Reasons for God...

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, I put it that way hoping to be clear that I don't involve others in my belief. Religion does that a lot. I discern between my personal belief in God, and religion, I am not religious. I see every reason for someone to not believe in god. That's the point, it's entirely personal in the end, based on the percieved value of the individual.
I stay as far away as I can from defining my personal God, in my mind, it's as simple as god is or isn't. Beyond that, nobody knows, regardless what they say.
IMO all any of us can know is the personal value of our decision. If it works for you, go with it. You are the sole measure of that value.
Hope that clears it up a bit.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:30 am
@Krumple,
Lets take a step back here, and you tell me precisely what you mean by unconditional love, because I suspect we have different understandings of what it means.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:33 am
@wayne,
The way I see it, our notion of self, our belief in separate identity is what limits our experience. This notion of self is useful on a daily basis in conducting our lives, but it is possible to meditate on deeper levels of existence, and when we do so the self 'dissipates' (for lack of a better word). The same happens when we sleep.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 09:13 am
@wayne,
Good.
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:10 pm

the only reason for any god(s) is the ignorance of the Nature of the Universe
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:21 pm
@north,
More precisely, the ignorance of man. Men created all gods; they felt women were subhumans not worth the education, and looked upon as second class citizens - in all cultures.

Looked what happened to Obama as our first black president. The righties went so far as to question his American birth; something they have never done to white presidents - after the election. And they're trying to convince everybody it's not about race.

Many whites forget we are all products from our ancestors that began in Africa. They insult themselves by insulting our president. But stupidity knows no bounds.

north

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 12:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

More precisely, the ignorance of man. Men created all gods; they felt women were subhumans not worth the education, and looked upon as second class citizens - in all cultures.

Looked what happened to Obama as our first black president. The righties went so far as to question his American birth; something they have never done to white presidents - after the election. And they're trying to convince everybody it's not about race.

Many whites forget we are all products from our ancestors that began in Africa. They insult themselves by insulting our president. But stupidity knows no bounds.

agreed on all points
0 Replies

jakeo102

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:53 pm
@gungasnake,
It's funny how you continue to call those who believe in evolution idiots, while going on a tirade which clearly shows that you do not understand even the basic tenets of evolutionary theory. You try to add humor into your rant through smug sarcasm, but you fail to realize how horribly stupid you come off. You do an extreme injustice to the huge number of thoughtful and intelligent theistic scientists, who helped develop our understanding of our natural world.

If you were to sit in on any college level evo course you would probably be able to identify most of your truly idiotic statements within the first few weeks.

Take your birds and flight example. By your logic any animal that flies or glides, to any extent, MUST have all of those features you list. If you were to use any bit of logic in your reasoning you would have first started to develop a list of all the animals which have few or none of these features or combinations, but still move through the air. Following that you would not have made your claim, unless you are simply a liar.

There really are way too many ignorant and just unintelligent comments to address, but I think the way you anthropomorphise clearly demonstrates you do not have the mental capacity or maturity to discuss such topics.

You should stick to alien conspiracies, at least then you just look crazy, and not mentally retarded.
Chights47

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 09:41 am
@jakeo102,
jakeo102 wrote:

It's funny how you continue to call those who believe in evolution idiots, while going on a tirade which clearly shows that you do not understand even the basic tenets of evolutionary theory. You try to add humor into your rant through smug sarcasm, but you fail to realize how horribly stupid you come off. You do an extreme injustice to the huge number of thoughtful and intelligent theistic scientists, who helped develop our understanding of our natural world.

It funny how that applies to every belief. In a general sense, every belief is both true and false at the same time. They aren't both true and false for all people. It's just that some people believe one thing, then decline another. Since everyone has different belief's, it stands to reason that (in a general sense), everything is both right and wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 09:54 am
@Chights47,
That the sun will rise tomorrow is true and false?
Chights47

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 02:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That the sun will rise tomorrow is true and false?

So do you believe that you can speak for every single person on this planet? There is an excessively vast majority of people that do believe that, but what about people who believe in Metaphysical Solipsism? They don't believe that anything exists outside of their own minds...so to them, there is no sun, nor a tomorrow for there is not even an earth...problem solved. There's also all the people who will perish today and who are or will become brain dead today. Those people exist (or at least exist today), but for them, there will be no tomorrow, thus no sun to rise for them. So to all those people, that statement would be false, but for you, me, and everyone else who will live to see the new day and to perceive and experience it, it would be true. So in a broad sense, it's both, just not at the same time within everyone's mind.

I know using Metaphyical Solipsism is a little cheapo...but it's still a valid enough point.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 03:55 pm
@Chights47,
Who said I did? It's a simple daily event that can be true and false at the same time? Your explanations miss the simplicity of my question.

BTW, do you speak for everyone?
Chights47

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Who said I did? It's a simple daily event that can be true and false at the same time? Your explanations miss the simplicity of my question.

BTW, do you speak for everyone?

Looking back, I have no idea where I got the idea that you were speaking for everyone, for that I do apologize. What I really meant is to just clarify this issue. It seemed to me that you we're asking for such, for one reason or another. I know that you aren't a fool so I would assume that it's because I didn't really make myself clear, or that you were inquiring as to whether I actually knew what I was talking about. If you were asking for something else or had a different motive behing your question or statement, please inform me if you would be so kind.

As far as speaking for everyone, I believe that I can in only one instance, which is sort of a paradox. I can state that anyone can truly speak for everyone by stating that no one can truly speak for anyone.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:13 pm
@Chights47,
I can buy into that! No big deal; the issue is not one of earth shattering proportion.
0 Replies