2010 Super Bowl Commercials

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:10 pm
I don't really care about the game (I haven't watched any football this season, or the last, or the...) but I like seeing the Super Bowl ads. This year it's rumored that Google is doing an ad. Eric Schmidt, their CEO, said "Can't wait to watch the Superbowl tomorrow. Be sure to watch the ads in the 3rd quarter (someone said 'Hell has indeed frozen over.')" on twitter.

The reference to Hell freezing over may be that Google has traditionally avoided branding advertising. They call it the last unaccountable spend in the corporate world. But they are always closely watch such huge advertising events. They aren't really a search engine so much as an advertisement agency. So it could also be a play to become more involved in TV ads. It will be interesting to see, but I may not be watching live. So if you are or if you run into the Super Bowl ads online please share them here.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh, here's an ad by Google that some say they will run for the Super Bowl (I doubt that it will be this one, they should make a new one if they go that big):

DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 02:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's a good one.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
They just showed it and this was the commercial. Every girl at my son's Super Bowl Party loved it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:03 pm
I liked the Snickers commercial with Betty white and Abe Vigoda.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:11 pm
@rosborne979,
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3rsaneyeXY
rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeh, that's the one Smile
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
@rosborne979,
That one was hilarious.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:28 pm
I don't think I'll ever buy Doritos again...
Eva

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:35 pm
@JPB,
SonofEva and I watched the Doritos Ninja commercial and both of us said, "WHAAAAT?" at the same time.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:36 pm
BTW, they're running a shortened version of the Google ad across the bottom of the page right now.

(Loved it!)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 12:43 am
Watched the Google ad with a bunch of Rednecks at an outdoor bonfire and Super Bowl party. They were scratching their heads. The word effete popped into my head to describe it.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:56 am
@panzade,
We didn't watch the game, but fired up the DVR afterward to watch the commercials.

What struck both of us was how most of the commercials were violent. The other theme that jumped out was emasculation. "Buy this product and you'll be a real man!"
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:14 am
@DrewDad,
What struck me was how many of them had animals -- most often rodents or chickens -- in them. And how most of them sucked this year.

This site has the commercials for viewing.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:53 am
@Ticomaya,
The one with the chickens screaming was really annoying. I don't even remember what they were advertising.
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:26 am
@DrewDad,
Yes, Denny's advertising with screaming chickens was weird. The E*trade babies have jumped the shark. The bull running beside the horses was a weak take-off of the dog training the horse/Rocky ad from previous years that I liked. The Doritos ad was strange. The Snickers (Betty White) ad seems to have received good reviews, but I was slow on the uptake and didn't understand it at first. Overall, a weak outing, but I did like the Google one. That was clever and actually highlighted Google's strenghts by showing a variety of different types of searches. I liked the Coke guy wandering in his sleep as well.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:07 am
We need to discuss the Focus On The Family ad

Is it the start of the politicization of Super Bowl ads?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:37 am
@panzade,
Yeah. The network nixes a gay ad, but greenlights an anti-abortion ad?

I'm not impressed with their politics. You'd think the Superbowl was on Fox, or something.
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:38 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The one with the chickens screaming was really annoying. I don't even remember what they were advertising.

I was going to mention that one but I couldn't remember the product!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:55 am
ONE??? There were at least three! They were for Denny's. I was tired of them after the first one!