What kind of frypan do You prefer?

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:44 am
I' d like to buy new one, but actually I do not know which one...

plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:18 am
@JTompson,
If you are not flush with cash, go to the local hardware store and buy cast iron. Warning: you must season it properly and learn how to use it. Also, they are heavy.

For convenience and ease of use, there is stainless steel. Today's stainless comes with either a "sandwich bottom" which consists of a plate with layers of nickel and/or copper to increase heat conductivity or is wholly made in the sandwich style. If you can afford the best, buy All-Clad stainless steel. If money is tight, Cuisinart offers the best of the medium-priced cookware and is a good compromise between worthless cheap stuff from the supermarket and the high end brands like All-Clad and Wolf.

Avoid non-stick pans. My advice to people who think non-stick pans are easy care is to learn to cook. Non-stick pans should never be put in the dishwasher although Calphalon claims their latest line is dish-washer safe. I do not trust that statement and dislike Calphalon. Aluminum should never be put in the dishwasher and Calphalon built its line on hard-anodized aluminum.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:24 am
@plainoldme,
Ditto.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:25 am
@Green Witch,
Very Happy
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:36 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I do not trust that statement and dislike Calphalon.

I have never used that brand. What do you dislike about it?

I want to buy one non-stick small-medium size frying pan. There are times I find that useful to have. My other pans, mostly larger, are not coated. Which of the non-stick brands are the best?

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:52 am
I prefer the one with the sausages in it . . .
JPB

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:54 am
@Setanta,
mmmmmmmmmmmmm, sausages!

Got any eggs to go with that pork?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:58 am
@firefly,
I bought two pieces of Calphalon Hard-Anodized aluminum (they also make stainless steel) cookware in its early days. I found them vulnerable to pitting, difficult to clean as many methods of cleaning them were incompatible with the aluminum as it was initially made and rather easy to de-anondize (turn white, generally accomplished by leaving water in the pan for extended periods of time).

Since then, the company has changed its product several times. Today's may be better, but, I have been reluctant to try it. I won a few pieces when I worked at Williams-Sonoma, but, that was also long ago. I gave them all away.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:19 am
@JPB,
Now yer makin' me real hungry . . .
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:43 am
@JTompson,
I love cast iron. My mother has two of the most glorious frying pans I’ve ever seen or used. My favourite one is about six inches (that could be a sig line). They’ve been part of my consciousness (No, yes. Really) for all my life, and I covet them.

Green Witch

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:18 am
@Joeblow,
My cast irons are close to 80 years old with a beautiful patina from years of proper care and good cooking. Make sure your mom leaves them to you when her cooking days are over.
Joeblow

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:25 am
@Green Witch,
80 years and going strong no doubt in my mind. I may have to arm wrestle my sister and at least one of my brother's to get 'em.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:39 am
@Joeblow,
I bought mine in the seventies in an army navy "store", really a metal quonset hut that was ill lit and run by an apparent curmudgeon. Wish I'd bought more items (like the pancake 'griddle' that fit over two burners). Oh, well. Meantime, I still use the ones I bought.
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:02 am
@ossobuco,
Amazingly, I had the same thing happen...purchased a cast iron skillet from an Army-Navy store. Hey, BTW, where'd those stores all go off to?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:12 am
cast iron, when your done cooking, walk over to the creek then use a handfull of creek water with creek sand,scrub clean as clean can be (twigs man be used)
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 12:00 pm
@dyslexia,
yeah...reminds me of all of those camping trips in the mountains. Plus making scrambled eggs ... tossing in some ham..or some freshly-caught trout or perch or maybe slow squirrel? good eats, huh?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 02:31 pm
@Ragman,
It is a shame they disappeared. My sons got some great bargains . . . and fun items from them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:25 pm
@firefly,
For what it's worth, Consumer Reports dislikes Calphalon as well as Cusine Art. They love Kirtland Signature, which is the Costco house brand. Regretfully, Kirtland Signature is only sold by the set. I got the set and like it, but the stock pot was so huge I couldn't think of anything to do with it except boil a whole goat. I gave to ossobuco. I don't know what she does with it. I don't think she keeps goats.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:30 pm
@roger,
I use it for soups. Too small, hah, for a good spaghetti pan, unless it is fusilli, for example; not entirely, as you just have to keep stirring to make sure the pasta settles under the water and this can be done with patience with ordinary spaghetti.

I still like it, very happy with it.
I have no goats.
Only goatheads.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Goatheads are better. The whole goat probably wouldn't leave room for anything else.