military action against Libya

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:27 pm
This is the last thing I want to hear, if true, but, that's me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/29/libya-rebels-armed-by-us-uk

This is foul.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Obama at this point might as well come clean that he intends to push on with his will until Gadhafi is gone, regardless what Libyans or anyone else wants or thinks is right. THat would at least have the benefit of being honest, and give him a chance of coming out better in history than GHWB will.
roger

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
You think he has got his mind made up, then?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
I know arms trading is a giant morass in the first place, so I don't mean to sound stupid, given our propinquities. Straight out, I'm befuddled re the understanding of where we as a country might go.

I'm officially over Obama, rather long since, but the alternatives seem worse.

Sounds like a zoom to the military economy and its associates.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Considering how arming the Mujahideen worked out Obama should have his head examined for even considering the move. Gadhafi is a nut, but at least he was in a box and was no threat to us, the rebels if they win may or may not be. Come to think of it Saddam was in a box as well, but like Bush Obama sees the need to play with fire. We got burned in Iraq(in serveral ways, the worst likely to be the freeing up of IRAN to rule the region)...we'll see how this works out.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Odd how we agree - I suppose we should enjoy it for the time it lasts. Well I remember the mujahadeen and our push.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:34 pm
@roger,
Feet are in mouth.
I'd be pleased if he takes them out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I think things are going to get really messy; it's just a gut feeling.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yea, CI. But I wonder how we snurfed into this. What department saw opportunity and had contacts to push it?

Perhaps Hillary, but I'm not an automatic anti hillary person. On the other hand..

This would be very annoying if we go into this for his being nicey to Hillary.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I believe it's a natural progression once we step into the mud.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I added to my post, pls check.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm still neutral on Hillary, but only because I've not been too interested to find out how she's been connected to this issue. I have the habit of blaming the CIC for whatever goes wrong.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Eisenhower tried to warn us of the military industrial complex but no one listened to him. We are now paying the price in wasted recources and manpower. Blame the voters for voting for warlike governments.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think I am not neutral to her, as I take her as adamant (usually good practice) and insufficient re cognition. Alas, bombs are in the air.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:58 pm
@RABEL222,
I get you re the voters.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 06:25 am
@RABEL222,
Eisenhower is a good person to quote here, but not on that subject. Instead think of 1956, when he stopped a joint British-French-Israeli push from the Suez Canal into Egypt. At first the move was greeted with deep gratitude by Arabs generally but soon the sentiment turned against the US as well. Eisenhower tried to understand why his intervention had backfired so badly and called in all his advisers to have the matter of Arab ingratitude to obvious US generosity explained to him; minutes of that meeting are very pertinent to our current situation. "Nothing changes in history except names and dates" Smile
RABEL222

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 10:27 am
@High Seas,
Could you give me a place to look this up or is it still a state secret. I remember when Ike made the allies back down but cant find anything about what you stated. Yes I goggled it.
MJA

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 10:31 am
The military offensive in Libya as well as the other countries we have invaded is a far far cry from "The British are coming!" and the defense of our own.

=
MJA
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 11:03 am
Quote:
Quick vote
Should the United States have a role in arming Libyan rebels?

No....78%......85417
Yes.......22%....24097
Total votes: 109514
This is not a scientific poll

http://www.cnn.com/

Me thinks Obama should tread softly....hopefully he know realizes that he fucked himself when he threw in with the hawks. He really does not have credibility with the American People nor world leaders to spare.
talk72000

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'm still neutral on Hillary, but only because I've not been too interested to find out how she's been connected to this issue. I have the habit of blaming the CIC for whatever goes wrong.

She is connected to New York so she listens to the Jewish Lobby.
0 Replies