Jury convicts mom who withheld cancer meds

lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:57 pm
@Mame,
Lol. yes attack me because that supports your case.
My personal life is of no relation to the case, although you bringing it up does say something about you.

Parents in general should have the right to provide parenting over their children which should be taken in its broad sense to mean that they have the right to seek out the best interest of that child without interference by the government.
we do not prosecute in the case of self defense because humans have a natural instinct to preserve their own life most creatures do. The same with the motherly instinct most mothers feel the need to protect their children and provide in their best interest. the ones that dont, are an anomaly and as i said before carrying those genes to dispurse further into the gene pool is a mistake that corrects itself ie crazy mother slays child.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:57 pm
@Mame,
Actually instinctive for a mother would be to protect a child's life by any means necessary.

This mom did not do this instinctively. A mom's instinct is to protect their babies.

But like mame said not all moms have this instinct.
lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:59 pm
@Linkat,
maybe something was lost but I agreed in my first post that not all mothers have this instinct. and by killing their children we elininate those anomolys from our gene pool.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:01 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Now that is twisted eliminating children to improve the gene pool...
sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:07 pm
@Linkat,
Well it sounds like she thought that the cancer medications were horrible themselves. I don't get the feeling that she wanted him gone -- she went through the first several phases of cancer treatment and then gave up at the very end.

From JPB's article:

Quote:
LaBrie, testifying in her own defense, told the jury that she followed the instructions from her son's doctors for the first four phases of treatment but stopped giving her son the medications during the final phase because she "didn't want to make him any sicker."

LaBrie said she told her son's doctor two or three times that she was afraid that "he just had had it."

"He was just not capable of getting through any more chemotherapy," LaBrie said. "I really felt that it could out-villainize the disease — the medicine could — because he was very, very fragile."

She was definitely irresponsible to make that decision unilaterally, though, without speaking to her doctors about it. And the fact that she didn't suggests that she knew they would say she should continue.

It sounds pretty possible that if she'd pushed through he would have survived. That's the key point to me I think. This disease has a good survival rate with medication but not 100%, and she stopped the medications two years into the whole thing. So what were his chances of survival at that point? If they were still high, I definitely think there should be some sort of consequence, though attempted murder doesn't really fit the bill.

Edit: and if his survival chances were very low at the point that she decided to stop giving him medication, I still think the unilateral decision should get some sort of consequence, but lower yet.
0 Replies

lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:07 pm
@Linkat,
Not personally, I would never do it
but if a parent doesnt have the good sense to protect their child and they choose to take that childs life then so be it...
I would never take my daughters life but at the same time I would gladly go to jail for beating her ass in public if she chose to mouth off, throw a fit, steal, etc.

that is not to say that i think it is right that i would be imprisoned for disciplining my daughter. yet the gov. has already declared what is appropriate punishment (which is also wrong) yes this situation sucks but brought down to the basic issue, parents rights should not be infringed upon.
(which I realize is not the legal standpoint of our nation) I just think it should be.
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:13 pm
@lockeWiggins,
You would "beat your daughter's ass in public" if she mouthed off? Threw a fit? Stole? and what, pray tell, is 'etc.'? Kissed a boy in public? Wore a short skirt? Those are the parents' rights that you think should not be infringed upon?

WOW. WOW. WOW.

It's really too bad you're a parent. You scare me.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:15 pm
@Mame,
You missed a big one - being allowed to take your child's life.

Quote:
but if a parent doesnt have the good sense to protect their child and they choose to take that childs life then so be it...

beating a child's nothing
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:17 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, I already covered that but he chose not to respond. This guy is really something else.
0 Replies

lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:21 pm
@Mame,
Lol of course throw words in my mouth because thats what I said... but its ok ill own to what you say i said.

Yes if it is my belief that she should not be kissing boys, wearing short skirts or even walking outside without a male by her side if that is how i choose to raise my daughter it is not you nor the gov. job to decide whether or not i can or can not. Those are the rights that should not be infringed upon, oh and believe me my daughter is the most beautiful intelligent woman that has ever been born into the world, and she loves me like i love her and she respects me. It is bleeding hearts like you that are the reason that parents are so afraid to discipline their children that america is filled with the brats of present. And if you dont have children which Im guessing you dont or else you would understand, then one day you will understand my point.
lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:23 pm
@Linkat,
I dont understand whats being questioned.

what about being able to take your own childs life?
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:25 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Its kinda against the law to kill another human being whether this human being is related to you or not.

lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:32 pm
@Linkat,
lol. yes it is. but we are debating whether the legal regulations are moral.
such as parents cant keep their kids out of school
parents can only hit their child with open hands
and such.

I think parental rights should be unlimited, allowing parents to discipline their children as they see fit (and in extreme cases take that childs life if they feel it necessary.)
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:40 pm
@lockeWiggins,
What about kids killing their parents? I think then that should be allowed. And often that is the better solution.

And no I don't think parents should be able to kill their children. They are human beings and should have the right to life.

I am a firm believer in Thou shall not kill.
boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:42 pm
@lockeWiggins,
Hitting, beating and murdering are not discipline, they're punishment.

You better hope like hell that your old and frail and your daughter is young and strong that she hasn't absorbed your "morals" about how to treat someone who is weaker.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:46 pm
@boomerang,
That logic makes sense. So in other words when you get old and start losing your senses, similar to young a child that needs guidance and assistance, the roles are reversed. So then the child can decided to kill, maim or beat the elderly parent. Especially seeing the elderly parent is most likely a drain financially on society and serves no potential future purpose.

Sounds fair.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:47 pm
@boomerang,
I'm figuring Mr. Wiggins as a philosophic poser, or that is my hope.
lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:51 pm
@Linkat,
Wow im not about to get into a debate over the flaws in the religion you just quoted because I doubt even you know what you just did.

I am not saying that killing is good.... yes you should not kill your child. But if you do I believe that it is your buisness.... and if my parenting is so misguided that my daughter decides to take my life when she becomes stronger than me then so be it.

My job is to provide a functioning adult to society one thats strong enough to withstand the pressures and punches from the world, which does not hit with open hand.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Defination of philosophic poser: insane/a few tools short/loco/soft as a grape
0 Replies

lockeWiggins

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
If you have an opinion as to the subject I would love to hear it but your attemts to tempt me into turning this post into something useless with name calling will not be answered

if you have input that is helpfull and has the chance to help sway opinion please give it.