Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:16 pm
I just read a piece in Slate by Edmund de Waal that seems written right at me, about the life of the mind and working with your hands, although I haven't this fellow's ability to describe his feelings (read intellectual observations, but actually strong feelings).

It doesn't hurt that Primo Levi - whose work he describes in relation to all this - may be my favorite author even though I have only read one book of his, The Reawakening.

Well, here's the link. I won't even begin to summarize.
http://www.slate.com/id/2288159/pagenum/all/

This is somewhat about making art, but it is also about making craft and, per me, making ordinary daily things well - not that I want to get into calling those different, I think it's a continuum.

de Waal's exhibit a year ago shows some of his prior work -
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/7530129e-35d4-11df-aa43-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1Frk0ANBP
Me, I'm neither here nor there on those pots, but his concentration reminds me of Morandi.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,473 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 11:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I read both articles, enjoyed more the
review of de Waal's exhibit. I too like Morandi, especially what his work says about his life style. The classical taste is something I do not have, but love. My approach to painting is more Dionysian than Appolonian. But I have a friend who makes prints, really beautiful works, so simple and elegant: with a purity that reflects his love for his materials and the manual process of his work.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 11:30 pm
@JLNobody,
I'm interested in the meshing, that we act with curiosity while we explore in making a painting or other works, while our hands move or don't. Or, making a good cabinet with joinery. I don't know about that since I haven't done it.

I've made batches of landscape paintings that only mean something to me, nothing to others, well the buyers, so I somewhat get the stoned insistence on a kind of perfection, though perfection was never a goal for me. I get the stoned sort of going on.

I'm more interested that this guy brings up the obvious, that people who work with their hands sometimes or often use their minds. There has been a lot of cultural dichotomy going on. I guess I wish we could hear great masons let loose and talk (I suppose we can, I haven't googled it). I've only known one really good mason, and the talk was all about how the wall would work, appropriate for the work occasion. But he was very artful, and now I'd like to hear more about his process.

I remember back when I was fixing up my mother's house in order to pay her nursing home bills (alzheimer's), that I had some friends come over one day to help me. Total waste of time. None understood how windows worked, etc.
My inamorata at the time was an m.d. He was the most clueless.
I was young then, but not so long before, when I was a teen, my parents and I had fixed up that house (my father knew carpentry), so I just had a glimmer about construction but my friends were out to lunch. Indeed, it ended up being a picnic and a day off for me.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 11:41 pm
@ossobuco,
based on my limited knowledge of your personal history, I'm assuming you meant your inamorato.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 11:48 pm
@dyslexia,
You're right, you brat. Good catch.

This will make me (force me even) put on the disc for de Andre's Mi innamoravo di tutto... (coda di lupo).

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:17 am
@ossobuco,
I haven't had a chance to read all of the articles you linked yet but it reminds me very much of a book I started just yesterday: "Shop Class as Soulcraft".

I've thought about you and Green Witch several times just in the first 50 pages.

You should check it out. I think you'd enjoy reading it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:14 pm
@boomerang,
I'm putting that on my wish list...
JLNobody

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:24 pm
@dyslexia,
Thanks, Dys. I was worried for a second.
boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't get a lot of time to read these days so it could take a while for me to finish it but if you want, I'll send you my copy when I'm done.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:23 pm
@boomerang,
I would love that. No hurry at all.
Will pm you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:29 pm
@JLNobody,
Ok, you're a brat too..
0 Replies