military action against Libya

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:35 am
Libya's rebels have thanked France for its role in the Western-led military blitz against the Kadhafi regime but said "outside forces" could now leave the country, in a letter published on Saturday.

"In the middle of the night, your planes destroyed tanks that were set to crush Benghazi. ... The Libyan people see you as liberators. Its recognition will be eternal," wrote rebel leader Mahmoud Jibril in the letter addressed to President Nicolas Sarkozy, published by the French daily Le Figaro.

However, Jibril added: "We do not want outside forces. We won't need them. We will win the first battle thanks to you. We will win the next battle through our own means." (from AFP)

http://i56.tinypic.com/34srv6g.jpg
Le Figaro, 26.03.2011, page 6
mysteryman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 08:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I have.
And in case you havent noticed, I am agreeing with you.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 09:24 am
@Setanta,
You need to look up the word paranoid. It is paranoia only if what i said isent true.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 09:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's the best news yet! I hope NATO takes heed, and stop bombing - especially the US forces.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm curious when the UN approved of the invasion of Iraq. They didn't pass any resolutions approving it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:30 pm
@parados,
parados, You are correct; the UN Security Council never approved the invasion of Iraq. This is from Wiki.

Quote:
United Nations Security Council and the Iraq War
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iraq War
Colin Powell holding a model vial of anthrax while giving a presentation to the United Nations Security Council.

In March 2003 the United States government announced that "diplomacy has failed" and that it would proceed with a "coalition of the willing" to rid Iraq under Saddam Hussein of weapons of mass destruction the U.S. insisted it possessed. The 2003 invasion of Iraq began a few days later.

Prior to this decision, there had been much diplomacy and debate amongst the members of the United Nations Security Council over how to deal with the situation. This article examines the positions of these states as they changed during 2002-2003.

Prior to 2002, the Security Council had passed 16 resolutions on Iraq. In 2002, the Security Council unanimously passed Resolution 1441.

In 2003, the governments of the U.S., Britain, and Spain proposed another resolution on Iraq, which they called the "eighteenth resolution" and others called the "second resolution." This proposed resolution was subsequently withdrawn when it became clear that several permanent members of the Council would cast no votes on any new resolution, thereby vetoing it. [1] Had that occurred, it would have become even more difficult for those wishing to invade Iraq to argue that the Council had authorized the subsequent invasion. Regardless of the threatened or likely vetoes, it seems that the coalition at no time was assured any more than four affirmative votes in the Council—the U.S., Britain, Spain, and Bulgaria—well short of the requirement for nine affirmative votes.[2]

On September 16, 2004 Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan, speaking on the invasion, said, "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN Charter. From our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal."
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that most of those trying to save the world from Gadaffi want to save the oil there for themselves.
I dont claim to know the real reason, but the claimed reason is that we are fighting on the side of the libyan people against Gadaffi. It gets very interesting though to watch the gymnastics required to deal with the fact that so many of the libyan people support Gadaffi enough to be willing to die defending his regime. The approach of choice is to only quote the rebels, and to allege that all those fighting for the other side are defective. As usual, our journalists flirt with gross incompetence and degrading their work into propaganda...
Regardless of what Sherman said: War is News!!!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 12:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I am a neo-con, I'm all in favor of a righteous American military coming to the rescue of benighted Wogs.

However...

Before invading Iraq, Bush sought and obtained the approval of Congress. Then he went on to secure the approval if the UN, and when he finally did invade Iraq he did so with a coalition that was approx 3 times the size of Obama's Libyan crowd.

Obama hasn't even given a nod to congress and yet the MSM couldn't care less.

Imagine if Bush tried to ignore congress.

Additionally, Obama is desperately trying to transfer leadership of the kinetic military action in Libya to some other poor sotted nation.

So now we find ourselves in a world where France, not the US, is leading the West.

Some of you will find this all too perfect, but you will not ask yourselves why France and Britain are so ginned up to assume leadership.

There are rewards for being The Leader. The French and British know this.

Obama is perhaps the first American president who, not only, doesn't care whether or not we preserve our Big Dog status, but would like to see us cede it to another nation.

That will not fly with Americans, nor should it. We spend a **** load of tax money to sustain the Big Dog status, and we don't need or want a president that runs shy of such status.

This crap could and should kill him in his re-election efforts.

If this crisis hasn't shown what an inept and pitiful leader Obama is, then nothing short of Armageddon will.

If and when The Apocalypse comes and Obama is president, we can count on him to negotiate appeasement towards The Whore of Babylon.

Good grief but he is an ineffectual, abstract minded, putz!

The approval of Congress was not necessary to go to war... It was a political device used to hamstring the left, because if they had not supported going to war under the circumstances they would have been political dead meat... But permission to go to war does not mean a president should go to war... What it does mean is bargaining power, and to have the support of the U.N. as well was a golden opportunity a smart man would have used to his best advantage while the idiot used it to take us to war... The U.S. had alread leased the shipping necessary to move an army and supplies... Saddam should have known war was in the mail... But it was still stupid
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 01:58 pm
@RABEL222,
It's not true. Before the Yom Kippur War, oil sold for around $2 a barrel. It was, in fact, down to $1.80 a barrel just before the war. Since the Arab Oil Embargo, the price has been steadily rising after a big initial jump. The people of the middle east are not being robbed by the energy companies, they're being robbed by their own governments, who are the ones getting the outrageous profits. Your comments constitute paranoia.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 02:08 pm
@Setanta,
That's called taxation in other countries. Some people pay over $9/gallon in today's world. I think it was in London, England.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
France was still a member of NATO.
Only so they could counter British and USA influence .

Quote:
And French forces were still in the southwestern region of Germany, presumably would have been used in a NATO war.
Would that presumption be based on their previous track record ?

Quote:
To "stop the Russians", in Germany had been Belgian, British, Canadian, Danish, Netherlands and US-American troops besides the Germans.
You can discount the Dutch, they were too busy grooming their hair . The others would have put up a fair fight but that doesn't detract from the French attitude of let the Ruskis run over Germany, then we can have a Nuclear War on German soil to stop the tanks...France never needs to commit .
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:44 pm
@Setanta,
so your saying that wall street isent raising the price of gas by tradeing with each and raising the market price?
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 07:15 pm
@RABEL222,
No, and i'd appreciate it if you didn't try to saddle me with your straw man arguments. People in the west raise the price of petroleum through futures trading, certainly, and that contributes to the price of every commodity, including winter weat and sow belly. But that is a far cry from your ridiculous claim about capitalists robbing the people of the middle east, and it is not germane to that topic. The high price of oil derives directly from the manipulation of the market by OPEC with its production ceilings and control of the amount of petroleum which is released to the market. Those nations make damned good money selling their petroleum, and if it's not getting to the citizens of their countries, you can't blame that on capitalists, unless you mean to specify the capitalists who rule those countries.

Really, that was a truly feeble straw man.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 07:17 pm
By the way, the center of commodities trading in the United States isn't Wall Street, it's the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. You're retailing worn-out stereotypes here.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:38 am

Gates: Libya Not a 'Vital Interest' for United States

Then why is Obama involved?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:26 am
@H2O MAN,
I do believe Obama has made an appointment to tell us, tomorrow.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:32 am
@hawkeye10,
He should have told us before the bombing started. That is what a competent President would do. I fear this clown has just helped the enemy find a homeland.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 09:55 pm
@Renaldo Dubois,
It's been reported that the US involvement in Libya is costing the taxpayers $2 billion every week. All this while we cut teachers in our country. What's wrong with this picture?
RABEL222

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Nothing is more important to the politicians than keeping the military industrial complex going. If we have to lay off a few teachers and cut social services so be it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 11:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A lot, but you know that.