What Do You Do During the Commercial Breaks?

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 04:41 am
If you add up the all the time taken by commercial breaks I'm sure a hell of a lot could be achieved
smooch, read, scratch, sometimes we converse.

what do you do?

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 04:52 am
Sometimes I go to the bathroom. Other times, I just sort of daydream. Once in awhile, I go on A2K. I seldom really "watch" the commercials. The exceptions are Geico and Aflac. I love the gecko and the duck. I can't wait until Aflac gets another actor to play the voice of the duck. BTW, I am not a customer of either company.

I find that when someone makes a reference to a popular commercial, I seldom know what they are talking about, although I have probably been near the TV when the ad was played.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 04:57 am
@dadpad,
i watch almost no commercial tv, basically the 1/2 hour nightly news, a few weeks ago i was watching a movie on tv and just about went insane because of the commercials, having already watched some of the same films in the same series (the BBC Miss Marple mysteries) in an alternate manner, i'm like,come on, this thing should only take an hour 26, i don't want to buy your car, donut, air freshener, feminine hygiene product, erectile dysfunction pill, i want to watch the film
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 04:59 am
There are now so many commercials I either hit mute and read or I channel surf. I don't get many channels because I don't have cable, so I have a rule that if I turn on the TV and every channel is showing a commercial it means the gods want me to do other things and I turn the TV off.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 05:01 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

If you add up the all the time taken by commercial breaks I'm sure a hell of a lot could be achieved
smooch, read, scratch, sometimes we converse.

what do you do?

Think...get up and do stuff, often never returning to the TV, make phone calls, wander onto here, clean stuff, put stuff away, put stuff in the washing machine, cook......
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 05:22 am
Ah yes the channel surf. I do that as well. I often attempt to watch two programs at once. During football season I will watch the football during commercial breaks on anther program.
We dont have cable all out TV is free to air.
ever notice how there are more commercial breaks in the latter half of a really good movie? drives you insane. They think they have you sucked in and you arnt gonna change channels.
Sometimes I get on A2k.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:11 am
@dadpad,
I have a laptop bythe couach in the room with the big tv so I dont see commercials.
Trying to watch 2 shows on cable is difficult since the cable peddlers have synchronized their commercials to play at exactly the same time no matter what channel. Only different "station packages" have different comercials and most of those are stations I dont care to watch (sports talk on TV come-on)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:39 am
I usually channel surf unless there's a commercial I like. There's one I like.

Getting up off the couch is a major production, so I get up only if I have to go to the bathroom.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:42 am
I don't watch much TV, and then only shows wally recorded. He fast forwards past the commercials.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 07:07 am
@dadpad,
While I'm watching TV I keep my hi-fi on. So I mute the TV and switch on the music. Mostly I listen to jazz or some classical. The hi-fi is really a nice sounding one so I smile alot while the music plays while that Aflac duck makes that awful racket.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 07:07 am
Ah, the magic of the DVD-Recorder and time shifting.
Record the show.
Punch it up at your convenience.
and now....the real magic....
the little > button.
Press it when the commercial comes on and the video races forward 30 seconds.
Press four times during the two minutes onslaught.
Joe("We now return you to the actual program.")Nation
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 07:42 am
@dadpad,
If I'm watching "live" TV, I do crosswords. Very Happy
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 07:50 am
I am recording more now, so I can f-f through the commercials.

But if I am watching live, I put in a wash, fold clothes, read magazines, etc.

I get prepared, so there is always something else I can do during this wasted time.

But I am amazed at the number of people who do watch those commercials and can recount every line. They do pay attention to every detail in these ads!

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 07:58 am
@dadpad,
Change channels, visit the kitchen, visit the bath, read the mail, make a phone call, put the trash out, file my nails...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 08:10 am
I'm embarressed.

I'm the only one who admits to smooching in the ad breaks.

Cmon surely not.
Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 08:16 am
@dadpad,
Well with kids in the room - I'd be worried smooching would go too far - I am usually doing other stuff while watching TV so during the commercials I tend to do things that bring me out of the room - for example if I've been folding clothes, I will go put them away while the commercial is going on.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:21 am
@Linkat,
Same here! For me, TV is more in the background and I tend to other things
during commercial breaks. Did you notice that just about 80 % of all commercials revolve around food? No wonder our nation is one of the heaviest ever! The food commercials are so enticing and mouth watering, it's really hard to restrain yourself and not run to the kitchen...
Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:25 am
@CalamityJane,
I'll have to take a lookie - never noticed that about most being about food. I will do an informal survey this week.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:37 pm
We''ll be right back after a word from our sponsors.

....and the volume. I have to turn the volume down cause they are so loud.

Even good old Aunt ABC (government sponsored channel no commercials) has too many station Id breaks and programming promotions.

hingehead

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:11 pm
@dadpad,
THe volume change drives me insane too.

I do little chores like a load of washing, feed the fur kids, check out the web, unpack something, fold, iron, put chlorine in the pool, take out some rubbish, catalogue a song, catch up on my tweets on what I was watching (#qanda), maybe look up on IMDB a bit part actor that looked familiar from something I saw 20 years before (I'm almost always right), big channel surfer if I'm spoiling myself (got Austar +FTA and FTA digital so I can go ADD on my own ass).

Think Mrs Hinge would get resentful if she thought I was squeezing smooching in just because there was an ad break - and I'd never see the end of the show. How does one say 'Stop now the show is back on without having to sleep on the couch with black eye?
0 Replies