blood group changed

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:03 am
Hello ,

I am Shwetha . A Biotech student. Am 21 yrs old. my blood group was O+ as per the blood tests that were done for more than 15 to 18 times from the day of birth till 18 yrs of age. Even i had conducted the test myself in college. But astonishingly when i went forward to give blood, it was A+ after marriage.. i said it s not. and they laughed at me and checked in front of me, since i could make out too. and it was A+.. everyone laughed like anything saying it can never change in lifetime and the previous test would be wrong.. I mentioned about plenty of tests,not just one or three and test conducted by my professors .. and said that not all and all tests can go wrong from birth. And i was sure about that.. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT EXACTLY HAS HAPPENED AND HOW IS THIS MUTATION CAUSED.. and let me tell you even my father has the same case and hundreds of reports with him for the tests during O and A.. my husband too is O+. both were O+ when tested while recently married.. my mother was O+.. and i was thinking in my college days by repeating my and my mom s blood tests for the reason that O+ is recessive[my mom s is O+] and My dad has A+ and its obvious that i had to get the dominating A+.. but now I am A+... Am seriously worried that Why people are not believing this case and laughing at me.. please revert back as soon as possible..

Regards,
Shwetha Sangam

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:04 am
It's possible that you carry a weak subgroup of A inherited from your father. Most people who type as group A are subtype A1. There are also many weaker subgroups of A, including A2... A6 and Ax. If you and your father are subtype Ax then it's possible that the expression of the A gene is so weak that it sometimes fails to react with the anti-A typing serum. Many people with weak expressions of A will form anti-A1 antibodies thereby back typing (sometimes called reverse typing) as type O.

The way to determine your true type is to test your red blood cells with subgroup antiserum and to test your serum or plasma with A1, A2, and B cells. If you react with the A1 and B cells, but not the A2 cells then it's likely that you are a weak subgroup of A with an anti-A1.

What's most important in this case is that you receive type O blood if you ever need a transfusion. It's too difficult to find compatible subgroup A blood for transfusion and the presence of the anti-A1 antibody would react with the A antigens on a type A transfusion.
shwethasangam

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 10:02 pm
@JPB,
thank you.. Just let me know will it be of any problem anytime..
0 Replies