Kids website - Fantage

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 09:26 am
Anyone familar with this website? It is a vitual world geared towards 8 - 14 or so.

Unfortunately my kids are now addicted to it. I checked into stuff before allowing them to permission to chat. It is monitored with a filter so they can chat with other kids. What I like about it - no ads. What I don't like the friend and de-friending and well actually the normal crap kids go through with real friends.

I am not a fan of this website - but don't see anything on the surface that is harmful in it. And I frequently watch them while they chat and play games. I also discuss specific rules around the use. Any thoughts on how to wean them off? Or any other key points or suggestions as they get more exposed on stuff like this.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,640 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 09:31 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Anyone familar with this website? It is a vitual world geared towards 8 - 14 or so.

Unfortunately my kids are now addicted to it. I checked into stuff before allowing them to permission to chat. It is monitored with a filter so they can chat with other kids. What I like about it - no ads. What I don't like the friend and de-friending and well actually the normal crap kids go through with real friends.

I am not a fan of this website - but don't see anything on the surface that is harmful in it. And I frequently watch them while they chat and play games. I also discuss specific rules around the use. Any thoughts on how to wean them off? Or any other key points or suggestions as they get more exposed on stuff like this.

Well, are you looking to wean them off of games completely, or partially, or just this particular site?

It doesn't seem dissimilar to the various game addictions I had as a child, really.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 11:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
After thinking about it, I think the warm weather will help - as it warms up they want to go outside.

In particular, though, this website. They want to be on it all the time. It seems addictive almost. And there isn't much "good" in it. In other words the games have no educational or other benefit - there are "fashion shows" and crap like that. You make friends and try to popular with the other members. Basically it seems to enforce the wrong sorts of values.

Fortunately between school, sports and studying it isn't like the are on for several hours. I just notice how much they want to be on it - and although the listen, when I tell them to get off, they really really don't want to.

I do hope this is one of those things they get bored with after a while. I try to avoid banning something simply because I don't like it as I figure this makes them want it all the more. Like when they loved Bratz dolls - now I managed to throw them all away as they don't even care for them any more.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
In a corporate environment, I could configure things so that they get a painfully slow connection to that one website....
sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm
@DrewDad,
Ha!

We went through something similar with the iPod touch, in general (no specific site). Sozlet doesn't have a DS or a Wii or anything, and is over Webkinz and most other web-based stuff (she does really like Physics Games, but not to that addictive MUST DO level). But when we got the iPod (one that the whole family shares), she went through a series of addictions -- Angry Birds, Civ Rev, Doodle Jump, etc.

So I started limiting how much she could use it because I didn't like how she'd come home from school and make a beeline for it. Also she would get so completely engrossed that it caused problems. Like, usually she has a snack when she comes home from school -- when she'd make a beeline she both wouldn't have a snack and wouldn't pay attention to her hunger level until it could no longer be ignored, and then she'd emerge from the iPod after an hour or whatever not only hungry but ABSOLUTELY STARVING TO DEATH, with attendant drama.

Anyway, the limiting worked, and now she still uses it occasionally but the whole thing is much less intense.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 12:19 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

In particular, though, this website. They want to be on it all the time. It seems addictive almost.

It doesn't SEEM addictive - it IS addictive. I don't mean that as some sort of scary statement, just a reflection as to my own experiences with such things.

Video games in large part - at least for me - represented a level of intellectual challenge that was missing from pretty much every other area of my life. School was interesting but ultimately boring. When I got a really good new game, I would want to play it - to the exclusion of almost everything else in my life.

As an adult, for a while after college, I played an online role playing game called Final Fantasy 11. It takes serious work and dedication to succeed within this game and you make friends with people from all over the world. I don't exaggerate a bit when I say this: it was, and still is, more fun than any other thing I have ever done in my life. Period. I don't play it any longer, because I start to lose all desire to do anything else. Quickly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 01:49 pm
@DrewDad,
That would be really awesome. Make it so painful they don't want to go on.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 01:51 pm
@sozobe,
Yes it is like that. They really want to go on it.

Fortunately most weeks they are way too busy to be on it in what I would consider too long. And with two, they need to take turns also limited the amount of time. I simply don't like them to be so intense about a website that seems to have no merit whatsoever.
0 Replies