Mensa type logic

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:04 am
A signpost which is logically consisitent tells you that CAIRO is 196 miles; TUNIS is 233 miles; MASERU is 257 miles and that ALGIERS is 281 miles. How far is it to BRAZZAVILLE on that basis?

P. S Could it be something to do with substituting Vowels and Consonants for numbers etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,550 • Replies: 10
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:16 am
@sophocles,
There is enough information in the picture to answer the question but you'd need a computer and a little bit of math programming to do it. ASSUMING the person asking the question is right about the distances, there should be one place only where circles around those three cities meet (which is where you are) and then you'd want to take the distance on a great circle arc from that point to Brazzaville.
sophocles

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
@gungasnake,
These are only made up distances. It is purely a letter logic puzzle where you substitute letters for numbers to arrive at the sum , but cannot work out the logic
gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:55 am
@sophocles,
I don't picture any sort of letter logic solving this one; it's a geometry problem.
engineer

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:02 am
@sophocles,
If ALGIERS was 318, you would have 61c + 24v + 2, but you don't. 233 is prime, so no multiplication. You can't use just the vowels since all five vowels are represented but you only have four equations. I don't see it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:03 am
@gungasnake,
It's not a geometry problem, it's geographically impossible.

Take a look at this previous question :

http://able2know.org/topic/163189-1
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:28 pm
@sophocles,
Is there a website where they list Mensa's tricks alphabetically (from '31' to '56')?

I get 464 miles, but it's easy to screw up the addition.
engineer

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:02 pm
@Oylok,
What was your logic for the solution?
Oylok

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 08:39 pm
@engineer,
Let a=1, b=2, etc.

Then add up all the letters...

Then tack on an additional 30 for each letter...

...to get the distance.

---------
EDIT:
For example CAIRO gives us 3 + 1 + 9 + 18 + 15 = 46,
Add 30 * (# of letters) to that to get 196.
This seems to work for all of them.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:17 pm
@Oylok,
Oylok wrote:
Is there a website where they list Mensa's tricks alphabetically (from '31' to '56')?

And...

...I apologise for the rather cryptic comment above, which was apparently too cryptic for anyone on earth to understand. I meant for it to serve as a sort of hint about how the logic of this signpost worked.

One way of making the four city names yield the appropriate distances is to assign 'a' a value of 31, 'b' a value of 32, and so on, until you end by assigning 'z' a value of 56. Then you can add up those values and get the appropriate distance to each city.

[C + A + I + R + O = 33 + 31 + 39 + 48 + 45 = 196]

So when I said above that "alphabetically" meant the same thing as "from '31' to '56'" I was trying to hint to people that the trick to solving this puzzle was to assign the letters 'a' through 'z' values from 31 to 56, respectively, and then to add them up.

Speaking cryptically seems to blow up in my face half the time, so I think from now on I'll leave cryptic remarks to the puzzle-masters at Mensa.
engineer

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@Oylok,
Once again, a very nice solution.
0 Replies