The Forest's Edge

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 01:15 pm
Oil on panel (2002)
Sorry for the flash reflection, I'll try to replace this with a better photo later. This piece may undergo more work, though it feels finished at the moment. Sometimes I have to live with a piece for awhile before it's faults overcome my initial fondness for children.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwDdAhQYLc*PwD9E!QWZMfTENSL5iNNRN6*C!rqwC*gyfhw1ZekcC639g1nRmawp0f5HaUULK4YRnTsNNZmz0wls6AdS6LU91TzsutFoF66e1q!fCl3yaA/Forest-Edge.jpg?dc=4675399755200678699
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:09 am
There are several ways to avoid the glare from photographing your art - Algis could probably advise you. I know one photographer who used an aquarium, doing the shoot through the water which refracted any glare. Shooting outdoors in a Northern exposure also works -- you may already know all of this, so pardon if I put my two cents in.

You're compositional expertise is excellent and I love the fact that there isn't the murkiness of the California impressionists and plein air painters. I can't figure out if you are closer to Corot than Cezanne but it is a very individual style so you certainly are on the right course.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:10 am
Wish I still had my gallery going because I would show your work.
If I ever open another, it will be in Laguna Beach, CA. so I'll keep in touch. Same for Algis' photography.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:36 am
I would like to put these children in a gallery somewhere, but resist all the BS that goes along with merchandising. My stuff comes in three basic flavors: Oil paintings that currently tend to be landscape oriented; drawings in colored pencil, ink and oil pastel, these are usually more abstract, and; Miscellaneous stuff like wall hangings, art boxes, etc.

Oil on canvas is my prefered medium, though I'm in the process of changing over to masonite pannels. Pannels are less expensive to paint on, can be constructed to avoid the need for frames, and makes it possible to get away from fields defined by right angles. Frames are a nightmare. Even the most basic artist frames cost far too much for an old guy living on a pension who doesn't make an effort to maximize sales. I really don't care how these children are framed -- there value to me is in the process of creating them.

Anyway, find me buyers and take a commission.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:31 pm
Nothing wrong with gessoed masonite -- the longevity is still extremely good. It's that some artists don't like losing the resiliancy and texture of painting on canvas. I often would gesso a panel and press a canvas into it to get the texture. Buyers are prejudiced towards canvas and buying the pre-streched is problamatic because you get a low grade of canvas. I used to buy a high quality cotton duck by the bolt from United Textiles in L.A. and have always stretched by own canvas. I also won't use watercolor board anymore -- also stretching good watercolor paper on a board.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:32 pm
BTW, I am still in contact with many galleries and will direct them toward your portfolio when I get a chance. Don't specialize in art marketing but ran the gallery as an annex to the custom lighting business.
0 Replies