not Coverage Sets. They'll blow coverage once or twice, but so what. Shocked We have the luxury of not counting on our defense to win the game for us. The Packer's offensive line should dominate the line of scrimmage, so I'd plan on beating them in a shoot out, if not a blowout. Laughing The frequency of Blitzes will be the determining factor which. :wink:
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
Another factor-Phillies star running back :wink: is out, and Im talkin' about Westbrook, not the other 2 star running backs they have. Althought Buckhalter went to Nebraska.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:18 pm
Bill, I've been to a different football boards and I've noticed something about you cheeseheads -- you guys go friggin' crazy with the emoticons! Why is that? Is it something in the cheese that causes this rather perplexing behavior. Do you feel the emoticons are adding strength to your argument?

I'll bet that's it! You start rambling about Favre being this great quarterback and then you realize that he's a shell of his former self, a broken-down man who would be better suited sitting on a fishing pier than looking ridiculous trying to attempt a pass in a sport that has long ago passed him by.

You realize the reader of your cheese-induced diatribes might began to realize that Favre is washed up. You panic and think, "Maybe if I throw a whole shitload of emoticons in this post they'll be distracted and forgot about Favre's shortcomings.

Ain't gonna work, Bill. I can see right through your devious plan.

And, Sozobe, regarding this....

Quote:
Gus... pssst... since you're so sure, wouldn't hurt to make a little wager, eh? If the Packers win the superbowl, you gotta wear a cheesehead for a week. (Avatarially speaking.) Whaddya say?

I will take that wager in a heartbeat, so confident am I that the Packers will, once again, next week, cause millions of people around the country to guffaw and slap their knees as the Packers stumble around with ineptitude not seen since the Keystone Cops. As soon as I figure out what you will have placed on your head after the Packers lose, we'll complete the wager. (I'm thinking maybe an ice pack since your head is going to be throbbing from gritting your teeth for three hours)
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:24 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I'll bet that's it! You start rambling about Favre being this great quarterback and then you realize that he's a shell of his former self, a broken-down man who would be better suited sitting on a fishing pier than looking ridiculous trying to attempt a pass in a sport that has long ago passed him by.

You realize the reader of your cheese-induced diatribes might began to realize that Favre is washed up. You panic and think, "Maybe if I throw a whole shitload of emoticons in this post they'll be distracted and forgot about Favre's shortcomings.
Quote:

Hmmm,

G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

16 16 471 308 65.4 3361 7.14 66 32 21 19/137 42 7 90.4

Yeah, I look at those numbers, and I can see exactly what you are talking about.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:27 pm
Farve is old, but he is still better than McNabb, who was booed on draft day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:31 pm
Ice pack vs. cheesehead it is!! (Scrambling off to plop a cheesehead on ol' Gus here... just in case, mind you, to have it ready and all... should I leave it cheddar orange or make it black and white, to blend?)

Here's the thing about Brett, Gus ol' boy: His technical skills are masterful. But he also has a ton of heart (yes I know football cliche but true) and thrives on heightened emotions. (So the emoticon thing may not be so far-fetched.) He's like Michael Jordan that way, the regular no-stakes games are almost boring, but give 'em a high-stakes game and watch out.

Brett can't do it himself, but the thing is he might not HAVE to. That's a first in the last several years. There is Ahman, of course, but this injury-plagued team is generally healthier than they've been in a long while. All of these defensive guys back.

So if you've got a hot Brett (not that he's ever not hot, but I digress), Ahman having a great year, an offensive line that ROCKS, a bunch of great defensive guys bolstered by people coming off the injured reserve... Lookin' good, baby.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:18 pm
You're looking at life through green and gold glasses, Soz. It's quite obvious I'm not going to convince you that your team is going to crash and burn.

Here's what I want you to do: Take a deep, analytical look at the teams the Packers would have to beat to get to the Superbowl -- St. Louis, Philly, Carolina. Now, the Packers will have to beat two of those three teams to get to the Big Dance, and to make the task all the more daunting, it will have to be on the road. No way around that since the Packers are the lowest remaining seed.

The three aforementioned teams are vastly superior to the Packers and they will be playing at home.

I'm sorry, Soz, but even if the Packers get lucky in Philly, they're not going to beat Carolina or the Rams.

That's the reality of the situation.

Get that ice pack ready.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:37 pm
What makes you so sure that Philly is the superior team?

Offense is average, Defense is average, and their Special Teams aren't that special.

The reason they are 12-4??? Andy Reid, and he hasn't won a big game in his career.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:41 pm
I sense fear in your voice, Child. Brace yourself... your worst fears lie ahead.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:49 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I sense fear in your voice, Child. Brace yourself... your worst fears lie ahead.

In what part of my last statement was fearful? I am seriously suprised that you don't see that Green Bay is a superior team. Philly has a shot, but only because of Andy Reid, and their home field advantage. But Packers will still win.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:37 pm
Injuries are a huge part of this, Gus. I was in need of an ice pack earlier this year when I saw Donald Driver wheeled off the field on a stretcher and then Robert Ferguson leveled a few plays later. Then there was Darren Sharper, Nick Barnett, Najeh Davenport, Gilbert Brown (Gilbert!!), Mike McKenzie, Bubba Franks, Al Harris (Al!!), Javon Walker, and more I think. Not to mention Brett's thumb, which is now at the point where he evidently doesn't need a splint (though he is wearing it anyway because he has gotten used to it.)

And all of those guys, as far as I know, are now ready to play. (Al certainly is.)

In other words, if they stay healthy -- and that's a big if -- the team that has the poorest record of those remaining in the playoffs is not the team that will be on the field. And the HEALTHY team on the field is looking pretty good.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 01:02 am
Excellent points Sozobe and Child (eh, you know what I mean :wink: ). But this one's for Gus. Gus, I have to tell you I enjoy reading your posts as much as I enjoy reading anyone else on A2K. There are not enough emoticons on earth to show you how much you make me laugh. Laughing Your commentary on Brett is so startlingly ignorant; I know you do it on purpose, for our benefit. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. Drunk
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:56 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. Drunk

He gets drunk before he posts. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:53 pm
How infamous do you guys think that Panther/Ram game will become?

One of the best I have seen in a while, it was great!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 08:21 pm
Don't know, but I love the outcome!... No Domes... All Grass from here on in! Drunk
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 08:41 pm
Not really, Indy vs. Tenny would be in a dome, but that isn't likely.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 07:18 pm
Philly just kicked the winning Field Goal in OT against Green Bay!

Let me be the first to say to all the cheeseheads how deeply sorry I am that they won't be the team to lose to the Patriots in 3 weeks.

Maybe next year.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 07:40 pm
I don't care what happens from here on out. I could care less if the Patriots win the Super Bowl, if the Eagles do, or the Colts.... hell even the Panthers.

The only thing I care about has happened....

THE FRIGGIN' PACKERS ARE OUT!!

I haven't been this happy since Gertrude showed me that trick with her tongue back in '39.
0 Replies