Gay Marriage; Separation of Church and State

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:06 am
@sozobe,
exactly

i've performed oral sex on women, i guess i'm a lesbian, in Ionus world i could be head of a governmental department
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:12 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i've performed oral sex on women, i guess i'm a lesbian
No, thats foreplay taken to extremes .

Quote:
in Ionus world i could be head of a governmental department
Of course you would have to get jobs for all your friends....then you would have to really screw it to those evil men...if the word got out , you would be promoted away from it so it could be normalised.....you'd still be a laughing stock amongst other public servants though .

Any of you people get confused between trains and buses ?
TheArtfulDodger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
It defined marriage in (what I saw as) a rather underhanded way.
While yes, there was a definition listed, the reason the debate is going the direction it has is dominantly due to things like this (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-barr5-2009jan05,0,1855836.story) and the fact that Obama recently mandated that DOMA should no longer be enforced. While it hasn't been repealed, it certainly looks as though Obama's preparing to tackle the issue of repealing it, hence my original question.
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:10 pm
@TheArtfulDodger,
. . . dominantly due? . . . oh my achin' eyes . . .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:04 pm
@sozobe,
What part of missionary position don't you understand Sozobe?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:13 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
No, thats foreplay taken to extremes .

I'm not certain whether this is spoken like the uninitiated or the unsuccessful.

Gathering inference from his posts, I suggest the latter.
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
What part of missionary position don't you understand Sozobe?
Spoken like a true Libby Lobby(ist) . Most women prefer the missionary position . The Libby Lobby didnt like though...it had men on top....unacceptable .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:40 pm
@plainoldme,
So what do you think it is ? Or is your level of contribution restricted to darting in and out ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:15 pm
@djjd62,
dj, you are so funny.. and also right.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
In case I get quizzed by Ionus, I'm a hetero woman who is fine with gay marriage be it in civil or church ceremonies. Well, not only fine, but strongly for them.

I thank Plainoldme for her input re marriage as developed over time.
TheArtfulDodger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Agreed - I was a little slow on the pick up, but once it was explained, Plainoldme raised a very valid point.
If I remember correctly, some of the more recent controversy with DOMA has been regarding the federal marriage definition with regards to inheritance taxes, etc. when a spouse passes away, or with company insurance coverage for spouses. I found something a week or two which described the manner of taxation and extent to which a homosexual spouse is taxed for whatever is left in a will versus how the rules are applied to heterosexual married couples. I'll try to dig it up - interesting read.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:01 pm
@TheArtfulDodger,
Will be interested.

Dodger, we are mixed here with our sexualities and with our alliances.
Your being slow on the pick up is understandable - you've walked into a very world wide web place, but one with a core sort of group that snarls at each other over a lot of matters and often understands even while snarling, but sometimes not.. It can be perplexing.

Relax, for a minute.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:10 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
If a heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman engage in anal intercourse it's gay sex?
What do you see it as ?

Quote:
Then the phrase has no meaning.
Sex has no meaning ? Perhaps you are doing it wrong .

The degree of not getting it you are displaying is astounding.

A
R
T
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 02:36 am
@failures art,
Quote:
The degree of not getting it you are displaying is astounding.
But Arty, you take such pride in "getting it" that you have no personality of your own...you are a copybook for the left .
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:43 am
@TheArtfulDodger,
Besides, if you are in the process of a no fault divorce, the court cares for nothing but the division of property. Of course, there are questions to be settled in that regard, however, there is a greater emphasis on property than on any children.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:52 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
there is a greater emphasis on property than on any children.
That is exactly wrong....the first duty of any divorce court is the safety of the children .
TheArtfulDodger

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:53 am
@Ionus,
Unfortunately the only word coming to mind is "toss up", though I know that doesn't accurately describe it... There's value in both your argument and plainoldme's.

Due to moral persuasions and the concept of familial values, I'd think that the matter of children and their safety/well-being is typically considered first in today's courts. However, some of the outrage regarding the way DOMA has been applied is definitely related to property rights - what with the way inheritance taxes are handled differently among hetero and same-sex couples. I have yet to find the report I managed to dig up a few weeks ago... still digging.

Is there any special manner in which courts handle child custody in same-sex divorces (in states where such unions have been legalized)? I'm a bit curious, as I'm unfamiliar with it - would it depend at all if the child (or children) was biologically related to one parent (IVF for lesbian couple/surrogate mother for gay couple) and not the other, or if the child was adopted?
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm
this is my one issue with gays wanting "marriage", i first heard it voiced by radio god ron bennington, why do gays aspire to emulate a marital institution that doesn't want them and is pretty much a broken thing (a large majority of marriages ending in divorce), why not strive for something new, a marriage like thing that is all their own, make it work and maybe the straights might want to join them
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
this is my one issue with gays wanting "marriage", i first heard it voiced by radio god ron bennington, why do gays aspire to emulate a marital institution that doesn't want them and is pretty much a broken thing (a large majority of marriages ending in divorce),

This actually is not at all true, would you like my stats again? (I know I've given 'em a few times -- I forget the whole thing but my cohort [college educated + married at least 10 years] had a divorce rate in the teens. It's definitely not "a large majority of divorces ending in divorce" no matter how you slice it.)
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:44 pm
@sozobe,
even forgetting the divorce rate, why would a group want to be part of an institution that shuns them, try to strive for something different and better