How many grams of fat and how many carbs can I eat a day?

Juno1

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
I'm trying to lose about 3 pounds per week.I am female,30 years of age and weigh 205. I am eating 1000 calories a day. How much fat and how many carbs should I be eating to lose weight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,382 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:43 pm
@Juno1,
To find out exactly how many kilojoules your body burns to maintain its current weight you need to find your basal metabolic rate (BMR). This is quite a complicated scientific calculation factoring in your age, height and weight. Free BMR calculators are available on the internet.

Once you have a figure from one of these calculators, deduct 2,000kJ or 500 calories to give you the amount of energy to consume for weight loss.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:47 pm
the best way to lose weight fast is to just eat veggies, fruits , nuts and some fish.
nothing more.

real foods clear out of your body FAST, your body drops weight quickly because of the quality of calorie you are eating not the content.
No pills needed. No additives and no real need to watch your calories / fat

i lost the most weight when I ate about 3000 calories a day of nothing but fruits, nuts and a few veggies. 3 pounds a week was average...and very easy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:49 pm
@Juno1,
I'm pretty sure that if you hang in with 1000 calories per day, you'll get really good results.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:55 pm
How many grams of fat and how many carbs can I eat a day?

awww, i thought this was gonna be some kind of contest
0 Replies

Juno1

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:59 pm
@dadpad,
My BMR is 1720.65. I am also currently taking Phentermine prescribed by a doctor. But I am eating 3 meals a day and at least one snack. No fast food,red meat,fried anything. Whole grains,chicken,fish,veggies,eggs,fruit and sometimes Lean Cuisine or Luna bars. I treadmill or walk out side for about 1 to 1 and half hours a day,cut up into diff. times (like walking the dog).
Irishk

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:08 pm
@Juno1,
What is your goal weight? 1000 calories a day sounds too low to be sustainable if you're exercising.
Juno1

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
@Irishk,
140 is my goal. I'm just walking about 15 minutes each time and about 4 times a day with the dog.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:15 pm
@Juno1,
Juno1 wrote:

140 is my goal. I'm just walking about 15 minutes each time and about 4 times a day with the dog.

I've had a lot of success with tiny bursts of activity directly following a meal. You might laugh but I saw an episode of Dr. Oz where they talked about it.

Basically, about 30-45 minutes after a meal, I do 2 minutes of air squats or jumping jacks. That's about it. Apparently - at least according to the nutritionist on that show - it causes your muscles to start hungrily sucking up energy, instead of it turning to fat.

I haven't changed anything else about my routine but am about 5-8 pounds off over the last 2 months, so you may want to check it out.

Cycloptichorn
dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:21 pm
@Juno1,
You might be intersted in this thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/120307-168
If you wish to lose weight I would suggest a more active and varied style of excercise, however it has to be enjoyable for you.
Ride a bike, run or swim if you are comfortable with that. dance classes can be good. Zumba seems to be the rage at the moment.
0 Replies

Juno1

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I use to eat probably close to 3000 calories a day and mostly from fast food or processed food. I know I know *gasp*. Along with never working out. So this is a BIG change to say the least. I just know I get discouraged quickly and I want the best and of course the fastest results.But I am also trying to be realistic.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:27 pm
@Juno1,
Juno1 wrote:

I use to eat probably close to 3000 calories a day and mostly from fast food or processed food. I know I know *gasp*. Along with never working out. So this is a BIG change to say the least. I just know I get discouraged quickly and I want the best and of course the fastest results.But I am also trying to be realistic.

Yeah. I'm pretty athletic and already have a diet and workout routine, so I was surprised that just this tiny little bit of extra effort actually led to good results.

The weight loss was always secondary to me, over the feeling that I had about myself. I feel good when I know I'm doing good for my body. That helps me get through the times when I don't see any quick weight loss.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 06:38 am
You really shouldn't eat less than a thousand calories/day. First off, it's just not sustainable and you are in this for a long haul so you need to be doing things that you can keep doing over time. Plus, you will hit starvation mode and the weight loss -- once water weight is out -- will stop.

The type of foods you eat does matter, and cutting down on the processing is helpful -- mainly in the context of salt. There is a huge amount of salt in processed foods. Check your Lean Cuisine labels and you will get an eyeful. I recognize that cooking all the time is not always in the cards but get yourself a slow cooker and you'll be better able to make more of your own foods, rather than relying on Lean Cuisine.

There's a million other things that can help -- go to www.sparkpeople.com (I have zero ownership interest in that site, just love them) and see what they have to offer. I suspect you should be doing some strength training.

I know about long-term weight loss because I am in the midst of it. It is not easy, but you can do it.
0 Replies