The Voice of the Aflac Duck Fired

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:07 pm
love jim norton's take on it, "**** aflac and their fake feigning sensitivity, aren't insurance companies just scumbags who place bets on wether you live or die, and then try and **** you out the money you deserve at every turn"
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Gibert Gottfried, the voice of the Aflac duck (and btw) one of my favorite commercials, has been fired.
apparently, he was found tweeting about the Japanese tragedy in a lighthearted manner.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/03/14/georgia.aflac.duck/

Aflac is sending out a casting call for a new duck.

It seems to me that the internet is so pervasive, that a person has to be very careful about what he writes there, even in jest.

What do you think? Should Gottfried have been fired? Are you careful about what you write in Facebook, or on Twitter?

I'm a little mixed on this.

One, is it silly that he was fired for making jokes, since he is a comedian anyways? What do people expect? Most comedians take a bad situation and try to make light of it through humor, but most people can't figure that out. They get too sensitive and can't see past it. Was it bad timing? Probably too early to be making jokes is what the problem was.

Anyways, I never really liked him anyways. I think his voice is annoying and his demeanor obnoxious. It probably won't faze him to have lost this gig for him. The insurance companies should be the ones being mocked anyways because they do more harm than good but people refuse to see that.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:19 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
It probably won't faze him to have lost this gig for him
How do you figure? He has barely been working in recent years, and I doubt that this is by choice.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:46 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
One, is it silly that he was fired for making jokes, since he is a comedian anyways? What do people expect? Most comedians take a bad situation and try to make light of it through humor, but most people can't figure that out.

I think that there are things that are so horrible, that it is in the poorest of taste about which to make jokes. How would we have felt in the U.S. if some Japanese comedian made jokes about it after 9/11?

Decent comedians joke about the absurdities of life, but not in a way that would be terribly hurtful to people experiencing a tragedy.

Years ago, I heard something, and although I do not remember all the details, the essence of it has stuck with me.

There was a show, I believe a talk show, that had Lorne Greene, the patriarch of Bonanza, and Don Rickles, the insult comedian. Anyone who has ever heard Don knew that nothing was exempt from his barbs.

Anyhow, Greene was either talking or giving a speech about something, and he flubbed badly. I held my breath. I was sure that Rickles would make a wiseass remark. I was wrong. He said nothing, and spared Greene an even greater embarrassment. I had a lot more respect for Rickles after that.

Although not in the category of either 9/11 or what is happening in Japan, I think that I have made my point.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Another thing I really wonder about is how much the japanese would care.....this kind of talk, had it been both an American tragedy and an American speaking would have been textbook gallows humor. I could make a pretty good case that contrary to the claim that Goddfried was being insensitive, that he was actually displaying an comedians version of empathy....
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 04:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Another thing I really wonder about is how much the japanese would care.

I think that they would care now, if they weren't so busy looking for missing relatives, and identifying loved one's bodies. I think that maybe when things get back to normal, there might be time for gallows humor, but not now!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorry I am fairly sure he is working under some contract so right to work or no right to work does not apply to him.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 04:28 pm
According to Glenn Beck, the earthquake and tsunami that continue to wreak havoc in the Pacific Rim were a "message" from God.

More Video
Watch: Comic Canned for Tsunami Joke
Watch: Celebrities' Tsunami Scare
Watch: Twitter and the TsunamiOn his radio show Monday, the conservative commentator rationalized the national disaster as God's work.

"I'm not saying God is, you know, causing earthquakes -- well I'm not not saying that either!" he said. "What God does is God's business, I have no idea. But I'll tell you this -- whether you call it Gaia or whether you call it Jesus, there's a message being sent. And that is, 'Hey you know that stuff we're doing? Not really working out real well. Maybe we should stop doing some of it.'"

He broke into a cackle before reiterating, "I'm just saying." (It's not clear why Beck brought up "Gaia" -- the word refers to the Greek version of Mother Nature but doesn't appear to have roots in Asian culture.)

CLICK HERE to listen to a clip from Glenn Beck's radio show.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:08 pm
Sympathy for Gilbert Gottfried

Mary Elizabeth Williams
Quote:
Too soon. After sending out a series of jokes about the Japanese earthquake and tsunami on his Twitter feed, comic Gilbert Gottfried has been roundly excoriated for his poor judgment, and on Monday, he lost his gig as the voice of the Aflac duck. Though he's since deleted the offending gags, nothing ever goes away on the Internet. Buzzfeed compiled 10 of the more outrageous ones -- a relentless string that included the observation that "I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said 'is there a school in this area.' She said 'not now but just wait'" and "I asked a Japanese girl to sleep with me. She said 'okay, but you'll have to sleep in the wet spot.'" Aflac, the No. 1 insurance company in Japan, said in a statement that the comments "were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac."

Gottfried isn't the first person in history, or indeed, even this week, to bomb. Michael Sorrentino, better known as The Situation, drew boos a few days ago at the Donald Trump roast for his crass, racist remarks. Do you know how hard it is to offend at a roast? For Donald Trump? And the always willing to say the wrong thing 50 Cent tweeted this weekend that "Its all good Till b*tches see there christian louboutins floating down da street **** gone get crazy" and "Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoe's from LA, Hawaii and Japan."

But the distinction between The Situation and 50 Cent and Gilbert Gottfried is that when The Situation and 50 Cent fall flat in their jokes, it's because they aren't comedians. There's something that rings especially offensive when someone unskilled in the craft of humor attempts it and flubs -- it's like listening to Pierce Brosnan sing. Gottfried, on the other hand, may not be your cup of comedy tea, but he hasn't been at this for over 30 years for nothing. And he's been shocking people just as long.

Gottfried is known for a variety of things: the voice of the parrot in "Aladdin," that Aflac duck, one of the millions of veterans of "Saturday Night Live." He's also the man who, nearly 10 years ago, introduced us formally to the concept of "Too soon!" At a Friar's roast for Hugh Hefner just two weeks after 9/11, Gottfried got up and quipped that he was trying to get a flight to Los Angeles, but "they said they have to connect with the Empire State Building first," inspiring that now-famous cry for comedic restraint in the face of disaster. Gottfried went on to win back the crowd by delivering a stunning version of the classic "aristocrats" gag -- and Frank Rich later called the performance, 9/11 bit and all, "greatest dirty joke ever told." "At a terrible time it was an incongruous but welcome gift," he wrote. "He was inviting us to once again let loose."

Of course, Gottfried was letting loose within the very culture that had suffered a blow. He wasn't an outsider halfway around the world. And two weeks after 9/11, the smoke had mostly cleared and the dead were largely accounted for. Japan is still very much under siege. They say comedy is tragedy plus time, but how much time, exactly? Heard any good Katrina jokes lately? When was the last time somebody really killed on Conan with a routine about Darfur? And even when the cathartic power of humor finds its way into a harrowing story, there's still a different level of acceptance for finding the funny in a movie clip about Hitler's last days and out and out riffing on the Holocaust.

Was it insensitive for Gottfried to make light of human tragedy -- and foolish to bite the quacking hand that feeds him? Absolutely. But what is a comic but another word for a fool? He was clumsy and tasteless, that's why he removed the posts. He told the Hollywood Reporter Tuesday, "I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my attempt at humor regarding the tragedy in Japan. I meant no disrespect, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families." But relatively speaking, Gottfried's ill-considered attempt at levity at a horrible moment still seems considerably less stupid than Glenn Beck's cackling speculation that the earthquake was "a message" from God to follow the Ten Commandments. At least Gottfried knew what he was saying was over-the-top and ridiculous. He intended it to be so.

In the wake of unsurpassed devastation, it's hard to find anything to smile about. Gottfried's instincts were a comic's: to look at catastrophe and try to attack it with the main weapon in his arsenal. In the worst moments of life, humor can be a potent force for healing (think of The Onion's brilliant post-9/11 coverage) -- or salt in a still bleeding wound. Gottfried was likely trying to lash out at the horror of the quake itself, but the barbs fell too close to its victims. And while timing is everything in comedy, for one comic, never might be too soon to start joking about this as-yet-unfathomable disaster.
http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/feature/2011/03/15/gilbert_gottfried_japan_tweets/index.html?source=rss&aim=/ent/tv/feature
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:21 pm
When I was early on a2k or maybe an earlier site about his mocking dwarfs, I railed at Slappy (I had an acquaintance.. a thalidomide person. I got all outraged.)

I came around. Everything is grist.

Let me recommend Primo Levi.

In the end, I think humor is perception, or at least can be.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
In the end, I think humor is perception, or at least can be.
Ya, but what happened here? It certainly appears that Gottfried was fired because the American bosses assumed that the Japanese people would find his attempt at humor to be offensive, but based upon what evidence? I dont find this idea to be hard to believe, as humor travels poorly across cultures, for instance look at how poorly British humor travels to America and vis versa...... but this was so fast, and the Japanese have no time for the petty stuff right now, so what was the evidence for offense?

Are we talking about the perception of Japanese people, or is it rather of American managers?
George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Simply management saying "We don't AFLAC associated with this in any way,
shape or form."
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 06:54 pm
@George,
In Defense of Gilbert "Aflac Duck" Gottfried

By Jack Shafer

Quote:
The biggest tactical mistake Gottfried made was not writing these jokes or even telling them. As I've illustrated above, sick jokes follow disasters like autumn follows summer, and there's always an appreciative audience with ears open wide to receive them. Had Gottfried introduced any of his Japan jokes in his comedy club routine, I doubt that any patron would have winced at his crudeness or insensitivity, let alone walked out. After all, Gottfried is known transgressor. He's the comic who, when lightly booed for telling a 9/11 joke at a Friars Club roast for Hugh Hefner three weeks after the attacks, segued into a triumphant, wildly obscene telling of the famous joke that's chronicled in the 2005 film The Aristocrats. The mystery to me is not why did Aflac sack him, but why did they hire him in the first place?
Gottfried's "mistake," if you want to call it that, was to tell his vile and timely jokes in a venue that he thought was as safe as a dinner party with a friend. Before posting, Gottfried must have thought, Who but a lover of daring comedy would follow me on Twitter? But he was wrong. The new rules have made everybody—including edgy comedians—accountable in the public sphere for the things they says "privately" in social media spaces. (See also the school teacher who gets fired because somebody finds a Facebook page of her chugging from a bottle of vodka.) Would Michael Richards have suffered the same universal shaming if his off-the-wheels racist attack on a heckler at an L.A. comedy club hadn't been videotaped and posted to the Web?
http://www.slate.com/id/2288387/
Quote:
Simply management saying "We don't AFLAC associated with this in any way,
shape or form."
Right, these are the same people who hired him ten years ago, and he has not hardly changed his schtick during the interim. That explanation does not wash.
George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
. . . That explanation does not wash.

Sure it does. The disaster is huge and horrifying. AFLAC wants no part, even
by association, of seeming to demean it.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:06 pm
@George,
Quote:
Sure it does. The disaster is huge and horrifying. AFLAC wants no part, even
by association, of seeming to demean it.
So was 9/11, but there Gottfried was cracking jokes about it almost immediately after....dont you see a little problem with your logic?? Have you ever listened to this guy? He as always been like this. The Japanese tweets are EXACTLY what anyone and everyone should have expected out of him based upon his long career. So now all the sudden Gottfried being Gottfried is a firing offense?? WHY?
roger

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Maybe it's a SAG contract.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Humor is also a release valve. I should have mentioned that.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
This reminds me of Mad Men (season 2 #3) when Edith Schilling gets insulted by Jimmy Barrett on the Utz's commercial set for her weight, she leaves in a huff (with her husband presumably planning to **** can at least Jimmy but perhaps Sterling-Cooper as well), and Don had to put together a dinner so that Jimmy could apologize. I cant find a clip on You Tube, I wish I could. An appology would have been fine, not giving Gilbert a chance to right the wrong was bad form.

Here is the commercial, just because I can and because I love this show

0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
....dont you see a little problem with your logic??

Nope. Gottfried's remarks after 9/11 didn't get the notice they did this time.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:37 am
@Phoenix32890,
I heard about it and it sickens me.