High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:08 pm
@Ragman,
Oralloy never suggested that "entombing" Japanese reactors in "concrete" would solve the problem - he was responding to clueless posters here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:10 pm
@High Seas,
Huh? What did I say that you are replying to?

I was kidding around, dangerous thing to do, with how people mispronounce the word nuclear, including President Carter, whom I seem to remember was a nuclear engineer of some sort.
High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:11 pm
@Ragman,
The graphite explosion in Chernobyl is IMPOSSIBLE in the Fukushima reactors. Radioactivity spread, small fires, small explosions, sure. Please don't join the panicky ignoramuses posting endless drivel here and keep it brief - not meaning to sound peremptory (sorry!) but the emperor is unfortunately right.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:13 pm
@High Seas,
I've made no reference to graphite and similarities with Chernobyl. except this: the danger is dire and not just to this locality.

This just published :

"How does the crisis rank, in terms of nuclear plant accidents?

On Saturday, Japanese authorities ranked the incident a Level Four on a one-to-seven scale used to rank nuclear accidents. but things have worsened since then, and yesterday France's nuclear authority said it should be classified as a Level Six. Chernobyl is the only Level 7 accident ever to have occurred. "

Quite possibly you are the one who is misinformed. There are distinct engineering and safety differences from this scenario to Chernobyl. the bottom line is that is unclear WHAT the danger is to how much of the popualtion but there is no need to tell people not to worry.

There is plenty to worry about and react appropriately NOW. The world is and should be on high alert to help wherever and however they can.

There are a lot of employes (at least 50) already exposed to radiation right now who may either die or contract cancer. And dependiong on weather conditions, the exisiting radiation may spread. You are uncertain of the current danger and so why assume you know more than the scientists and officials who are saying that the situation is dire? Why else would China and so many other nations be moving their citizenry out or away from the area?
High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:15 pm
@Ragman,
It's a 6. May get to a 7.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:16 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
The graphite explosion in Chernobyl is IMPOSSIBLE in the Fukushima reactors. Radioactivity spread, small fires, small explosions, sure. Please don't join the panicky ignoramuses posting endless drivel here and keep it brief - not meaning to sound peremptory (sorry!) but the emperor is unfortunately right.
If the fuel melts no one knows if the containment system will hold it, I have heard experts say that the containment system is significantly better than some in the world but it is also significantly worse than the best than modern science has to offer. Thus the rush to try to keep the fuel rods from completely melting.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
thanks
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Carter was a naval officer on Admiral Rickover's first nuclear sub, Nautilus.
High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Read the damn links, I posted enough of them - NOBODY is talking about a NEW TOTAL core meltdown, only spent fuel pools neutrons going haywire. For now - and if the pools can't be controlled yes, that's a huge danger of radioactivity by PARTIAL core meltdowns, which have already happened, but the danger is ONLY for the immediate vicinity - but NO Chernobyl-type radioactive cloud.

There is NO danger anywhere except in Japan. Right now. Stop terrorizing people on the West Coast, or AU/NZ, or anywhere else.
JTT

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:29 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Quite possibly you are the one who is misinformed.

High Seas, "misinformed", "ignorant", perish the thought!

How could you possibly think that this lady [I use the term lightly] who proffers tiny bits of disjointed information designed to make her appear intelligent/well informed is misinformed?

You have some nerve!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:31 pm
@High Seas,
but the point is...getting lsot in the text. This IS more than you seem to be understanding. There is more than one partial meltdown and the danger is high that a complete meltdown might occur. The risk to the immediate local population in Japan is dire.
High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:34 pm
@Ragman,
Sure - dire. And if winds aloft shift it will be a danger for others around the Pacific rim as well - IFF criticality continues in the reactors and spent fuel pools.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:34 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
NOBODY is talking about a NEW TOTAL core meltdown, only spent fuel pools neutrons going haywire

Quote:
SOMA, Japan -- The fuel rods in all three of the most troubled Japanese nuclear reactors -- each of which lost its cooling system in Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami -- appear to be melting, the nation's chief government spokesman said Monday.
"Although we cannot directly check it, it's highly likely happening," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.
Water levels dropped precipitously Monday inside a stricken Japanese nuclear reactor, twice leaving the uranium fuel rods completely exposed and raising the threat of a meltdown, hours after a hydrogen explosion tore through the building housing a different reactor

Read more: http://foxnews.com/world/2011/03/14/second-explosion-stricken-japan-nuke-plant/#ixzz1GnhjDH5u
High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
I've finally lost patience with you and I will say this: YOU are an IDIOT who couldn't calculate neutron flux to save his life. Neither can your source, but said source doesn't suggest he can. Stop zeroeing other posts, for my own I don't care. Goodbye, dumbo Smile
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:38 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

I've finally lost patience with you and I will say this:

YOU are an IDIOT who can't calculate neutron flux to save his life. Neither can your source, but said source doesn't suggest he can. Goodbye, dumbo Smile

We agree on one thing, at least.

He just likes to hear himself talk, and it's sad to say, but whatever threads he latches onto quickly become ruined.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
BY MARTHA RADDATZ
March 14, 2011
Quote:
What is worst-case scenario in Japan?

CIRINCIONE: The worst case is multiple reactor meltdowns. That means that the reactor core, the fuel, gets so hot that it fuses together into molten lava and that bursts right through the reactor container vessel, and right through the concrete containment box that is built around the reactor. Then radioactivity goes in the air, in the ground, in the water. It is a mess.

The danger is that it happens, not just at one reactor but two or three reactors at once. That means you have an arch of radioactivity over hundreds of squared kilometers contaminating, perhaps, possible thousands of square kilometers.

KAKU: The worst-case scenario is a steam/hydrogen gas explosion which blows the reactor vessels apart, sending uranium dioxide fuel rods and radioactive debris into the air. This might happen if the core is fully exposed for a few hours, which is a distinct possibility. This is what happened at Chernobyl, when such an explosion blew about 25 percet of the core's radioactive byproducts into the air

How far can the radiation travel in the worst case?

KAKU: [In the event of fuel rods and reactive debris being sent into the air,] a plume containing iodine, cesium, and strontium would rise above the reactor. The winds would blow it 20-50 miles downwind from the site. The plume, like a lighthouse beam, would be pencil-thin, about 15 degrees, and would sweep back and forth depending on the wind.

CIRINCIONE: A lot depends on weather and wind conditions. If the wind is blowing out to the ocean, as it usually does, then most of the contamination goes out there. If the wind shifts south, well then, some of the most heavily populated areas of Japan are at risk including Tokyo itself…

It is possible the fires could be so hot that it could send radioactive particles into the upper atmosphere, carrying it across the Pacific. It would hit the southern parts of Alaska and the west coast of Canada and the United States in about ten days
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nuclear-meltdown-essential-questions-japanese-reactors/story?id=13134767

Joseph Cirincione, who was the Director for Non-Proliferation at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and author of Deadly Arsenals: Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Threats.

Dr. Michiko Kaku, a theoretical physicist at the City University of New York.

High Seas: I expect you to now admit that you were wrong and that I am right.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:48 pm
Timelapse animation of the quakes/shocks since 9 March. Pretty music. Ominous consequences

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

High Seas wrote:

I've finally lost patience with you and I will say this:

YOU are an IDIOT who can't calculate neutron flux to save his life. Neither can your source, but said source doesn't suggest he can. Goodbye, dumbo Smile

He just likes to hear himself talk, and it's sad to say, but whatever threads he latches onto quickly become ruined.

Cycloptichorn

Thanks, and this being your thread I trust you'll take care to avoid anybody's attempt to ruin it. Btw, Banzai and Dai Nippon means Japan, 10,000 years Smile
JTT

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 04:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Jeeze, next thing you know, Cy, you'll be calling Hawkeye a troll.

One who wasn't an idiot would be able to discern that Hawkeye wasn't "talking".

He, in fact, provided material where he was completely silent. That material was from, according to an American network, two experts who gave an account that seems to call into question High Seas' widely vacillating pontifications.

JTT

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Btw, Banzai and Dai Nippon means Japan, 10,000 years

Y'all might want to check a more reliable source for your translations.