Reasons for God...

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
To infinity and beyond Smile
Seriously though, you are asking me to communicate my understanding without using communication tools obtained from my environment.
You are arguing my point better than I.
I really can't express my personal faith very well even with those tools.
Hmm, yep, still valuable to me.
The difference between my Faith and that of others, my Faith is my own, the Faith of others is thier own.
failures art

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:31 pm
I think a more useful dichotomy is belief and knowlege. Then defining faiths a form of belief based on trust. Faiths then are unique in that they rely on an intelligent and assumingly anthropomorphic being to have trust in to begin with. Of course, trust is the foundation, since observation is not.

That said, I can understand people sayin they don't know, but they only believe in something because they want to. Faith is only a means of maintenance after that.

A
R
T
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:42 pm
@Cyracuz,
I agree entirely, I like to talk about it too, it strengthens me when I run into someone like you. The experience ( I like that term, thanks) is beyond our ability to communicate fully, in our present form. That is the basis of my earlier statement. What amazes me, though, is that when we do manage to communicate some part of our experience, we find remarkable similarity, while unique. If that makes any sense.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:49 pm
@wayne,
Why then did you write,
Quote:

My post was simple, and could be understood by a 5th grader, so I'll attribute the complete tangential gobbledygook of your response to an unwillingness to cede an obvious point.

Now, you're telling me you can't express your personal faith.

You are one confused dude!
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:03 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
What amazes me, though, is that when we do manage to communicate some part of our experience, we find remarkable similarity, while unique. If that makes any sense.

It makes sense to me. I tend to think it is because we are all part of the very same "fundamental oneness", and of this experience, the part I identify with as "me" is merely a small fraction. Within this fraction is where all the differences between us lie, but once we transcend that we are no longer separate and will experience the same because there is only this oneness of infinite/undivided reality.
But again, I rely on your experience of this in communicating these notions, because I can never communicate it fully, only give enough clues that you are reminded of your own experience, which is the same as mine once we "think past" our "selves".
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As any 5th grader would know, that post referred to a previous post, which was a statement on the personal nature of the value of Faith.
Either you're an Idiot or an Asshole. Either way, I can see that you are a waste of my time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:09 pm
@wayne,
Here you go with name-calling without addressing what I wrote. I addressed everything you wrote, and my questions grew out of your statements. Did you graduate from the 5th grade?
fresco

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:12 pm
@wayne,
What you (and the fifth graders) have yet to notice, is that what you call "yourself" is evoked by social contexts such as this thread. In essence, at any instant you ARE the contents of your consciousness which changes like the weather, and much of the time is totally absent. Occasionally a "God concept" occurs out of the mist which fleetingly bolsters your self integrity at that point, but neither that aspect of "self" nor its co-extension called "its beliefs" have anything more than a passing mutual existence.

Think about it !
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:22 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, I think it is inevitable that our experience must come together and form the whole of understanding.
I always kinda liked that Star Trek episode where the shape-shifter people all came together in a lake.
This has been interesting, in that we had a bit of trouble communicating at first, because we took different roads, but now we are at the same place.
I have always had problems with religion because it doesn't allow for the difference in experience. There are many roads, but yet, they are all one.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:36 pm
@fresco,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
If what you call yourself means human being, human doing, human passing, human becoming. Then I think I'm on track.
If you are a human being, then I suppose you are evoked by social contexts.
If you are a human becoming, then You are added to by social contexts.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry dude, I'm not going to play the manipulate the context game.
If you wanna talk straight up, will do, but if you wanna pull that crap, I'm done.
Plain and simple. This aint about winning an argument, for me.
Your choice.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 07:29 pm
@wayne,
I'm pretty straight forward with my opinions and comments about people who make claims on a2k, no matter what the subject matter. If I disagree with a statement, I will try to get clarification or a response - by talking about the subject under discussion, and not by ad hominems.

If you attack with ad hominems, I'll return it with spades.

Here's what transpired on this subject between the participants.

Quote:
Wayne

The value of ones personal faith is independent of anyone else's belief.

ci
Hardly true; religion is learned. Others must have practiced it before anyone else did.

The emotional surrender of individuals to their religion is more similar than not no matter which god they believe in.

wayne

My post was simple, and could be understood by a 5th grader, so I'll attribute the complete tangential gobbledygook of your response to an unwillingness to cede an obvious point.

ci
@wayne,
Sure. You said,
Quote:
ci
I say, bull ****!

That you need to use ad hominem to attack me rather than the subject tells me you are a child.
@wayne,
You criticized me rather than what I wrote. You wrote,
Quote:

ci
I addressed your post with my bull ****. It's because you cannot respond intelligently to what you claimed.

Your obvious point doesn't exist. Not in English, anywhos.

Wayne
Baloney, we both know it.
You simply don't want to admit it.
It doesn't suit the picture you want to paint.
Ci
What do you mean "we both know it?" You haven't delineated an explanation for your claim that
Quote:

Please show proof for this statement? There's nothing for me to admit.

Wayne
I thought it was pretty simple, guess not.
If I choose to have faith in a god, the value of that faith is entirely independent of whether or not you, or anyone else gives my faith the same value.
That has nothing to do with religion, it is about personal faith.
Monetary value is not the same, it has everything to do with society placing the same value on the symbol we call money.

Ci
You still don't understand what Cyracuz wrote.

What you deem simple is based on your own conception and interpretation of what you believe, but that's all based on what you have learned from your environment. Even the language you use to describe it.

Wayne
Sure, that's true, but that isn't the point I'm trying to make.
In the end, after the struggle seeking evidence for belief, proof for God, the decision of faith is entirely personal.
People confuse faith and belief all the time, understandably.
Faith, in the pure sense, has nothing to do with any of the knowledge gained through a human existence.

Cyracuz
Faith is merely the capacity to have beliefs.
How can the personal value of a choice you make be independent of the choice?
The definition has everything to do with faith, in this case.
Atheists define god as something impossible and then discard the notion.
Theists define it as something desirable and embrace it.
Both define it for themselves according to how they want to relate to it.

Wayne
Faith is not the capacity to have beliefs, Faith is a direction of motion.

Cyracuz
I don't understand what you mean. Faith is our power to believe. It is not a matter of choice that you have to believe some things because there are issues on which you need to take a stand and facts are nowhere to be found.

Wayne
When I use the term Faith, in a spiritual sense, I refer to the unknowable God, not the creation. Faith, in this sense, is not a destination, or an understanding, it is a direction, a willingness, a choice.

Cyracuz
Hm.. if I understand you correctly I would call that a willingness to have faith in your own intuition.
I do not agree that we are not equipped to deal with infinity. It is beyond knowledge and beyond description, but it is not beyond experience. I can experience it if I let my mind expand and my "self" dissolve into the oneness. This aspect of our existence, I am sorry to say, is discredited by most modern, "rational" thinkers, since they seem to think that the most superficial levels of conscious experience, those that can be articulated, are all that matters.

Ci
No matter how you arrived at your "conclusion," you learned it from your environment. The concept, the words you use, and all the idea you obtained from your environment. God, faith, creation, mickey mouse, church, prayer, belief, sin, are all concepts you learned before you arrived at your idea of faith. Your so-called direction of faith is similar to all religious' belief.

Otherwise, you would be able to identify what the differences are between your faith and the faith of others.

Tell us; what is your direction of faith?

Wayne
To infinity and beyond
Seriously though, you are asking me to communicate my understanding without using communication tools obtained from my environment.
You are arguing my point better than I.
I really can't express my personal faith very well even with those tools.
Hmm, yep, still valuable to me.
The difference between my Faith and that of others, my Faith is my own, the Faith of others is thier own.

Wayne
I agree entirely, I like to talk about it too, it strengthens me when I run into someone like you. The experience ( I like that term, thanks) is beyond our ability to communicate fully, in our present form. That is the basis of my earlier statement. What amazes me, though, is that when we do manage to communicate some part of our experience, we find remarkable similarity, while unique. If that makes any sense.

Cyrucuz
It makes sense to me. I tend to think it is because we are all part of the very same "fundamental oneness", and of this experience, the part I identify with as "me" is merely a small fraction. Within this fraction is where all the differences between us lie, but once we transcend that we are no longer separate and will experience the same because there is only this oneness of infinite/undivided reality.
But again, I rely on your experience of this in communicating these notions, because I can never communicate it fully, only give enough clues that you are reminded of your own experience, which is the same as mine once we "think past" our "selves".

Wayne
As any 5th grader would know, that post referred to a previous post, which was a statement on the personal nature of the value of Faith.
Either you're an Idiot or an Asshole. Either way, I can see that you are a waste of my time.

Your previous statement, “The value of ones personal faith is independent of anyone else's belief.”

ci
I still say, bull ****! (or bull pucky!) You're trying to identify the value of your personal faith as unique and independent from everybody else's. No proof, no evidence, and just your claim. You haven't proven your original statement. I understand the English language pretty good, thank you, and it's beyond the fifth grade level!
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You conveniently left out the post where I addressed the difference between relating my statement to religion and relating it to personal faith.
That's par for the course with you.
You don't even know what an ad hominem is.

Wayne
Quote:

1) My post was indeed simple enough to be understood by a fifth grader.
2) I did indeed attribute the tangential gobbledygook of your response to your unwillingness to cede a point.
No personal attack period, no ad hominem.
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it ad hominem

CI
Quote:
You're trying to identify the value of your personal faith as unique and independent from everybody else's.

The value of my personal faith is independent of anyone elses belief.

Websters; Personal; private, individual.

In context, this was in regard to the use of monetary value as an analogy for the value of personal faith.

Wayne
Quote:
That is an interesting choice of analogy. Given the fact that money is most assuredly a human construct.
Your individual belief, in the money you have in the bank, matters not one wit. It is the mutual belief, by other members of society, that gives it any value.

CI
Quote:
The same with gods

Wayne
Quote:
As far as religion is concerned, yes. But a personal faith, not at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:56 pm
@wayne,
You are confused on several points. You are the one who doesn't understand what an ad hominem is.

The generally accepted definition is,
Quote:
ad ho·mi·nem/ˈad ˈhämənəm/Adverb
1. (of an argument or reaction) Arising from or appealing to the emotions and not reason or logic.
2. Attack

Your post meets this definition.

How do you know that the value of your personal belief is independent from anybody else's? How do you determine the value of other's beliefs?

Are you always an independent thinker who is unique in how you value belief?

You still haven't shown how your personal belief is independent from everybody else's belief - whether it's money, gods, or anything else.

How does it differ? By degrees, emotive commitment, value, sacrifice, money spent, or any other adjective or adverb you wish to consider.

Krumple

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:15 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
The emotion is very fleeting and chaotic not to mention that it is conditional. It can't be unconditional yet that doesn't stop people from trying to say that it can

I am sorry to hear you say that, because it implies that you have not experienced something that is completely wonderful. Perhaps we could discuss the differences between love and the subjective need to "own" what we are inclined to have these feelings about. Many think of this obsession as love, but it is not.
And my parents have always loved me unconditionally, and I return the feeling. I love my brothers unconditionally.

You don't even see how absurd you have responded to what I said? The fact that you are sorry to hear that because it implies that i have not experienced it? Don't you see that your very response reveals that unconditional love is actually conditional? You can't even see that? It proves that there is no such thing as unconditional love. Or else you could clearly point out to me that I have because unconditional love would be unavoidable.
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your post meets this definition.

Because you say so huh?
I guess you're going to have to show me the appeal to emotions, and the attack.
My assumption that you were smarter than a fifth grader seemed reasonable to me. My reference to your post as tangential gobbledygook isn't an attack.
A barbed response, that you didn't like, is not ad hominem.

Quote:
How do you know that the value of your personal belief is independent from anybody else's? How do you determine the value of other's beliefs?

Are you always an independent thinker who is unique in how you value belief?

You still haven't shown how your personal belief is independent from everybody else's belief - whether it's money, gods, or anything else.

How does it differ? By degrees, emotive commitment, value, sacrifice, money spent, or any other adjective or adverb you wish to consider.

Now you are just being obtuse. (IMO)
Small claims courts have long held that personal value is unique.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:27 pm
@wayne,
We're not discussing the court system. Surprise!

We're discussing "your value concerning your belief system." You say it's independent from all others, but you have failed to show how.
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't have to, that's the best part of a personal belief, it doesn't matter what you think or believe, doesn't change the value of my belief one bit.

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:23 pm
@Cyracuz,
I gave some thought to your post about experiencing infinity. I have to agree that we are experiencing infinity. Even our finite state is a part of infinity, we can't help but experience it, it extends from our self into every dimension.
Our experience is limited though, could it be life is the force limiting our experience?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:35 pm
@wayne,
True. It only becomes a problem when you try to involve others in your belief of anything.

If you had said,
Quote:
The value of ones personal faith is independent.
and ended there, there would no question or confusion.

But,
Quote:
, you open up a whole can of worms.