Wild Card Playoffs in NFL

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:39 pm
Who are the teams in the wild card roung in the playoffs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,373 • Replies: 55
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:32 pm
Well, there's one fewer just now, gard.

Titans won over the Ravens 20-17; Cowboys and Panthers (on your ABC station at this moment; 3-0 Carolina in the first quarter), Packers and Seahawks, and Colts and Broncos play tomorrow.

The teams who won their conference championships have a bye this week and play the winners of these games next week.

That would be the Eagles and Chiefs and Rams and Patriots.

The matchups depend on the various schedules and tie-breaking mechanisms employed by the NFL.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:20 pm
Has the wild card selection process changed ?

I don't recall only one team from NFC Central going to the playoffs before. Maybe that's just because our division didn't used to be so pitiful?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:47 pm
It's always been decided on the basis of the win-loss records and those infernal tie-breaking criteria.

These rulesare obviously the work of idle minds.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:52 pm
Oh, it's the re-aligning into 8 4-team divisions that does it. I THOUGHT NFC Central useta be bigger.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:17 pm
My prediction-Titans lose to the Pats.

Colts beat Denver, and beat Cheifs, but lose to Pats

and GB beats Seattle, GB beats Philly, and the Rams Beat Panthers. GB beats Rams

So, in the Super Bowl, we have Green Bay vs. Patriots

What a game it will be, Packers win 33-28, and Brett Farve retires, on top, the way he should, as a champion.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
phase 1 complete, Packers beat Seattle.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
phase 2 is lookin' good Colts over Denver.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:48 pm
Child of light, the Super Bowl win and retiring on top thing is what I want for Brett, too.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:46 pm
It is very likely if you ask me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:50 pm
The chances of the Packers winning the Super Bowl this year, or at any time in the next hundred years, are roughly equivalent to seeing Elvis Presley and Bigfoot on a double date with John Lennon and a meat cutter from the Bronx.

Ain't gonna happen folks. Deal with it.

Go Eagles!!!!!!!! (America's team)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:07 pm
Philadelphia has a lot of swamps, eh?

I don't know if it will happen or not -- I have zero impartiality and just can't tell -- but I'm sure hoping.

Will keep an eye out for the Elvis/ Lennon thing.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:13 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
The chances of the Packers winning the Super Bowl this year, or at any time in the next hundred years, are roughly equivalent to seeing Elvis Presley and Bigfoot on a double date with John Lennon and a meat cutter from the Bronx.

Ain't gonna happen folks. Deal with it.

Go Eagles!!!!!!!! (America's team)

I do believe the chances are much better than that, the way I see it The Eagles have no defense. They can't rush the passer, nor can they defend the pass. So get ready for Mississippi's native son, Favre. Oh yeah, and Mr. Green isn't that bad either, 1800 rushing yards compared to The Eagles rag tag group of misfits who equated 1000 maybe. So get ready for a shock my friend.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:43 am
Shock? From the Packers? Ha!

The Packers have no business being in the playoffs. There was not one qualified representative from the NFC North. The Packers just happen to be in the playoffs because someone from each division has to go.

Put the Packers in any other division in the NFL and they are firmly entrenched on the bottom, and that's where they belong -- they are quintessential bottom-feeders.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:27 am
The Pat's are the team of destiny!

The Packers may make it, but they can't beat the Patriots who have too much heart to lose.

We are seeing the beginning of a Patriots Dynasty for the 2000s (and who woulda thought 4 years ago that I would be using those two words in the same sentence Wink )
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:42 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Shock? From the Packers? Ha!

The Packers have no business being in the playoffs. There was not one qualified representative from the NFC North. The Packers just happen to be in the playoffs because someone from each division has to go.

Put the Packers in any other division in the NFL and they are firmly entrenched on the bottom, and that's where they belong -- they are quintessential bottom-feeders.

Yeah, it's every year that quintessential bottom-feeders win their division, and then win a playoff game, you are SO right on this one. You are an obvious homer, and your vision is clouded by bias.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:44 am
ebrown_p wrote:
The Pat's are the team of destiny!

The Packers may make it, but they can't beat the Patriots who have too much heart to lose.

We are seeing the beginning of a Patriots Dynasty for the 2000s (and who woulda thought 4 years ago that I would be using those two words in the same sentence Wink )

Another homer, and you Boston guys are the worst of all the homers. I am from Mississippi, so I have a total unbiased view. Pats are good, damn good, but they aren't gonna beat the Packers.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:37 am
Child, you go around calling people homers and you actually believe the Packers have a chance to go to the Super Bowl. That is friggin' hysterical.

The only people in the country who think the Packers could advance to the Super Bowl are the Cheeseheads, and that's because they're so drunk they don't know any better.

Come back when you sober up. You might make more sense.

(Packers in the Super Bowl -- you're killing me, man)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:24 am
Gus... pssst... since you're so sure, wouldn't hurt to make a little wager, eh? If the Packers win the superbowl, you gotta wear a cheesehead for a week. (Avatarially speaking.) Whaddya say?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:59 am
That Child of the Light appears to be a very wise man. Love them predictions! I'll give Philly a little more credit than that but Gus, please. Shocked The Packers are severely out classed by no one. Everyone who's anyone in football knows when Brett Favre's on; anything can happenÂ… Especially, since you now that you have to stack the box, to stop Ahman Green. If Philly doesn't win the turnover battle, they will be out scored by The Pack. The Packers finished the regular season ranked higher than Philly in these key categories:
1) Total Offense. :wink:
2) Passing Offense. :wink:
3) Rushing Offense. :wink:
4) Scoring Offense. :wink:
and
5) Total Defense. :wink:

They say in the playoffs you have to be able to "run and stop the run". The Packers are favored over the Eagles in both categories. Both Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport average more yards per carry than any Philadelphia running back. As for the passing Game; Favre's stats dwarf McNabbs in every category accept interceptions (and our O-Line allowed half as many sacks, too). And by the way; our division won just as many games as theirs did, too (31). :wink:

Statistically speaking; the Packers are a far better football team. Now I realize, as the greatest coach who ever lived (Vince Lombardi) once said, "Any team can beat any team on any given Sunday". I will say that I think the Eagles have a better coaching staff, and I believe that's why they won more games and consequently have home field advantage. However, I think the Packer's have the better on-field talent and I'm hoping they can use it to bring an unprecedented 13th Championship home to Titletown!

Now, let me hear you say it! Goooooooooooooooooooo Pack! Laughing
0 Replies