dadpad

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 03:55 am
I'm reminded of a time when extended families all co existed within 4 walls. I have no experience with this style of family living so can't comment.

We (or rather our kids) began as a society to move out earlier when incomes increased reletive to cost of goods (dwellings) and services (loans).

Property prices have been increasing over the last 20 years reletive to wages because of property investors nd speculators so homes, rentals and loans are less affordable.

In addition we all have the tendancy to want the same level of luxury our parents have, the latest consumer goods as advertising tells us we should. On less (experienced) wages we just cannot afford it so we stay home and try to save, but not at the expense of fun with our friends.

I've been trying to figure out why the uptake of aprenticeships has been so low and I believe it is because employers pay the same (reletive) level of wages to an 18 or 19 year old that they would have 30 years ago to a 16 year old still living at home.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:57 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
I've been trying to figure out why the uptake of aprenticeships has been so low and I believe it is because employers pay
the same (reletive) level of wages to an 18 or 19 year old that they would have 30 years ago to a 16 year old still
living at home.
When I was an employer, hiring support staff or professional staff for my law firm,
I assigned individual salaries to jobs that I was endeavoring to fill, advertized those jobs
and then selected the best candidates from the applicants.

I neither knew nor cared whether any applicant lived at home or not.
I was not governed in my choice of applicants by his or her age,
tho estimated personal maturity might be a factor.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:31 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
That new stage was being posited in 1978 when I did my year of human development training.

I have a sneaky suspicion it all changed when parents started letting their kids have sex at home!

Ha! That's a good point though.

In my case (graduated in late 80's) I couldn't wait to get out of Dodge. That wasn't about sex (I knew it was allowed, my parents didn't care).

Quote:
That and needing longer and longer educations.

That's what the article talked about too. I do think it makes some sense that if college is essentially taking the role that high school took in the not-so-distant past (optional, but needed to get many of the better jobs), then the developmental period that used to be limited to HS stretches a bit.
0 Replies

Fiona Latom

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 04:19 am
I, personally, plan to let my son move out at the age of 19/20, and defiantly have him living on his own by the time he is 21. In my opinion, if a teenager isn't out of the house by the time their 21, then they develop the bad habbit of relying on their parents for everything. At that age, my son will be free to come and visit whenever he likes, and in fact, I will look forward to those days, but he will be out on his own. He's only 15 at the moment thought, so thats a few years away.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:41 am
@aidan,
I would be too. My daughter is 12 and I don't sign off on her homework or homework planner - that is her responsibility. Her teachers expect that she keeps track in her homework planner. I do ask what she has to do to help her plan her studies and homework as she has a few outside activities. But I do not make sure she does her work.

My 2nd grader has a planner where parents are expected to signoff. However as they move up into to the older grades, the parents do not signoff. Specifically so the child learns to take accountability for their own homework.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:43 am
Well, I have a plan and a crystal ball. My crystal ball tells me that my plan will work out just fine and my children will be out on their own once they graduate college. They may need 3-8 roommates to make ends meet, but that's the plan.

Sometimes my crystal ball lies to me though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 09:46 am
I think in part, that children do not move out or become self-sufficient until a little later because of the high cost of college in the US. Most young adults can not afford to live without their parents help while attending college and quite possibly a year or two afterwards.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I think in part, that children do not move out or become self-sufficient until a little later because of the high cost of college in the US. Most young adults can not afford to live without their parents help while attending college and quite possibly a year or two afterwards.
I was 13, when my family returned to New York from Arizona.
I then got my own apartment in one of our houses.
It was well fitted out, with everything that I wanted, to which I added, as time passed.
I can 't think of ANY reason to leave.

Its been well over 5O years now, and I 'm still here; no plans to leave.

David
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 12:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David I do not consider u 1 of the average type of children
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:17 pm
@Linkat,
My mother joined in your filosofy on that point.

David
0 Replies