My puppy pees on the floor at night

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 08:48 am
I have a Basset Hound puppy. She is 10 1/2 months old. She was completely house broken. She sleeps in bed with us in our room. Now, she is able to get down off of the bed and jump back up into bed. She has been peeing on the floor in my bedroom. She will sometimes pee more than once. I do not know why she is doing this.
Could it be the new baby?
Could it be marking her territory?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 8,605 • Replies: 44

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
@smarshall110,
Hello smarshall110,
it can be a number of reason and the first one I'd address is going to the veterinarian and having her checked for any urinary infections. If she's healthy, then perhaps she needs to go out sooner in the morning. When is her last walk in the evening and at what time does she get out in the morning?
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:46 am
@smarshall110,
You may want to crate train her. She is less likely to pee in the spot she sleeps in.

Then after a good period of time - she will have developed a habit of not peeing at night.
smarshall110

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:10 am
@CalamityJane,
We will take her around 9pm or so. Then I let her out when I get out of the shower at 5am. She is in a crate from 6am - 5pm and does not have any accidents.
0 Replies

smarshall110

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:11 am
@Linkat,
She is in a crate all day. She goes in there at 6am and is let out at 5pm. She does not go in her crate. She only pees in the bedroom at night.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:18 am
@smarshall110,
I don't mean to be critical, but it seems cruel to have a dog in a crate all day. The dog needs to get out and exercise and play. At night a dog is sleeping so it isn't necessary for the room to run and play. Of course the dog isn't peeing during the day because he is in his crate - the reason why I said to crate the dog at night.

Is there a room you could keep the dog closed in during the day? So he can have room to move around a bit more in until he is old enough to trust going the day without peeing in the house. Even a bathroom would be better. Or maybe a kitchen with a child gate.

When I was at an animal shelter - a couple wanted to adopt this greyhound. I was waiting to speak to them as I was adopting a cat. The worker let them that was a former racer so he isn't house broken so someone would need to be home with him until he is house broken. They said that's ok we intend to crate him during day. Her response - you cannot crate a dog all day - and they refused to allow them to adopt the dog.

Just letting you know for your pets best interest.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:24 am
@smarshall110,
In crate training the dog is in a crate during any unsupervised (not directly looking at dog) hours, and let out frequently and taken to the bathroom.

Yes, the dog doesn't go while in the crate, but this isn't the point of the training, the point of the training is to take the dog to the bathroom after letting the need build up. Once the dog has established a habit of using the bathroom the dog is less likely to do it elsewhere.

So if you want to stop it do this:

1) Any time you are not watching the dog as your primary activity, put the dog in the crate.

2) Let the dog out of the crate every few hours, if the dog urinates where it shouldn't scold the dog (only if you see it happen, if you catch it even a minute later it's too late), if the dog urinates where they should (and you can help by taking the dog there) praise the dog.

3) Repeat first two steps till dog is trained.

Of course there can be a lot of other reasons that are helping cause your dog to do this. Your dog could be scared of leaving the room, or dislike the dark. Your dog may need walks, so it can mark territory that you don't mind it marking. It can be a lot of different things. But if you are going to crate train the dog the above is the basics on how to do it, and the idea is for it not to last much than days (i.e. keeping your dog in a crate during the day is not crate training, it's just keeping your dog in a crate during the day).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:12 pm
@smarshall110,
I thought this said "My hubby pees on the floor at night"!
Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:20 pm
@Mame,
Clearly hubby's marking his territory. Try hiding his beer after dinner hours.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:28 pm
@smarshall110,
I am sorry, but having a puppy crated for 11 hours is animal cruelty.
It sickens me to hear that. It took a while to get our dog housebroken as she came from a shelter, but I left her in the kitchen for several hours when I was gone, never
in a crate.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
absolutely
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 08:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Why would anyone have a dog around if it's going to be in a crate for so much of the day?
I don't get it.
Dogs are sociable, energetic creatures. They need to play & to move around. They need lots of exercise. They need lots of interaction with their owners.
Maybe your pup is distressed by such long periods of confinement?
That may be part of the the reason it's peeing on the floor?
saab

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 02:15 am
I usually do not answer animal topics, but I have to agree on that having a dog in a crate all day is physical and mental cruelty.
On top of it comes the psychological cruelty - from one extreem to the other.
Sleeping in the bed at night with all kinds of good feelings and then being alone in a crate all day.
The way you treat your dog you should be happy he does not pee in your bed and sleep on the floor.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:19 am
@msolga,
I was wondering that as well - the puppy could be peeing to get attention.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 12:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
I would add the caveat that if the dog is crated for training (measured in days, not weeks) that is is not cruel. I think it's cruel to leave a dog in a crate every time you go to work as a way for the dog to live, but crating a dog overnight, for example, as part of crate training isn't cruel, it's one of the best ways to housebreak a dog (and thusly eliminate the need for crating later).
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 01:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes at night - while it is for the most part sleeping - and obviously a large enough crate so he can get up and move around a bit.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
At night, yes! Didn't you read her post, she crates the dog from 6:00 am to
5:00 pm while she's at work. I don't care what anyone says, it's animal
cruelty, especially when the dog is so young.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 05:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
I did read the post, and even if she is crating during the day, if it is for temporary training purposes I don't think it is cruel. Of course if that is how the dog has to live out its life that might be but even if it's during the day for 11 hours I think it's not cruel as long as it's part of a short-term training program (even if done during the day).

If putting a dog in a crate for 11 hours is always cruel no matter what, then that is a pretty powerful indictment of dog ownership. IMO if done right it would be a few rough days (a week at most) for the pup while being able to then afford it much more freedom (when housebroken).
smarshall110

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:13 pm
@Linkat,
We used to keep her in our bathroom. She completely tore up my bathroom! The cratenwe put her in is double then size of the recommended crate for a dog her size. She has plenty of room to move
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 06:16 pm
@smarshall110,
Hi smarshall.

What training have you done with your dog? not just housebreaking, but general training.
0 Replies