littlek

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:50 pm
@dyslexia,
Almost blooming is almost as good as blooming. Full of potential. Our chionodoxa bulbs are only just starting to pop open. Forsythia decided to wait until the snow melted away - which it hasn't done yet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:08 am
@dyslexia,
You had a go at the audible books?

While you are watching the blooming?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:09 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

read it, 35 years ago. Huxley wrote it about his experimental use of peyote while living with D.H. Lawrence in Taos New Mexio.

It might have changed.

I didn't know Huxley and Lawrence were friends.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:01 am
Good morning, Dys!

I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway. It's not so much what happens as how we decide to take it.*

If you look at this as a bad thing, it'll drag you down. But if you look at it as help and comfort (and God knows I'm all for comfort!), it will give you hope.

I've decided it's going to be a gorgeous day here today. I hope you choose the same in Albaturkey.

Much love.

*I'm printing this off for myself as well.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:38 am
@Eva,
I'm with Eva on this one. Any and all help offered should be considered.

There's still snow in my yard, but it's sunny and there are a couple of crocuses up. I hope your garden colours up soon.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:50 am
the only experience i have with hospice, is listening (via the internet) to a hospice doctor who hosts an uncensored medical show on Sirius/XM

he seems like a really good guy and is certainly passionate about his field

though being an uncensored show, most of the questions seem to deal with bowels and balls, pretty funny at times

his disclaimer is a drop of a comment from a friend and fellow radio host "never take advice from some asshole on the radio", if only every self help person had the nerve to use the same comment
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 11:16 am
yesterday, all in all, a good day. Lady Diane went with her friends Pat and Ann out to lunch at a vegetarian cafe. None of them are vegetarians, they just went there because it's a quiet place where they could spend hours just chatting, which they did. I, of course, gave Lady Diane **** about "vegetarian" places all being elitist new-age PETA wackos, she just told me to shut the **** up and eat the tofu soup she brought home for me. Anyway, Diane's friend Pat, a retired teacher now owns a new age bookstore where one can buy the latest Deepak Chopra. The thing is Pats husband Jack is about my age and a retired rancher and they live on a small farm. Jack had, about the same time that I had, a massive stroke so as Pat leaves in the morning to open her book store, Jack takes his morning meds, makes his tea, lets the chickens out of the coop to range the range; he makes sure the 2 steers have water then takes his tea to the front porch where Pat finds him still drinking his tea when Pat comes home after closing the bookstore for the day. Jack stays that busy every day, I don't know where he gets the energy. I'm hoping Pat and Diane get out to lunch more often this year, it's good for both of them to get away from their cranky old men.
littlek

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 11:56 am
@dyslexia,
Can you arrange to go sit with the rancher on his porch to drink tea sometimes?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:05 pm
@littlek,
damn good idea K (not sure Jack would put up with me) anyway I guess my point was that Jack (an old time rancher and all that goes with it) and Pat (a retired teacher, spiritualist new ager) just celebrated their 50th anniversary. I think that's important.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:53 pm
Like so many other couples that have been married for so long, Pat and Jack have learned to put up with each other, making the love they have for each other more enduring.

Jack and Dys are two lovable old goats who are flexible to understand the needs of their spouses. Guess that's what makes them so loveable, which outweighs the old goatishness...

As for me, I love vegetarian food, just not all the time. Give me a good burger smothered in green chili or a steak medium rare, just once in a while.
Francis

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:57 pm
@Diane,
Just remember that goat is an acronym for Greatest of all times..
Diane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 01:25 pm
@Francis,
Francis, then my use of goat was perfect!! Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 01:26 pm
@dyslexia,
Just consider yourself it was tofu soup. She could have brought you back an order of mulch. Organic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:17 pm
The front entrance to our house has an iron gate across and up to the roof. This gate is about 12 feet from the front door and I suppose is meant to deter potential burglars as it has a regular key lock which we've never used, not sure we even have a key for it. Anyway, I walked out the garage and around to this gate and in the center of the gate door was a sign that read
"warning: leper inside"
and that's the outfit I'm wearing today pard,
what's your outfit today?
Diane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:19 pm
@dyslexia,
Hey, I thought it was camouflage.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:59 pm
@dyslexia,
Does it keep the missionaries away?
littlek

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:22 pm
@roger,
I'm guessing it keeps EVERYONE away.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:38 pm
@dyslexia,
Hospice is very often a long term care option and its defined as anything that could be over 90 days duration. It only has a reputation because its been used as a care mwechanism for terminal cancer and alzheimers patients. In your case its a matter of convenience for you and Diane.
I think, from a recuperative basis, it can help also.
ANYWAY, most doctors are real douche bags anyway.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 06:47 pm
@dyslexia,
So all is well in ABQ then....
Like farmerman, I also think that a hospice worker would do both of you good. They take care of the house, do grocery shopping, cook, laundry and whatever else is needed. They make your life easier and they make your tea and keep you company, dys, while Diane is scouting out vegetarian restaurants Wink
Just take the helping hand and go with the flow!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:59 pm
@dyslexia,
dys, It's not easy being a cranky old man, but you're damn good at it. I'm working on it too, but, as we both know, I am limited by a much sweeter disposition than yours.

Life provides us all with these periodic jolts of mortality - unfortunately practice doesn't make it any better.

Good advice here from farmerman (he's cranky too) and from Calamity (who isn't), and from others too. But it appears that you understand too.